JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Truth Book

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1600 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

After reading the Truth Book it was the first day of the rest of my life. When I realized I had found the Truth my heart was so happy it actually hurt in my chest. I had to calm myself down. Had I been capable of doing cartwheels I would have. I was on vacation from work when I read it and when I returned to work, someone told me 'you left one person and came back another!'

Thank you Jehovah for saving me

@BrotherJay   Where I come from, a person in her 50's is considered old. So you're right, I think you would call me ancient. The beginning of ancient. And then, for the rest of our older blessed folk, let us ponder the words of Song no.  90 'Beauty in Grayheadness'.

Pr. 16:31 Gray hair is a crown of beauty

When it is found in the way of righteousness

1. Here with us are aged ones,

Those whose youth has passed.

Here among us they endure;

Still they’re holding fast.

Loss of strength besets them all;

Loss of mates for some.

Father, please confirm their faith

In the life to come.

Hmmm, I have just purchased a box of hair dye. About time, I started coloring my hair. My gray strands are looking unsightly. And to think that young ladies today are actually dyeing their hair gray as a fashion statement. But it really look good on their young faces. Duh!

Fun fact from :

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/when-old-age-begins_b_8099004

When Does Old Age Start?

At age 68, according a Pew Research Center’s Social & Demographic Trends survey.

The survey also found that you’re really as old as you feel.

So right I still have 2 more years to catch up with the 'exclusive' club. Already this old creaky body is grunting and groaning with each passing day. Looks like my biological age is not keeping up with my chronological one. Blame it on not taking good care of my body when young. 

Edited by M'Awan

21 hours ago, Immistic said:

I guess it was because 1975 was so close.

We apparently didn't know what would happen in that year, but to be on the safe side, .  .  .

I started studying the 'Truth' book sometime in 1973 and I don't remember the year 1975 as having a significant impact on my life. It was just that the book was so mind blowing that it got me straight into the road to life. It also laid out the Bible truths in a simple and easy to understand format.

Sr. Anne, your comments on the song about "Gray Headedness" are treasured.  This is the only song in our songbook that makes me cry.

I can get through the resurrection themes and paradise topics OK (with practice).  But i can't sing this chorus without tearing up and my voice cracking.

After 65 years of service, I too, long to hear God say..."Well done".

SONG 138

Beauty in Gray-Headedness

(Proverbs 16:31)

(CHORUS)

Father, you remember

How in faith they’ve run.

Give them your assurance;

May they hear, “Well done!”

In today's WT lesson I did not see a picture of the book I started studying in.  It was 1953 and the book was Let God Be True but it was brown and not green.  Can someone tell me what was the difference between the 2 books and how far apart were they in their printing dates.  Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Rose Flower said:

In today's WT lesson I did not see a picture of the book I started studying in.  It was 1953 and the book was Let God Be True but it was brown and not green.  Can someone tell me what was the difference between the 2 books and how far apart were they in their printing dates.  Thank you.

The literature Let God Be True was released in 1946 and revised in 1952. I'm not sure which is which though and not sure if that is the cause of the change in the colour of the cover.

The brother who conducted today had all those books on stage. He mentioned how it started green and then was changed to brown. He didnt say why. I assumed it changed because they found the brown backing cheaper.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

It was a revised version. I do not know what the revisions were. I was assistant congregation Bible study conductor, age 15, using the revised version of "Let God be True". I was at cleveland in 1946 when the original was released.

So long, long ago ago and so far away. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

The original “Let God Be True” book was released in 1946. The revised edition was released in 1952. I do not know the reason for the changed covers, but the reasons for the revision were to include Scripture quotations from the recently released New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures. Some other refinements in terminology were made as well. For example, the chapter entitled “Consecration—The Way to Life” was changed to “Dedication to God—The Way to Life.” 2 additional chapters were added, one on the Bible’s divine inspiration and one on evolution.

12 hours ago, bushbard said:

It is rumoured that John Lennon wrote Imagine after reading The Truth Book.  

Be interesting to meet John if he is resurrected into the New System.

John Lennon wrote in the song: "Imagine there's no heaven... no religion too... above us only sky..." It seems he had a thing against religion in general, or belief in God.

I think I heard that rumour too. But personally, I take it with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Truth Book - nicknamed the Blue Bombshell! I remember when it was given out at the Assembly 1968. Mother was baptised by then and said she wished she had had it when she was studying. it was so simple and straightforward in how it presented the Truth in short direct chapters. 

It was so simple, that even I, as a child, enjoyed going through it with her at our family study. There were so many step-by-step programs at assemblies and in the Kingdom Ministry paper as to how to easily conduct the Bible studies with it, that I studied with a few school-friends using it. At one point I had up to 15 attending meetings from placing the book with them. Not all kept up with their Bible studies, but some liked still getting the Awake magazine and occasionally coming to special talks at our Kingdom Hall.

As an adult I loved studying with people with this book. I was somewhat disheartened with the following big Live Forever Book. I felt it slowed things down so much - like was said before, it got the nickname " Study Forever" book and many studies I started didn't progress with that one.

I like the latest "Teach Us" book, we are getting back to the needed essentials for today's society to start on the road for life in a more straightforward way again.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:35 AM, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

This book was printed in such large quantity, even though (I believe) it is currently out of print, our congregation still has some supply of it. I wish I can get my hands on the blue book, though.

Ebay. I got one for $6.00 usd 

On 12/4/2019 at 3:45 PM, Sheep said:

John Lennon wrote in the song: "Imagine there's no heaven... no religion too... above us only sky..." It seems he had a thing against religion in general, or belief in God.

I think I heard that rumour too. But personally, I take it with a grain of salt.

I heard Tommy James and the Shondells wrote crystal blue persuasion about the truth book. We hear a lot of things don’t we? LOL.

Edited by Shawnster