JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1212 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, My little flower said:

Yes, either Boris or Farage. Or both in the same party.

• 2 months later...

So now that Boris Johnson is PM the latest is that the UK is heading most definitely for a no deal Brexit by late October. Is this the case that it looks like this is going to happen? And what is the general feel in terms of what the economic consequences will be?

In a weird sense it seems that people are blindly optimistic.

Of course the media controls thinking and portrays things that they want us to see. However I see many similarities with the US president. The people don't care about morality as long as things appear to be going their way..

As with the President and his documented background and statements.. so with our new PM. His last brexit campaign stated certain things which were not true... our weekly EU contribution (plastered over the side of his campaign coach) which after getting back a large percentage in return was demonstrated to be vastly exaggerated,  his personal life, his rhetoric, don't care what others think. etc For half of his party, who hate the EU and what it stands for then a no deal is not of any concern to them whatever the consequences for the man in the street..

Previously BJ was seen as a maverick, a buffoon, childish....

Now when people are interviewed they seem to be buoyed up.... It is true that confidence breeds confidence but reality is sometimes a harsh reminder. However what I find is that the friends can get distracted from their focus by these things and talk about the situation as in terms of the future...

There is no future!

5 minutes ago, Alan said:

In a weird sense it seems that people are blindly optimistic.

Of course the media controls thinking and portrays things that they want us to see. However I see many similarities with the US president. The people don't care about morality as long as things appear to be going their way..

As with the President and his documented background and statements.. so with our new PM. His last brexit campaign stated certain things which were not true... our weekly EU contribution (plastered over the side of his campaign coach) which after getting back a large percentage in return was demonstrated to be vastly exaggerated,  his personal life, his rhetoric, don't care what others think. etc For half of his party, who hate the EU and what it stands for then a no deal is not of any concern to them whatever the consequences for the man in the street..

Previously BJ was seen as a maverick, a buffoon, childish....

Now when people are interviewed they seem to be buoyed up.... It is true that confidence breeds confidence but reality is sometimes a harsh reminder. However what I find is that the friends can get distracted from their focus by these things and talk about the situation as in terms of the future...

There is no future!

There is still the possibility that Boris may not succeed by October and Brexit claims a third PM. Farage is still a strong possibility.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:12 PM, Alan said:

*** w77 4/1 p. 199 par. 8 How Can You Find Real Security? ***
8 If you had been on the “Titanic,” what would you have concerned yourself with after it started to sink? While you would not have condemned the previous material benefits of the ship, you certainly would consider them now absolutely unimportant, would you not? The main thing in this new situation would be the preserving of your life. You would consider someone very foolish, even mentally unbalanced, who then spent all his energies trying to get better accommodations, meals, or other material benefits on the ship when, in a few hours, it would plunge beneath the waves!

That is quite interesting. What about exploring such a ship when it is sinking? That seems to be a big thing now among some, including brothers. 

Some worldly people used say to me that "you live only once" and need to get everything out of this world to the max. Go travel and so on. From their ungodly point of view, they were perfectly right. If there is no life after death, then go enjoy life to the full and that is what many unbelievers do these days. Some of them even make travelling their meaning of life. 

There is still the possibility that Boris may not succeed by October and Brexit claims a third PM. Farage is still a strong possibility.

@GraceH, yes, that is what I have read too. Boris is a temporary stopgap PM. Some believe he will be ousted soon. 

Edited by Hun

2 minutes ago, GraceH said:

That's true..... people are fickle and will jump at whatever they think helps them personally.. (or hope they will benefit)

Hitler got into power because he incited national pride and promised the people a future away from the crushing economic pressures from victors following their loss in the first WW.

However Satan is the ruler of this world and he will have what he wants.. the people are just the pawns in his game and to be sacrificed at will.  Satan  and his system is the antithesis of God's Kingdom.. the polar opposite; as you'd expect. 

2 minutes ago, Alan said:

That's true..... people are fickle and will jump at whatever they think helps them personally.. (or hope they will benefit)

Hitler got into power because he incited national pride and promised the people a future away from the crushing economic pressures from victors following their loss in the first WW.

However Satan is the ruler of this world and he will have what he wants.. the people are just the pawns in his game and to be sacrificed at will.  Satan  and his system is the antithesis of God's Kingdom.. the polar opposite; as you'd expect. 

True.

2 hours ago, GraceH said:

in the News:

Boris Johnson would refuse to quit No 10 if he lost a confidence vote in the Commons

and will instead force through a No Deal Brexit, it has emerged

1 minute ago, Bluebell said:

in the News:

Boris Johnson would refuse to quit No 10 if he lost a confidence vote in the Commons

and will instead force through a No Deal Brexit, it has emerged

Can he force through a no deal Brexit? I thought that was hard to do - unless he suspended Parliament and passed a no deal Brexit outside members voting.

