JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Social Credit - China, who's next?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2025 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-18/china-social-credit-a-model-citizen-in-a-digital-dictatorship/10200278

With cameras everywhere, all it takes is for countries to follow China's example and control its citizens by awarding social points for good social behaviours, or punishing citizens with reducing their social credit score.  This will deny them access to travel, jobs and good schools etc.  Big Brother actually has come true!

China is building a digital dictatorship to exert control over its 1.4 billion citizens. For some, “social credit” will bring privileges — for others, punishment.

My goodness, doesn't Rev 13:16, 17 sound eerily true now.

It puts under compulsion all people—the small and the great, the rich and the poor, the free and the slaves—that these should be marked on their right hand or on their forehead, and that nobody can buy or sell except a person having the mark, the name of the wild beast or the number of its name.

They completely miss the point. Amazing...

“. . .He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’” Matthew 22:37-39

If they really wanted to improve their citizens they should give the WHQ an open invitation to preach, teach and baptize!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

47 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

With cameras everywhere, all it takes is for countries to follow China's example and control its citizens by awarding social points for good social behaviours, or punishing citizens with reducing their social credit score.  This will deny them access to travel, jobs and good schools etc.  Big Brother actually has come true!

Life imitates art!  Society controlled by social media.

The Orville. Season 1, Episode 7:  Majority Rule

An undercover team led by Grayson lands on Sargas 4, an Earth-like planet with a culture similar to that of 21st-century human civilization, to locate two missing anthropologists. There, LaMarr is arrested after a video of him dancing with a beloved statue receives more than a million "down" votes, and must convince the public to pardon him or be subjected to "treatment" for his actions. Alara and Claire locate one of the missing, but find him in an irreversible lobotomized state. With LaMarr facing a final vote to determine his guilt, Mercer brings one of the planet's inhabitants, Lysella, aboard the Orville after she witnesses Alara's true appearance, and she explains about the "Master Feed", which Isaac is able to hack and upload doctored images of John, narrowly swinging the vote in his favor by generating sympathy for John, such as uploading images of John as a fat child or videos of him as a soldier reuniting with his dog. Now free, John and the others return to the ship and depart. The next day, Lysella decides against taking part in a public vote, contemplating the advice the Orville crew gave her about the difference between opinion and knowledge.

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Life imitates art!  Society controlled by social media.

The Orville. Season 1, Episode 7:  Majority Rule

An undercover team led by Grayson lands on Sargas 4, an Earth-like planet with a culture similar to that of 21st-century human civilization, to locate two missing anthropologists. There, LaMarr is arrested after a video of him dancing with a beloved statue receives more than a million "down" votes, and must convince the public to pardon him or be subjected to "treatment" for his actions. Alara and Claire locate one of the missing, but find him in an irreversible lobotomized state. With LaMarr facing a final vote to determine his guilt, Mercer brings one of the planet's inhabitants, Lysella, aboard the Orville after she witnesses Alara's true appearance, and she explains about the "Master Feed", which Isaac is able to hack and upload doctored images of John, narrowly swinging the vote in his favor by generating sympathy for John, such as uploading images of John as a fat child or videos of him as a soldier reuniting with his dog. Now free, John and the others return to the ship and depart. The next day, Lysella decides against taking part in a public vote, contemplating the advice the Orville crew gave her about the difference between opinion and knowledge.

I thought that was an interesting episode.  I felt it was forboding in what society in headed for now.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 5:39 PM, Antz12 said:

This reminds of the George Orwell book 1984. I remember studying it as a young girl for school and some of the fears never left me. Life really is imitating art. emoji51.png

I often go back and forth trying to figure out if the community/society I live in today is more like 1984 (dystopian) or Brave New World (utopian) since are so many elements of both.

But sometimes I think that they are essentially the same;  erasing the ability for people to learn about their Creator, one through secularism and constant pleasure, the other through micro-management and control of each individual.  Two means of accomplishing the same thing...

16 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

Is it worth watching? A workmate of mine was always talking about it, but she's a bit on the nutty side and Seth MacFarlane has made some great humour but also some that goes too far.

It's the same.  "too far" is a subjective term.  It might be a little bit better than Family Guy. 

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

I often go back and forth trying to figure out if the community/society I live in today is more like 1984 (dystopian) or Brave New World (utopian) since are so many elements of both.

I never saw Brave New World as utopian. Definitely not the city life with its caste system. 

On 10/6/2018 at 6:03 AM, Shawnster said:

I never saw Brave New World as utopian. Definitely not the city life...

this may be hard to imagine since you're from the US but urbanization doesn't have to equal pollution, drugs and gang violence 😂

Edited by Brandon

On 10/5/2018 at 10:36 AM, ChocoBro said:

Is it worth watching? A workmate of mine was always talking about it, but she's a bit on the nutty side and Seth MacFarlane has made some great humour but also some that goes too far.

i like it 

its like star trek TNG, its to bad it was on only for one year 

punishing citizens with reducing their social credit score.

would not work here in the USA i would say 90% of the would-be punished within a few days 

Edited by bobby