JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

In northwestern China: 18 indicted for being Jehovah’s Witnesses

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1599 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I watched a documentary yesterday about religious persecution in China's Xinjiang. They've turned the region into a giant prison. Cameras, barbed fences, metal detectors, and ID card-activated gates are everywhere. Hundreds of thousands of men are patrolling streets. Everything is monitored round the clock. 

It was reported that China spends 8.5bn dollars a year just on surveillance in that region alone. 

Edited by Hun

Looks like it's been going on for almost a year ... many were arrested last October and the 'transgressions' happened years before.

I'm sure the brothers have their fingers on the pulse. I have a friend, an ex Circuit Overseer who lives in Hong Kong ... I'm sure he and ones like him are doing what they can. (Which may not be as much as they would like).

Thanks for that. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 4:21 PM, Brandon said:

I sent this link to my sister who serves in a Chinese congregation. This  is what she replied:

Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for sending that article!

I studied with the mum of a young sister who got the truth in our congregation and who is from that area. Her mum went through weeks of daily interrogations during that period. We used Skype to talk to one of the sisters in the area. She didn't say a lot, mainly cried. We understood that all the elders in the entire area, could be the whole of Xinjiang, had been arrested. She was totally isolated with no literature and no access to our website or app.

[Name]'s mum will be coming out to [country] and attending the International Convention. She's requested to have a study every day for the few weeks she's here.

Use your ears to gain understanding and your tongue to heal. -w13 5/15 p. 22

Dear all, the documentary is in Russian. It has already clocked up over 1.3m views since its release on 15 July 2019. I think someone in the comments said that there would be an English translation soon. I have just checked its subtitles and it seems someone is already translating it into English -- a third of it is done so far. So I will keep an eye and alert you.

As for the sister mentioned by @LindaL., she is most likely a Han Chinese, because the Uyghurs and other ethnic minorities in the said region have had their passports taken. Only the Han Chinese have passports and freedom to travel. Judging by the names of those detained, I have a feeling that our brothers there are mainly from among the Han Chinese. I don't know how they are being treated in Xinjiang, but I don't think it would be as badly as what Uygurs and other Muslim minorities are going through. The Han-dominated government still treats their own better than other ethnic groups despite their being members of "evil religious organisations". 

I think China is far worse than Russia when it comes to violations of human rights of its own citizens. I sometimes even wonder if there are any human rights in China.  In comparison, Russia has some norms of morality although it is still harsh in dealing with its citizens. 

Edited by Hun

A very dear friend has his son and daughter in China. As missionaries. 

He just joined the local Chinese group, on the coast. 

And, he has disappeared from FB. That’s how we used to be in contact. He’s not far off, so I can chase him and his wife down. But, this is chilling. Two great big countries, targeting our brothers and sisters. One of them, the King of the North. 

How far off can the end be?

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 3 weeks later...

All we can do is pray... the KOTN must act accordjng to the master that drives it , I do hope the brothers are being obedient and hiding their spiritual food.  If the authorities confiscated such an abundance of literatue during the raids in the link,  it means they have up til now had a lot of spiritual food but the signs are things are changing fast in China... the  documentaies I have seen on the general subject of religion in China are chilling.

Still if Jehovah allows it, we can take It!

Edited by sunshine

• 4 months later...

This is just to let you know that the Russian documentary has still not been fully translated. As I told you before, someone started translating the subtitles, but stopped half way through. I have been checking it regularly just to see if there is any progress over the last few months, but it seems that they have abandoned the idea altogether. 

I know that some of you wanted to find out about the situation in Western China where religious minorities, especially Muslims, are being severely persecuted. So here is a similar documentary in English that came out six months ago and it is very much like the Russian documentary.