Edited by GraceH

On 5/12/2019 at 4:55 AM, Dismal_Bliss said:

For the last several years, several brothers and sisters are saying that Trump is the armageddon president, and I have been in disagreement, saying that the radical leftist that replaces him will be the armageddon president. Why? Because the Republicans depend on the religious right for the majority of its voter base, and they will not shoot themselves in the foot by destroying false religion. They would doom their party to never get elected again. On the other hand, the left hates religion and has been advocating its demise for decades, and their propaganda to this effect is getting stronger and stronger today. Jehovah uses the UN to execute this judgment, but Trump defies the UN, having removed the USA from several committees and programs. He isn't taking orders from anybody.

I think it's in harmony with the general feeling that it's almost showtime.

You're not the only one who said that  trump is the armageddon president.. It was also mentioned by a  a friend of mine who is a longtime elder. 

But again, a Circuit Overseer said that "Things can change overnight. " 

Remember, Pres Putin even awarded a big Jw russian family . Kindly check your newsroom.  However, he turned against Jw now. 

Would Brexit really be catastrophic? I heard it many times in the media.. 

It makes people fear about the future more. 

On 5/10/2019 at 11:50 PM, GraceH said:

So is there anyone on this forum who is currently living in London who can give us an idea as to what the preaching work is like and the current atmosphere with the public and our brothers and sisters?

I just had to smile at that 😂 It's a bit like asking people from the US: Is there anyone in this forum from Washington who can give us an idea as to what the preaching work is like after Trump got elected?

Anyhoo, Brexit is still the number one subject in every day news since 2016 and it's only getting worse. British people often don't talk about politics in public so you rarely know people's opinions and in general it has little impact on our message. We just keep preaching the good news. At the moment it's a bit like a standoff between the EU and Johnson as to who blinks first. EU says negotiations won't be reopened and Johnson threatening with no-deal - it's quite funny to watch, you would think they all have a mental age of 5.

I have a German and my husband an Irish passport though, so although I am not sure what's going to happen, and I am sure that Jehovah will not forsake us, it's still handy to have.

The one thing that is really challenging for all our brothers is political neutrality. Some are completely oblivious of course but being from a different EU member state I have struggled with that and I need to follow the example of that sister in one of our last broadcasting videos - switch the news off!!

15 hours ago, thegreenjudy said:

I just had to smile at that 😂 It's a bit like asking people from the US: Is there anyone in this forum from Washington who can give us an idea as to what the preaching work is like after Trump got elected?

True. 🤣 I have to rethink the method in which I ask questions to general public. Ah well I can confirm it is a work in progress. 

No wonder the man in the street doesn't understand Brexit. The media prevents .. mostly.. seeing or hearing what is really going on.

I have seen this when being shocked at BBC (UK) reports of French anti muslim rhetoric and the hatred portrayed.. only to find the opposite on a non British media news item.

No one reported this 'plea to the EU congress' over in the UK.

of course everyone has their own interests and bias in maneuvering access to information. Satan for instance.... Bit if you only have one side of the debate then everything you think is already coloured isn't it.

The biggest issue for us, as JWs, is to trust in Jehovah and have 'real faith' that he will do as Matt 6:33 says. If we believe that, then it doesn't matter what political changes happen!

We are happy if we can finish our "Good morning" .....before we get " No thank you...but thank you for calling" which always makes us smile...
We get more and more " do not call" requests....
We live in Chelmsford, not far from London....
Yes, same here, we have something to say, but no chance to actually say it. And we also get "thank you for calling". So they never get to understand why we're there, such a shame.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Ludwika said:

Yes, same here, we have something to say, but no chance to actually say it. And we also get "thank you for calling". So they never get to understand why we're there, such a shame.

Since after world war 2, Jw from western countries go to  south americas or asia. 

Here, its easy to find someone to talk to about the kingdom and they listened  but they ridicule you  behind your back.  Its better to talk to someone who is  really interested like a person who ask.

Since after world war 2, Jw from western countries go to  south americas or asia. 

Here, its easy to find someone to talk to about the kingdom and they listened  but they ridicule you  behind your back.  Its better to talk to someone who is  really interested like a person who ask.

I was working with the Co's wife earlier this week, at several doors she said afterwards "not who we're looking for, time is too short now to be messed around". Regardless of the reaction, or lack, it's the rightly disposed we're searching for.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Ludwika said:

I was working with the Co's wife earlier this week, at several doors she said afterwards "not who we're looking for, time is too short now to be messed around". Regardless of the reaction, or lack, it's the rightly disposed we're searching for.

I am amazed by the zeal of Bethelites .. The climate is like "things can change overnight" Our Co visit will be in September.. 

