JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

From a simple visit to the Dr...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1755 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Jesus used many illustrations to teach profound things... no wonder. 'without one he would not speak'

This reminded me of an incident over the weekend that plainly illustrated something to us.  We have both had really bad chest infections. Coughing all through the night. I got antibiotics and it made little difference.. My wife got it bad and her doctor gave her a non penicillin antibiotic (as allergic to it).. after two days she had really bad blistering on various parts of the body just suddenly appearing and very itchy. Very frightening if you have never experienced that.

We went to an emergency clinic on Sunday... Wondering what on earth the Dr was going to say and diagnose. He did some checks and calmly said it was an allergic reaction to the drugs - stop taking them and gave her an allergy relief prescription. It will fade in a day or two and will leave no marks on the skin. The chronic coughing? It may last up to 6 weeks but that too will go.

It was only after coming out of the surgery that I noticed the complete change of demeanour of both myself and especially, my wife. Calmness!  How could that be.. she still had the cough AND the blistering and wasn't going to go away immediately with his prescription?

Difference? Hope based on the good knowledge of the Dr. Yes Hope made 'all' the difference. It WAS going to go away in time.

This type of accurate knowledge is the basis of our faith too:

*** w99 7/15 pp. 18-19 Anchored by Hope, Impelled by Love ***
Hope Compared to an Anchor

10 Paul pointed out that Jehovah had made a promise of blessings to come through Abraham. Then the apostle explained: “God . . . stepped in with an oath, in order that, through two unchangeable things [his word and his oath] in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to the refuge may have strong encouragement to lay hold on the hope set before us. This hope we have as an anchor for the soul, both sure and firm.” (Hebrews 6:17-19; Genesis 22:16-18) The hope set before anointed Christians is that of immortal life in heaven. Today, the vast majority of Jehovah’s servants have the splendid hope of everlasting life on a paradise earth. (Luke 23:43) Without such hope, one can have no faith.
11 An anchor is a powerful safety device, indispensable for holding a ship in place and preventing it from drifting. No mariner would venture out of port without an anchor

We all have difficulties and the Bible says in 2 Tim 3:1 we are living in 'critical times'. How do we cope NOW, then?.  The same scripture says these things would happen (and the evidence is factual) but in the 'Last Days'. So there WILL be an end. That gives us real hope and it can have the same effect as our visit to the Dr had on us. Why ? Because we believed it.. there was evidence for it to go the way promised.

Thank you Jehovah, for our Hope

Sulfa drugs can treat a range of health problems from eye infections to rheumatoid arthritis (RA). But if you get a rash or more serious reaction when you take one of these drugs, you may have a sulfa allergy.

Sulfa drugs, also called sulfonamides, include antibiotics and other types of drugs. Allergies happen most often with antibiotics. Around 3% of people have some type of reaction to them.

Tell your doctor right away if you think you’re having a reaction to a sulfa drug. She’ll decide whether to take you off the drug and how to treat your symptoms.

Types of Allergic Reactions

If you’re allergic to sulfa drugs, or any other medication, you may have one or more of these symptoms:

Skin rash or hives

Itching

Breathing problems

Swelling

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/sulfa-allergies#1

3 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

Sulfa drugs can treat a range of health problems from eye infections to rheumatoid arthritis (RA). But if you get a rash or more serious reaction when you take one of these drugs, you may have a sulfa allergy.

Yes. I have been on Sulfasalazine for about a year now for inflammatory arthritis. You will react pretty quickly with an allergy to sulfa drugs. I was put on a lower dose for about two weeks and then it was upped to the therapeutic dosage.

13 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

Sulfa drugs, also called sulfonamides, include antibiotics and other types of drugs. Allergies happen most often with antibiotics. Around 3% of people have some type of reaction to them.

Tell your doctor right away if you think you’re having a reaction to a sulfa drug. She’ll decide whether to take you off the drug and how to treat your symptoms.

