JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NBA starter Darren Collison retiring to focus on his faith

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1626 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

In the late 70's I meet Dave Meyers in Garden Grove,CA. He has a nice story in the Awake

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101985368

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

In the late 70's I meet Dave Meyers in Garden Grove,CA. He has a nice story in the Awake

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101985368

Very good example indeed! I believe he battled cancer and died not too long ago. Great example of storing treasure in heaven rather than on earth. Thank you for bringing up this example. 

4 minutes ago, br.tokashi said:

Very good example indeed! I believe he battled cancer and died not too long ago. 

I didn't know that. Thanks.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Darren Collison, who posted a double-figure scoring average in each of his 10 NBA season, is retiring at age 31.

<

“While I still love basketball, I know there is something more important, which is my family and my faith,” Collison wrote in his statement. “I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and my faith means everything to me. I receive so much joy from volunteering to help others and participate in a worldwide ministry. The joy I feel is unmatched. With that being said, I have decided to retire from the NBA.”

Last season, his second during his second stint with the Indiana Pacers, Collison averaged 11.2 points, six assists and 3.1 rebounds per game. He was due to be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

...>

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/canada/veteran-g-collison-retires-at-31/wcm/3d82a36d-e2d7-4301-bee0-f623f524cfc4

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I heard from a brother that Collison had been witnessing to a teammate who eventually started coming to some meetings!

The brother read this in an article, has anyone read about this? I am also curious who the teammate was that went to some of the meetings? :)

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

1 hour ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I heard from a brother that Collison had been witnessing to a teammate who eventually started coming to some meetings!

The brother read this in an article, has anyone read about this? I am also curious who the teammate was that went to some of the meetings? :)

The center on the team Myles Turner.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoopshype.com/2019/06/29/darren-collisons-retirement-stuns-teammates-whats-next-for-pacers/amp/

17 hours ago, Jmatthews said:

Very interesting news! Its quite a brave move to take, at least in the view of the world, to sacrifice a future of more riches to focus on faith. I never knew he was one of us- I just knew him as your regular, solid starting point guard in the NBA. Very happy for him 😃

$10,000,000 contract as compared to Jehovah's approval + everlasting life + so, so much more.

Hope my basketball loving son and grandson hears/reads about this. My son (not in the truth) is rather materialistic so it would be good for him to see how much this brother is giving up. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

• 2 weeks later...
Hope my basketball loving son and grandson hears/reads about this. My son (not in the truth) is rather materialistic so it would be good for him to see how much this brother is giving up. 
See my PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

Sometimes we need not to be shocked during the time of the end...the pressures are real

ESPN.com: Sources:
Darren Collison mulling February return, likely to an LA team.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28405389/darren-collison-mulling-february-return-likely-la-team

This news is surprising and somewhat disappointing indeed. When reading this I can’t help but to think about last weeks bible study...😕