JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ultima-Thule Pictures

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1935 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Latest images of an asteroid beyond the Kuiper Belt 

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-46742298

This brought the question to mind. Satan rules the Earth right now, does that include space? Like are discoveries like this caused by him? 

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

Nope..

Also nice shot of frosty the snowman in outer space..😊

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Hi Sister Regina,

By staring at clouds or rock formations, each of us can "see" certain things because of our imagination.  And look at how people for centuries have viewed certain star formations as a "scorpion", "ram", etc. Satan/demons take advantage of people's interest in astrology, but did Satan/demons move the stars into the formation of a scorpion or ram?

Jehovah has used incredible physical laws to cause heavenly bodies to move in an organized manner, so it would not seem likely that Jehovah would permit Satan/demons to move around heavenly bodies which would cause chaos. But do Satan/demons have permission to manipulate smaller things in the universe, like asteroids? 

In space, thanks to far reaching spacecraft and satellites, we can now see much detail of things like the rings of Saturn, the Kuiper Belt, and even individual asteroids/comets. But likely it is just our human imagination that sees certain images in these satellite pictures, like a "snowman". And it would seem that Jehovah would have warned us if Jehovah had given Satan the permission to rule over and manipulate the entire universe. The Bible would then likely read:

(1JO 5:19)  “. . .We know that we originate with God, but the whole world (universe) is lying in the power of the wicked one.”

(RE 12:9) “. . . Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth(universe), and his angels were hurled down with him.”

*** w13 9/1 p. 5 Why All the Suffering? ***
Practices such as astrology, magic, sorcery, and fortune-telling are just some of the devices that the demons use to deceive and control people. That is why Jehovah alerts us to those dangers and offers protection to all who oppose Satan and the demons.—James 4:7.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

This is a very interesting discovery. It's fascinating that we can detect a body that is only a few kilometers long from such a huge distance.

When the Bible says that Satan is restricted to the Earth, it doesn't refer to a physical limitation. Satan is a spirit, he's not limited by space. Rather, what the Bible means is that, while in the past Satan had access to heaven and could interact to some degree with Jehovah and the angels, he can't do that anymore. Satan is not interested in visiting new planets or discovering asteroids. He is limited to Earth because Earth is the only place where people live. Of course, the astronauts onboard the International Space Station or any other spacecraft up there are under Satan's influence as well. :)

So, your telling me they are super exited about finding 2 planetoids of some sort joined together? ….And it's  6.5 billion km from Earth?   Don't get me wrong. I love astronomy. I'm just thinking,....can we hold off the celebrations for something just a little bit better?

:tea:Coffee or  Tea , anyone?  

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

On 1/3/2019 at 9:22 PM, Vinnie said:

So, your telling me they are super exited about finding 2 planetoids of some sort joined together? ….And it's  6.5 billion km from Earth?   Don't get me wrong. I love astronomy. I'm just thinking,....can we hold off the celebrations for something just a little bit better?

Well, I guess the reason for the celebration is not so much the object, which is nothing to write home about, but the fact that man succeeded to send a device to 6.5 billion km from Earth, and that it's still able to send us pics from there. By the way, those pics take six hours to get to Earth!

It's awesome what imperfect man can achieve with technology. Imagine what we will achieve when we are perfect! :)

I think the object itself is fascinating as well.  

Prof Stern said: "Everything that we're going to learn about Ultima - from its composition to its geology, to how it was originally assembled, whether it has satellites and an atmosphere, and that kind of thing - is going to teach us about the original formation conditions in the Solar System that all the other objects we've gone out and orbited, flown by and landed on can't tell us because they're either large and evolve, or they are warm. Ultima is unique."

In the new world, discoveries like this will add to our knowledge of our Creator, and really amaze us.  We can never ever understand how Jehovah created the universe and all things in it, but it's going to be a blast discovering what we can.  I think that is why the scientists are exuberant - we enjoy discoveries!  The difference is that we can attribute glory to Jehovah as the Grand Creator.  That'll make our celebrations quite spectacular! :ecstatic:

ok, I guess this is a bit different than the many telescopes that give us deep view pictures of the universe that are even further out than Ultima.

One small step for man, one large step for mankind

Next is a sub space beacon or a relay to speed things up or to go out further. :) 

Edited by Vinnie

Neil Armstrong deserves an edit

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

On 1/2/2019 at 9:04 PM, Nirex said:

Latest images of an asteroid beyond the Kuiper Belt 

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-46742298

This brought the question to mind. Satan rules the Earth right now, does that include space? Like are discoveries like this caused by him? 

It's a rock floating in space that a very expensive camera took a picture of. 

It's no different than any other pictures of rocks except it's farther away.