JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vintage photos of Governing Body Members and other things..

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1097 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 hours ago, jayrtom said:

.... I wonder if the inhabitants of that house know of its story 

🤔

It is officially listed as a Historical building and registered in San Diego.  Anyone buying the home would have to know this because of any remodeling restrictions that designation incurs.

I got the address by looking up the registration.

20 minutes ago, jwhess said:

It is officially listed as a Historical building and registered in San Diego.  Anyone buying the home would have to know this because of any remodeling restrictions that designation incurs.

I got the address by looking up the registration.

Thanks, I didn't imagine that :o

13 hours ago, jwhess said:

Sr. Margaret, the Watchtower Library (on DVD) for windows and the Watchtower Online Library (WOL) both have yearbooks back to 1970.  The only editions that have pictures (scans) are after 2012.

Some of us collectors have PDF yearbooks back to the beginning (1927 edition).

I would love to get them so I can read them

On 7/25/2019 at 7:32 PM, Margaret said:

I would love to get them so I can read them

We were asked to help dispose of the books in the library. I took all the yearbooks dating as far back as 1929 with the intention to read them. It's a shame there are a few missing but will read them as pdf's.

Just love reading a physical book in bright sunshine IMHBBO 

We were asked to help dispose of the books in the library. I took all the yearbooks dating as far back as 1929 with the intention to read them. It's a shame there are a few missing but will read them as pdf's.
Just love reading a physical book in bright sunshine IMHBBO 

I love reading on my device, which handles bright sunshine fine. :-)

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 7/26/2019 at 6:38 AM, jayrtom said:

Does any one has a list of all the GB members they were (with pics) I think I saw it somewhere but can't remember...

I did some research and a table about the formation of the Governing Body (no photos, but it is already a way). Although in Portuguese, I think anyone can follow.

Although the table contains Raymond Franz's name, I removed it from the final name list, since he later became an apostate (as far as I know).

If anyone wants to edit it to make it more complete, feel free.

Follows the attached file. 👇

Corpo Governante.docx

4 hours ago, Araujo JW said:

Although the table contains Raymond Franz's name, I removed it from the final name list, since he later became an apostate (as far as I know).

Corpo Governante.docx 27.68 kB · 5 downloads

Depending on how far back yoou go in the Theocratic history, several Directors or GB members left our organization over the years.  It does not change the history (we stilll read about 12 apostles including Judas).

1 hour ago, Araujo JW said:

Does anyone have the memorial brochures of Governing Body members, please?

I needed the brochures of some members: Brother Carey Barber, Daniel Sydlik and Albert Schroeder. 

I have some, I will share here:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 2:35 PM, jayrtom said:

Note: Isn't Don Adams dead?

Not as far as I know.  He was alive at age 94 when I last checked.  He was born in 1925.  So he was replaced as president in 2014 (when he was 88-89 years old. But he is still living.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:19 PM, jwhess said:

Depending on how far back yoou go in the Theocratic history, several Directors or GB members left our organization over the years.  It does not change the history (we stilll read about 12 apostles including Judas).

And  maybe 14 (?) if you count Judas, replacement and Paul, apostle to the Nations

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

Not as far as I know.  He was alive at age 94 when I last checked.  He was born in 1925.  So he was replaced as president in 2014 (when he was 88-89 years old. But he is still living.

Oh, I heard there was a new president and was almost certain that I saw a memorial brochure for him... Then it was for someone else 

On 8/8/2019 at 2:42 PM, Araujo JW said:

Yes, it looks like it passed away in 2014. This photo I found in my files, but I don't know exactly when the data is. 

I do not find any record of Brother Adam's death either in the Watchtower Library nor Wikipedia.  

While he is no longer serving as president of the Society, that doesn't in itself indicate he has passed away.  It simply indicates he is no longer serving in that capacity.

Thought I'd include this bio of Bro Carey  Barber from our ROM.   Rejoicing Over “Victory With the Lamb”
IN A letter he wrote in 1971, Carey W. Barber reflected on his first 50 years of service to the true God: “The years in Jehovah’s service have been unusually good. The association with his people; the protection from the evildoers of Satan’s world; the prospect of victory with the Lamb, Jesus Christ; and the evidence of Jehovah’s love combine to bring about that sweet peace and inner satisfaction that guard the heart and give sure hope of the final triumph.”
Six years later, Brother Barber, a spirit-anointed Christian, began serving as a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. In that capacity during the following 30 years, he continued to look forward to “victory with the Lamb.” He achieved that by proving faithful until his death at the age of 101 on Sunday, April 8, 2007.—1 Corinthians 15:57.
Born in England in 1905, Carey Barber was baptized in Winnipeg, Canada, in 1921. Two years later he and his twin brother, Norman, transferred to Brooklyn, New York, to help with a new project. At that time, Jehovah’s people were about to begin producing their own books for spreading the good news of the Kingdom “in all the inhabited earth.” (Matthew 24:14) One of Brother Barber’s early assignments was that of running a small press. Among the items printed were law briefs for legal cases being taken to the United States Supreme Court. In time, Brother Barber worked in the Service Department, focusing on congregation matters and the preaching work around the country.
Having that background, Brother Barber was well-qualified when in 1948 he was assigned as a traveling minister, visiting assemblies and congregations all over the western part of the United States. He said that he particularly enjoyed being out in the fresh air in the public preaching activity. This assignment brought many brothers and sisters into contact with Brother Barber. His quick mind and zeal for the ministry proved very useful when he later attended the 26th class of the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead. During the school term, he became acquainted with a fellow student from Canada, Sydney Lee Brewer. After graduation they married and had their honeymoon on the short trip to serve the congregations in the area of Chicago, Illinois. Sister Barber proved to be a valuable companion and a constant source of support to her husband during their two decades in the traveling ministry.
Those who got to meet Brother Barber and to know him during his decades as a district or circuit overseer or during the 30 years he spent working and traveling as a member of the Governing Body will long remember his talks and lively comments. We have every reason to rejoice over his “victory with the Lamb.”