JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Culture and our brain

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-08-17/culture-may-affect-the-way-your-brain-processes-everything/10120068

In the West, we have an individualist culture, one where broadly speaking the “focus is on an independent and unique self that values autonomy, personal achievement and an analytical style of thinking. This is known as individualism.”

“There's also a different kind of self-representation known as collectivism — and this cultural framework is more common in non-Western cultures, including populations from East Asian, African, and Middle Eastern countries.”

This article is interesting in that it explores just how limited modern psychology really is, especially in multicultural societies. Because our culture affects how our brain processes things happening to us, and how different are our lives in the West with those, from say, Afghanistan? 

“Our current understanding of human psychology may be limited by the fact that most research studies involve participants that represent a very narrow slice of humanity.”

We are the WEIRD ones:

W estern

E ducated 

I ndustrialised

R ich 

D emocratic 

How our brains work is just so fascinating, and it’s so amazing how Jehovah knows how our culture affects how we see things. He brings us all into one unified way of worship, a new culture so to speak, which is so superior to how psychologists and others have formulated theories on how to manage mental health. 

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

This article is interesting in that it explores just how limited modern psychology really is, especially in multicultural societies. Because our culture affects how our brain processes things happening to us, and how different are our lives in the West with those, from say, Afghanistan? 

“Our current understanding of human psychology may be limited by the fact that most research studies involve participants that represent a very narrow slice of humanity.”

Good points, thanks Lucy for your post. While there can be some benefits to psychology if it agrees with the wisdom of the Bible, I believe that modern psychology receives too much credit and acclaim despite it's shortcomings and failures. A good way to view modern psychology is the way this article is suggesting, that it is very "limited". No wonder Jehovah did not go into details about psychological factors such as how culture effects our brain. He simply gave commands to help us remain separate from the "world" and to avoid certain philosophies and traditions. Jehovah is a great Father. :)

*** w99 4/15 p. 6 par. 13 Is Everlasting Life Really Possible? ***
Molecular biologist James Watson called our brain “the most complex thing we have yet discovered in our universe.” And neurologist Richard Restak said: “Nowhere in the known universe is there anything even remotely resembling it.”

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I think it is harder to be a JW in the West with all the pervasive political and philosophical ideas around you. Individualism, postmodernism, rationalism, postgenderism, feminism, transgenderim, homosexuality, liberalism, capitalism, consumerism  come to my mind right away.  If you research these big ideas, you will understand that most, if not all, of them are incompatible with Christianity. 

In my view, it is easier for JWs in the East, because we are largely still living in traditional societies, but things are slowly changing of course for the worse. Traditional values of collectivism, family, traditional gender roles, chastity, modesty, simplicity etc are all eroding. 

That’s a fair point, brother Nurzar. I hadn’t thought of the limitation our culture imposes on us regarding how we have to live and exist in this system, and particularly when multiculturalism exists in a Western society. Now, it’s an insight on how our Brothers and sisters survive under so-called oppressive regimes in non-Western countries, and their diligence in serving Jehovah, more as a community obligation due to cultural ties, on top of their own individual dedication..

Our modern world values do make it hard to be a Christian. But how amazing when we see the unity of all cultural groups when we serve Jehovah! What a defeat for Satan!

On 2/17/2019 at 10:14 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

That’s a fair point, brother Nurzar. I hadn’t thought of the limitation our culture imposes on us regarding how we have to live and exist in this system, and particularly when multiculturalism exists in a Western society. Now, it’s an insight on how our Brothers and sisters survive under so-called oppressive regimes in non-Western countries, and their diligence in serving Jehovah, more as a community obligation due to cultural ties, on top of their own individual dedication..

Our modern world values do make it hard to be a Christian. But how amazing when we see the unity of all cultural groups when we serve Jehovah! What a defeat for Satan!

Very interesting.. 

Many of the isms revolve around the original concept of you are better off doing it your own way, independence, me, your own autonomy. No one telling you what to do. 

We may think that Satan has left us alone in the west.. No real persecution like in Africa/Malawi etc. But he has had great success in the control of the populace with little difficulty.. Infecting us all to a certain extent 

On 2/18/2019 at 4:14 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

Yes, that's what I like about our brotherhood - the spiritual unity regardless of race, wealth, status and culture. We all worship the same God and have the same mission in life. 

Life under oppressive regimes is terrible, but it also has its advantages. It keeps us on our toes spiritually and strengthens our resolve to carry on serving no matter what. Besides, it is not our choice that we find ourselves under such regimes. 

In contrast, brothers in the West have many choices and often under the deceptive influence of wealth or some political or philosophical ideas, they can take the wrong decision. 

I know some local brothers who have emigrated to the US. When they were here, they were model JWs and some of them even did jail time for their faith. However, once in the US they fell away from the truth due to the numerous temptations that their newly acquired relative wealth and freedom brought with it. 

So, personally, I think that living in an oppressive or poor country is spiritually healthier than in a Western country where the spirit of the world is much more powerful. 

51 minutes ago, Bek said:

Yes, that's what I like about our brotherhood - the spiritual unity regardless of race, wealth, status and culture. We all worship the same God and have the same mission in life. 

Life under oppressive regimes is terrible, but it also has its advantages. It keeps us on our toes spiritually and strengthens our resolve to carry on serving no matter what. Besides, it is not our choice that we find ourselves under such regimes. 

In contrast, brothers in the West have many choices and often under the deceptive influence of wealth or some political or philosophical ideas, they can take the wrong decision. 

exactly.. Jesus actually said the 'deceptive power of riches' choke the word

I know some local brothers who have emigrated to the US. When they were here, they were model JWs and some of them even did jail time for their faith. However, once in the US they fell away from the truth due to the numerous temptations that their newly acquired relative wealth and freedom brought with it. 

We had a brother, from an African state where there was a lot of persecution, stay with some brothers in our congregation.. It was for just two weeks. When asked would he like to stay in the England rather than go back to some persecution, he said NO!. When asked why. He said you can just go out and buy anything you want here (not true, but his perception) You can turn a tap and water comes out, flick a switch and you get light!  How can anyone stay in the Truth and live here? He admitted he didn't know how the brothers in the west, do.  'It is too dangerous for me..'!

So, personally, I think that living in an oppressive or poor country is spiritually healthier than in a Western country where the spirit of the world is much more powerful. 

Spot on Nurzat!

That is why we are always counselled to live a simple life... OK, that is all relative to each one, but I find that now I have gotten rid of 'stuff' I don't have to think about using it all. A release if you understand my meaning. You just have to keep yourself from online browsing or shopping for things you don't need; then you feel more content with what you already have and see things for what they really are.

Satan might be evil but he isn't stupid.