8 hours ago, JennyM said:

Yes I can imagine (I am in the Chinese field). But I always look at it this way: If they let us speak out of politeness that means they have even a better chance from Jehovah, they make an informed decision. Some go so far to start studies with us for the wrong reasons. Some of these still come in the truth although the they started for different reasons and some still reject the truth. In any case, their decision was more informed than that of some people who just slam the door into your face 🙂

There seems to be some basic misunderstanding of UK politics here. UK is not as democratic as people seem to think.

The general public had no choice in who became Prime Minister. The Conservatives did hold  a public Referendum for staying or leaving the EU and the Leave vote was narrowly won. As the previous  Conservative Prime Minister Mr Cameron was a Remainer ( in the EU), he resigned and the Conservative Party held a vote among their own Parliament members for various candidates for PM and voted in Mrs Theresa May. 

She kept going to the EU with deals for Great Britain's divorce from the EU and the EU don't want Gt Britain to leave and put up stumbling blocks to prevent it. This has caused much division among the politicians of all parties and they don't know how the stumbling blocks could be solved. Mrs May resigns - she cannot solve the issue and gets no support for her policies she returns with from EU and the Conservative Party have another  race with many Conservative candidates to vote among themselves in Parliament as to who will be the new PM. The public have no say/votes, just give opinions in the media.

Mr Farage is just the leader of another party and there was never an issue about him being PM in this choosing - Conservatives are in government and vote among their own members for a PM. 

The only way this could change is if the number of Conservative MPs representing different areas in the country are slowly voted out in local elections so that the Conservative Party becomes a minority party. Then opposition parties in Parliament may put forward a vote of 'No Confidence' in the government and Parliament can then call for a General Election or whoever is PM can  call for it beford he is pushed  and then the public can vote for a different party with a different leader for PM. This could actually happen at any time as many local elections have voted Conservatives out of the local Councils, so now Mr Boris Johnson may be PM, but his party is only a majority representation of 1 in Parliament at present, so if that is lost, opposition parties can go ahead with a vote of No Confidence.

Looking on at all of this in the light of Bible Prophecy, all I see is "The iron and clay are not mixing".  Everyone around the World seems to be polarising in their love or hate for each other without any tolerance or middle ground/co-operation any more -even in the same political parties they don't support party policies they don't personally agree with. It's hard to see what political parties stand for when there is so much infighting. Too much constant back-stabbing in politics - whoever is in power as a leader seems to get people wanting to take their place instead of getting on seeing any useful policies come to fruition or watching where government funding is going.

Mr Johnson has always stood for Leaving the EU. No one can predict what will happen if Great Britain leaves - loads of speculation, arguments and scare stories and as a result people find the topic so decisive as no one really knows, that they rarely bring it up to discuss on Ministry or every day life, as it only ends up in fruitless arguing and has got quite tiresome for most people and split people of the same political parties and split people among their families. 

Would Britain be leaving without a deal - some argue that many businesses have already done deals behind the scenes or built up stores/production locally, in case of Britain leaving, so would be ready. Others cannot do this and fear going out of business as new tariffs would make their imported parts for what they build too expensive. Scientists are afraid that EU research centres will no longer share research and Police worry they won't have important intelligence shared. Continental countries have threatened unnecessary hold-ups with extra paperwork at borders that will slow up trade. Others say we have this already anyway, we are charged too much by EU and some rules and immigration rules are not working and they want out.

Mr Johnson has led a somewhat colourful life and is a descendant of Continental Royalty via his mother ( Descendent of Frederick the Great) and of Turkish minor aristocrats on his father's side.  We await to see if he does pull Britain out of the EU, and make a stronger Britain to form a more equal alliance with USA . Many, at present, jokingly call UK 'USA's poodle' - not an equal alliance at present - much diminished armed forces and trade.

1 hour ago, retroHelen said:

Mr Johnson has always stood for Leaving the EU. No one can predict what will happen if Great Britain leaves - loads of speculation, arguments and scare stories and as a result people find the topic so decisive as no one really knows, that they rarely bring it up to discuss on Ministry or every day life, as it only ends up in fruitless arguing and has got quite tiresome for most people and split people of the same political parties and split people among their families. 

Would Britain be leaving without a deal - some argue that many businesses have already done deals behind the scenes or built up stores/production locally, in case of Britain leaving, so would be ready. Others cannot do this and fear going out of business as new tariffs would make their imported parts for what they build too expensive. Scientists are afraid that EU research centres will no longer share research and Police worry they won't have important intelligence shared. Continental countries have threatened unnecessary hold-ups with extra paperwork at borders that will slow up trade. Others say we have this already anyway, we are charged too much by EU and some rules and immigration rules are not working and they want out.

