JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pool care

I'm not a pool guy, never have been, however I am assigned to care for the AH baptism pool. 

I'm having a problem with calcium ring building up around the pool. I tried a product that was recommended by a local pool place and nearly ruined a few tiles.

Does anyone here have any experience with removing calcium ring from dark pool tile?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Have you tried a product called CLR 

image.jpeg.af98295ce0d17049820dece9a71791cd.jpeg

It is sold in WalMart

I think the previous caretaker used similar products when the pool was empty,  I'm not sure if they worked.  I don't want to use anything harmful while the pool has water in it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

I found this on Google.
Seemd free of nasty chemicals

I have researched the internet and saw suggestions for vinegar but I don't have a way to apply it to vertical tile and I don't want the pool to smell like vinegar. 

I've also seen suggestions to use muriatic acid. I may try that soon.

Sadly Tony I found vinegar not very effective. 

Personally I wouldn't try muriatic acid, it's nasty, but that's just me. The site below shows you how to test for the different types.

Here's some good information. I have the same trouble with my hot tub. I can clean it twice a year but drain it first. With water in it means a different approach.

The scaling may be 2 different types so need different treatment. 

http://blog.lathampool.com/remove-calcium-scaling-in-your-swimming-pool

Also, I had to adjust my water balancing to correct for water hardness. Maybe that will help you in future.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

10 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Also, I had to adjust my water balancing to correct for water hardness. Maybe that will help you in future.

I think that is contributing to the problem. The pool is used on each weekend and sits all week out of balance until I come in on Friday to adjust it. The current LDC Maintenance day is Friday so there currently isn't any arrangement for me to come earlier in the week, however, I suspect that if I was able to adjust the pool earlier in the week that it might help prevent the calcium buildup, so I plan to ask the AH Overseer if I can come in earlier in the week.

BTW: thanks for the link, I have looked at that site too...

Edited by Tortuga

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I think that is contributing to the problem. The pool is used on each weekend and sits all week out of balance until I come in on Friday to adjust it. The current LDC Maintenance day is Friday so there currently isn't any arrangement for me to come earlier in the week, however, I suspect that if I was able to adjust the pool earlier in the week that it might help prevent the calcium buildup, so I plan to ask the AH Overseer if I can come in earlier in the week.

BTW: thanks for the link, I have looked at that site too...

I found that link informative. I learned a little.

Balancing is important to do right away, I agree. I'm diligent about it because the whole system is involved. It could cause bigger problems. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

30 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Is it a big pool? Can you drain it afterwards so that no water sits in there to create the rings. Use the water on the gardens, so it really is being put to good use... might also reduce any risk of bacteria etc., attaching itself to the next candidates.

Just Older emoji856.png

2500 gallons. Unfortunately the current method for draining the pool takes 8 hours to empty it and 3 hours to fill it. I am scheduled to do that once a year in May. 

The current AH Overseer said that at the last AH he was at, they would drain the pool after each event so they never had to worry about treating and maintaining the pool chemistry. Unfortunately that isn't feasible at this AH.

Over here we have a clear paint we use on the glass part of the front house doors. Then you paint (spray) the whole door, and when dry, you peel the clear paint/coating off.
Perhaps you could coat one row of tiles at water level (the row that gets the calcium stain) with this protecting layer. Then, when necessary, just drop the water level, peel off and re-apply.
Then you only need to 'top up' the pool when dry.
(After reading what I wrote, I think use the acid!)

Just Older

Is it possible to install a water softener specifically designed for hardness and/or calcium in the pool filtration system?

https://www.waterfilters.net/Calcium-Water-Treatment.html

https://www.filterwaterdirect.com/information/remove-calcium-from-water

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Is it possible to install a water softener specifically designed for hardness and/or calcium in the pool filtration system?

https://www.waterfilters.net/Calcium-Water-Treatment.html

https://www.filterwaterdirect.com/information/remove-calcium-from-water

There is room in the piping for a small filter to be installed, I'd have to request someone at LCD to review that but its a good idea.

8 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Over here we have a clear paint we use on the glass part of the front house doors

https://www.amazon.com/Jasco-GJMS00292-Liquid-Mask-1-Gallon/dp/B0067NLX5A

Here is a product like what you have..

Screenshot_2018-12-29-10-42-54-1.png

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

4 minutes ago, Cherie said:

Maybe a good scrubbing with citric acid?

I know it works great in my dishwasher and water distiller on mineral deposits...

https://bio-dex.com/index.php/products/tile-cleaners-sealers/300-tile-cleaner/

Several pool places recommended this product and I talked to one of the guys that actually uses it, he told exactly how to use it. Unfortunately I damaged several tiles before I realized it, so I'm being very cautious. I haven't found a citrus based product yet and I don't know if citrus would remove calcium silicate.

Not sure if this will help ...

There are two types of calcium scales that form in pools: calcium carbonate and calcium silicate. Calcium carbonate is white and flaky, and it’s fairly easy to take off. Calcium silicate, in contrast, is white-grey and more difficult to move.

Additionally, because calcium silicate takes longer to form, pools that have calcium silicate buildup on their walls often also have scaling in their pipes. If your pool’s scaling proves to be calcium silicate, you may need to hire a professional to remove the deposits in your pool and its filtration system.

To see what type of calcium scaling has built up on your pool, place a few drops of muriatic acid on a deposit. Calcium carbonate will react with the acid and foam; calcium silicate will not.

http://blog.lathampool.com/remove-calcium-scaling-in-your-swimming-pool

No one has mentioned H2O2  Hydrogen Peroxide 30-35%. I used to use it in my  drilled rock well to keep iron bacteria down.

The iron bacteria would make everything reddish plus the water smelled & tasted terrible.

Rate was 1 US oz  to 100 US gal. of 35% food grade. Don't get it on yourself or clothing, etc., because at that % it basically oxidizes

everything ( = burning/bleaches  ). I diluted it in a jug of water then poured it in my water well.

Can be used in pools ( or use UV light  or ozone ) instead of chemicals.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Yes, H2O2 will work on iron - that is one of the reasons it works on blood - however, even though it is an acid, it is a rather weak acid and has very little effect on calcium

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

To see what type of calcium scaling has built up on your pool, place a few drops of muriatic acid on a deposit. Calcium carbonate will react with the acid and foam; calcium silicate will not.

Exactly. I did that recently and there wasn't a reaction.

Sounds like you may be spending some time in the pool with a pumice stone :eek: 

Edited by Qapla

14 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Sounds like you may be spending some time in the pool with a pumice stone :eek: 

I tried that too, I was afraid to scratch the tile. I plan to try wet sandpaper to see if that will work.