JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Did you know? WT Library

One thing I really like about Q-Verse was the search engine. It would locate any word in any publication except for words like 'the , and, is, too,to', which were excluded by choice. The search engine in WTLibrary has a specific list of words that it will seach, if you search  for a word not already on the list it will not locate it even though it might be in a publication that and you are trying to find it again. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

5 hours ago, leoperales said:

Whaz dat? :popcorn:

Br. Leonardo, it was a software "Search" program on diskette to run on IBM-type DOS systems in the late 1980s.  A brother wrote and supported it.  The Watchtower Society released a  program called "Folios" on diskette a little later.  It was superseded by the Watchtower Society's "GetVerse program on diskette.  These all became obsolete when the Watchtower Library on CD was released in 1993 on CD-Rom.

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Leonardo, it was a software "Search" program on diskette to run on IBM-type DOS systems in the late 1980s.  A brother wrote and supported it.  The Watchtower Society released a  program called "Folios" on diskette a little later.  It was superseded by the Watchtower Society's "GetVerse program on diskette.  These all became obsolete when the Watchtower Library on CD was released in 1993 on CD-Rom.

Wow.. took me back..

I do remember Folios but not Q-verse though. 3.5inch disks! booting up Dos first and all of that.

Another era!

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 11:46 PM, Old said:

There is nothing new under the Sun, I have used this method to put all the scriptures in one place. It is a feature of the oldest WTLibrary that I have. Note: if a scripture reference is broken at the end of a line in the outline or article, it will not register. For all of us that I finding the feature after the fact it gives good arguement that WE DON'T LIKE TO READ DIRECTIONS.

That's mostly true.. 

However a lot of brothers have little time to read the instructions.. Esp when most if the time things do work what they want 'out of the tin' and as expected. 

Still... I'm grateful that brothers awaken our minds to stuff. 😂 

On 2/20/2019 at 11:46 PM, Old said:

Instructions are under Help in WTLibray (F1)

It will work with any text that you put in the clipboard. SEE: Advanced Exercises #s 9 through 15.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:36 AM, Jonathan77 said:

As a side point, I did hear on the grapevine that the public talk outlines will be made into jwpubs for JW Library.

I assume you are not talking about our JW Library App! That would be awsome to have all public talks on my tablet, and to review all the scriptures after the meeting!😃

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

I assume you are not talking about our JW Library App! That would be awsome to have all public talks on my tablet, and to review all the scriptures after the meeting!😃

I question whether this will happen. Think of the pressure on the speaker when he knows the audience has the outline in front of them judging examining his every line for line of his presentation. 

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

21 minutes ago, Old said:

I question whether this will happen. Think of the pressure on the speaker when he knows the audience has the outline in front of them judging examining his every line for line of his presentation. 

Yes..that would be a problem..however, in our assembly/convention programs there are scriptures we can look up and meditate on ahead of time..so even scriptures would be very nice..😉

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

37 minutes ago, Old said:

Eeeek! 

We are getting more Read Scriptures in the outlines now.. So must be used. But the rest will be for a particular application. No talk should use every scripture! Oh the pain of it all.. Not to mention the speaker going like an express train 🚉 

Then there are the timings.. 10 secs short on that section tut tut Where are the 'rule mongers' 😂 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Landon1285 said:

image.thumb.png.f52f2dd8c2b51e0f3fd89728c675e01f.png

I mean being able to do this on wol.jw.org or Jw.org @jwhess

Of course you do.  I was just pointing out that is you really need to find a word (especially if it is in a publication not covered in WTL or WOL or JW Library, there is a way to do that.  If it doesn't fit your research style, ignore it...💗

EDIT:  there was a video where the speaker stated that Br. Rutherfors wrote in the Consolation (Awake) magazine that the time would come when we would carry our telephone around in our pocket and call anyone in the world.  That magazine is not in our sources at WOL or WTL.  It took a little time, but I found the issue and the statement.  I used "FIND" as my search method.

Edited by jwhess

4 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Of course you do.  I was just pointing out that is you really need to find a word (especially if it is in a publication not covered in WTL or WOL or JW Library, there is a way to do that.  If it doesn't fit your research style, ignore it...💗

EDIT:  there was a video where the speaker stated that Br. Rutherfors wrote in the Consolation (Awake) magazine that the time would come when we would carry our telephone around in our pocket and call anyone in the world.  That magazine is not in our sources at WOL or WTL.  It took a little time, but I found the issue and the statement.  I used "FIND" as my search method.

There is an older sister in my hall that wanted that feature on jw.org but I was able to use the original method. I'll be sharing that with her tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, DarinS said:

Has anyone done anything cool with their Outlines

I would also like to maybe just pull the scriptures from an outline - to read and review separately

Here's how I started to give my first public talk.  I usually give all my talks this way, but this was too much, so I turned it into a PowerPoint presentation.  It just had one section of the outline and the associated notes per page.  I don't know if it's okay to show outlines publicly so I made sure it was blurred.  Outline is to the left, my notes for the talk are to the right.

Screenshot_20240210-185212_JWLibrary-fotor-202403092097.thumb.jpg.cea787066614f8a89292459eeee448e0.jpg