If you’re allergic to sulfa drugs, or any other medication, you may have one or more of these symptoms:

Skin rash or hives

Itching

Breathing problems

Swelling

Thanks Anne.. she 'was' on clarithromycin.. there is no sulfa in those from my research.. still, an allergic reaction is something to be wary of in future.

Delayed-release tablets of sulfasalazine are used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Sulfasalazine helps to reduce joint pain, swelling, and stiffness. Early treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with sulfasalazine helps to reduce/prevent further joint damage so you can do more of your normal daily activities. This medication is used with other drugs, rest, and physical therapy in patients who have not responded to other medications (salicylates, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs-NSAIDs).

@LuvDogz  I have osteoarthritis on my knees on account of injuries in the past. Then all my 10 fingers are afflicted with arthritis too because of being a victim to 2 snatch thieves incidents. I bought turmeric supplements to help ease stiffness and pain on my fingers. I used to go to the government hospital for physiotherapy. They would ask me to dip my hands a few times in the liquid wax and then wrap my hands in warm towels, followed by a massage. I don't think the wax treatment was any help because the joints have been looking pink for the longest time. I have stopped going for the treatments and but may restart the physio at another government hospital. 

I'm really lazy about taking supplements. I have tried the free acupuncture therapy near my house and I think that is the best treatment for my various aches and pain. 

Sorry to hear about your rheumatoid arthritis. Is that an autoimmune disease? Mine I think is the result of injuries incurred in the past.

Whatever the type of arthritis, this illness has a crippling effect on one's life. 

Take care, Sister Sophia.

@Alan  Hope you and your wife will get well soon. It takes weeks to recover from a cough. I think taking a bit of honey will help to ease the suffering. 

Advanced issues found

Advanced issues found

Drinking tea or warm lemon water mixed with honey is a time-honoured way to soothe a sore throat. But honey alone may be an effective cough suppressant, too.

In one study, children age 2 and older with upper respiratory tract infections were given up to 2 teaspoons (10 millilitres) of honey at bedtime. The honey seemed to reduce nighttime coughing and improve sleep.

In fact, in the study, honey appeared to be as effective as a common cough suppressant ingredient, dextromethorphan, in typical over-the-counter doses. Since honey is low-cost and widely available, it might be worth a try.

And remember: Coughing isn't all bad. It helps clear mucus from your airway. If you are otherwise healthy, there's usually no reason to suppress a cough.

Skin rash or hives
Itching
Breathing problems
Swelling
My face swelled up so much I was unrecognisable. It was awful.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

What are the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction to an antibiotic?

Mild symptoms include red, itchy, flaky, or swollen skin. You may have a flat, red area on your skin that is covered with small bumps. You may also have hives.

Severe symptoms include skin that blisters or peels, vision problems, and severe swelling or itching. 

What increases my risk for an antibiotic medication allergy?

Other allergies, such as to cats (I'm allergic to cats and dogs)

A family history of antibiotic allergies

Frequent use of antibiotics

A long-term illness that makes your immune system more sensitive

How is an antibiotic medication allergy diagnosed?

A patch test means a small amount of the antibiotic is put on your skin. The area is covered with a patch that stays on for 2 days. Then your healthcare provider will check your skin for a reaction.

A skin prick test means a small drop of the antibiotic is put on your forearm and your skin is pricked with a needle. Your healthcare provider will watch for a reaction.

An intradermal test means a small amount of antibiotic liquid is put under the surface of your skin. Your healthcare provider will watch for a reaction.

image.jpeg.7c20920bfbdca9333145542bbd6dea57.jpeg

And here I thought this thread was about hope in relation to our faith and our demeanor ... as illustrated by the visit to the doctor

I am allergic to few drugs and things ... not the most common things but they include:

• Novocaine (procaine)
  • Benzocaine (makes sense since it is a direct relative of novocaine/procaine)
    • Which means I can't use Solarcaine or Orajel 
  • Enalapril (gives me a terrible cough)
  • NutraSweet (I know, not a drug - but I am still allergic to it)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~