Mr Johnson has led a somewhat colourful life and is a descendant of Continental Royalty via his mother ( Descendent of Frederick the Great) and of Turkish minor aristocrats on his father's side.  We await to see if he does pull Britain out of the EU, and make a stronger Britain to form a more equal alliance with USA . Many, at present, jokingly call UK 'USA's poodle' - not an equal alliance at present - much diminished armed forces and trade.

Brexit is a scary long suspense..

Satan uses the media to spread fear and woe. 

Politics is crazy. 

• 2 weeks later...

The effects of Brexit in Southern Ireland will be bad,  as soon as there is a physical border the troubles will start back with a vengeance. 

The majority of our goods arrive in through the the UK landbridge...

We're expecting food shortages and very high prices, also a shortage of medicines.... to say nothing on fuel !!

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:55 AM, Dismal_Bliss said:

Shhhh! I keep my speculations to myself, lol. (okay, not really).

For the last several years, several brothers and sisters are saying that Trump is the armageddon president, and I have been in disagreement, saying that the radical leftist that replaces him will be the armageddon president. Why? Because the Republicans depend on the religious right for the majority of its voter base, and they will not shoot themselves in the foot by destroying false religion. They would doom their party to never get elected again. On the other hand, the left hates religion and has been advocating its demise for decades, and their propaganda to this effect is getting stronger and stronger today. Jehovah uses the UN to execute this judgment, but Trump defies the UN, having removed the USA from several committees and programs. He isn't taking orders from anybody.

When the left wins, it will be with a radical. The idea will be to undo all the "damage" (in their view) that Trump has done, in the same manner that Trump tried to undo all the "damage" (in their view) that Obama had done. This leftist will realign itself with the UN. When Jehovah chooses to use the UN to destroy religion, the USA will be in full support, because the left hates religion anyway.

With everything else going on in the world (apathy, KOTN, Brexit, transgender nonsense, and on and on and on) I do believe we are on the cusp. I get the same vibe from the faithful slave. So if Trump loses in 2020 to the left, then I speculate the end to occur between 2021 and 2029 (allowing room for an 8 year term). If Trump wins in 2020 (which seems likely, but I live in hillbilly country) then the end will come when the left takes over between 2025 and 2033 (allowing for an 8 year term).

I think it's in harmony with the general feeling that it's almost showtime.

Thanks for sharing with us! 🙂

I think so far USA has almost always allowed its presidents to be re-elected and Trump seems to be doing pretty good, I think?

So then it'd mean I'd have to wait for at least 6,7 years at minimum. (What I'm worried is actually my parents)

Any possibility that GT will take place out of context? 

Like.. it will happen in anyway it wants to, ignoring all these... logical orders from a man's perspective? 

I'm Korean who has zero knowledge about US and its politics.

1 hour ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

Thanks for sharing with us! 🙂

I think so far USA has almost always allowed its presidents to be re-elected and Trump seems to be doing pretty good, I think?

So then it'd mean I'd have to wait for at least 6,7 years at minimum. (What I'm worried is actually my parents)

Any possibility that GT will take place out of context? 

Like.. it will happen in anyway it wants to, ignoring all these... logical orders from a man's perspective? 

I'm Korean who has zero knowledge about US and its politics.

Excuse me, folks.  Going off topic for a moment of education.  

In the United States it's not so much the president is "allowed" to be re-elected.  Each President has the opportunity to be re-elected for an additional 4 years.  He still has to campaign for President like every other candidate.  He must seek re-election.  If he's not re-elected, that's it.

Donald Trump is the 45th President of the United States.  His term ends in January 2021 unless he is re-elected in November 2020.

Only 17 Presidents have served more than 1 term.  That's less than half but more than 1/3.  It's actually about 37%

Armageddon is not dependent upon who is in office.  Jehovah's time is Jehovah's time.  While Donald Trump does not seem to be a "peace and security" type of President, Armageddon could come while he is in office.  

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Armageddon is not dependent upon who is in office.  Jehovah's time is Jehovah's time.  While Donald Trump does not seem to be a "peace and security" type of President, Armageddon could come while he is in office.  

Yes. Like Putin who reward a Jw family as a good example but after a year. He let them be arrested. 

16 hours ago, anniebea said:

The effects of Brexit in Southern Ireland will be bad,  as soon as there is a physical border the troubles will start back with a vengeance. 

The majority of our goods arrive in through the the UK landbridge...

We're expecting food shortages and very high prices, also a shortage of medicines.... to say nothing on fuel !!

plus  "The government's plan to end EU citizens' right to live and work in the UK straight after a no-deal Brexit "

that's made me think that I should apply for British citizenship, even I have the right of permanent residence

but with a government who is changing the laws from one day to another I want to be on the safe side....just in case...