JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vintage photos of Governing Body Members and other things..

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1100 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brother Henschel was the visiting Bethel speaker at the dedication of our new Kingdom Hall in the early 1990's.  I still have his recorded talk on a "cassette tape"...lol.  So glad I mustered up the courage at that time to greet and thank him for coming to our congregation. :)

Edited by Omoyeme

41 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

Brother Henschel was the visiting Bethel speaker at the dedication of our new Kingdom Hall in the early 1990's.  I still have his recorded talk on a "cassette tape"...lol.  So glad I mustered up the courage at that time to greet and thank him for coming to our congregation. :)

There are ways to convert that to mp3 if you want to preserve it electronically. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, kejedo said:

Spoke with Brother Splane over the weekend. I had met him and his wife, before, at our local cong. He was also the CO  here, but before my moving to NY.

10 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

We(I) want photos :)

Edited by jayrtom

I was intorduced to and shook hands with Br. Knorr, Br. Covington and Br. Franz and have never washed my right hand since. 

That was in 1946.  :lol:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 2 months later...

Today we do our public witnessing by cart (or trolley) for the most part.  But in days gone by (1930's to 1950's) we used the Magazine Bag.  We stood on street corners and offered the literature.  We also used the bags in the door-to-door ministry as well.  The straps on the bags were kind of long for the little ones.

bag6.jpg

bag7.jpg

bag5.jpg

bag4.jpg

bag3.jpg

bag2.jpg

bag1.jpg

On 9/18/2018 at 11:34 PM, jwhess said:

I have most (all?) of the records Br. Rutherford made for the "phonograph-work" door-to-door. But I don't think I have them in a written transcript.  I listen to one once in a while for nostalgia's sake.  I have a few of his convention speeches as well.

Brother John,

may I kindly ask you, is those records could be shared? If so, may I please, have them?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Misha said:

Brother John,

may I kindly ask you, is those records could be shared? If so, may I please, have them?

Thanks.

Br. Misha, there are something like 3 dozen recordings just of Rutherford's records plus many more of his Convention Discourses.  I do not know how much data space this takes up, but I will look into it.  Maybe i could post some of them on my Box account for download.

I have attached on of his famous records...Religion is a Snare and a Racket.....enjoy...:sunshine:

Religion-Rutherford.mp3

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Misha, there are something like 3 dozen recordings just of Rutherford's records plus many more of his Convention Discourses.

Br. John, thanks a lot for this. Look forward to be able to download the rest 😊

Br. Misha, there are something like 3 dozen recordings just of Rutherford's records... Maybe i could post some of them on my Box account for download.

I have attached on of his famous records...Religion is a Snare and a Racket.....enjoy...:sunshine:
Religion-Rutherford.mp3

I have some records, but a far cry from the ful set. I ripped these down to MP3 files.
If you do upload them, I would also appreciate the link...

Just Older

3 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

I have some records, but a far cry from the ful set. I ripped these down to MP3 files.
If you do upload them, I would also appreciate the link...

I will try to revisit these requests in the future, but I am deeply involved in a current LDC project (or two) that will  keep me busy for some time.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 9/18/2018 at 1:17 PM, carlos said:

Not that occasion but similar. :)

The one I remembered was at the Madison Square Garden in New York in 1939. Interesting how those fanatics began shouting "Heil Hitler! Viva Franco!" I guess a couple years later anyone in America shouting "Heil Hitler!" wouldn't be kindly looked on.

What courageous brothers!

This quote is going back a few years, but I was researching a historical topic and came across some material from the 1939 Madison Square Garden talk and violence.  Attached are a copy of the front page of the Messenger (which was a convention booklet in those days) and a copy of the front page of the Kingdom News tract we released in complaint against the agitators.  I have a copy of the entire 1 hour public discourse by JF Rutherford from this convention.  It was "Government and Peace", and was released as a booklet (transcript) as was the custom in older conventions.

ms5.JPG

kn4.JPG

gp.JPG

Would someone post the 'post 1919' Cedar Point, Ohio assembly photo that was panoramic?  The audience appeared to be seated under trees, outside.  Versions of this have appeared in the publications but not the entire panoramic view.  It was lost from our family sadly.  It was a prized photo that featured a family member in the audience.

On 6/3/2020 at 5:01 PM, jwhess said:

During a research project yesterday, I came across this message from Br, Russell (our 2nd President) that he wrote 106 years ago.  The opening line is just as true today...👍

What do you mean by "our 2nd president?" 😕

2 hours ago, jayrtom said:

What do you mean by "our 2nd president?" 😕

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Rutherford was the 2nd president of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

32 minutes ago, Jimi-L said:

Wasn’t he 3rd? W.H.Conley was 1st and Russell 2nd.

William Henry Conley Was one of the original Allegheny Bible Students with CT Russel and his father.  Conley's house was the meeting place for the Bible study group.  He was a business man and banker. When organization was needed to grow the publishing work, Conley was selected President of the Zion Watch tower Tract Society.  A few years later, the work grew even larger and they decided to incorporate the Zions Watch Tower and Tract Society.  Conley could not do that full-time so CT Russell volunteered to take over.

*** jv chap. 26 p. 576 Producing Bible Literature for Use in the Ministry ***
The following year the first of an extensive series of tracts designed to interest people in Bible truths was prepared for publication. This work quickly took on immense proportions. In order to handle it, Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society was formed on February 16, 1881, with W. H. Conley as president and C. T. Russell as secretary and treasurer.

Conley William Henry2.jpg

Conley-5.JPG

Two side points:

[1] this historical information is used by our opposers to show that Jehovah's Witnesses are not educated in the history of our organization (we are "gullible").  It is a trick question to fluster a publisher at the door.  Br. Conley was the first president of the legal Watch Tower Society but not the first president of the Incorporated Watch tower Society.  So even though we printed the information about Conley's presidency in the Proclaimer's book, many have not read it or become familiar with it.  However, It is not "hidden".

[2] I believe there is an error in my statement about the death of Conley in 1897.  I cannot find any written notice of CT Russell putting such a notice in the Watchtower pages.  My apologies.