JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Truth Book

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1600 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

In 1968.

*** yb75 pp. 239-240 Part 3—United States of America ***
SOMETHING TO INFLUENCE THE WORK AHEAD!
Another noteworthy innovation came in 1968. When The Watchtower announced the “Good News for All Nations” District Assemblies, it stated: “On Friday something is planned that will not only delight you but also no doubt surprise you, for it will have considerable influence on the work that we will be doing during the years to come.”
Jehovah’s servants were curious. What could this new development be? The answer came after the powerful keynote speech “The ‘Good News’ of a World Without False Religion.” At its conclusion a new 192-page, pocket-size Bible study aid was released. This book, The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life, was received with great delight. “Who Is God?” “Where Are the Dead?” “Why Has God Permitted Wickedness Until Our Day?” “The Last Days of This Wicked System of Things,” “Building a Happy Family Life,” “True Worship—a Way of Life”—these were some of the book’s absorbing chapters. The new publication would involve the student at every turn.

It was later explained how we would use this book in a "6 month Bible Study Program".

We were encouraged to conduct studies in this book and complete the book in 6 months - it the person was not attending regular and taking steps towards baptism or already baptized, we were to discontinue the study.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I was baptized within 5 months of being studied with in this book.  I was attending meetings regularly even before my first study.

I was shown Psalm 83:18 and imnediately knew that this was The Truth That Leads to

Eternal Life. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I recall living in Roma, Queensland in 1969 and was not in the truth then but a very worldly sixteen year old and a local Witness called asking my parents if they could take billets for a convention they were having there.

I recall an elderly couple and their daughter stayed with us.  At the conclusion of their stay they gave my mother a blue book.  Looking back I realize now that it was the truth book.

I guess I still had a few oats to sow as I didn't take advantage of reading it.

It wasn't until 1973 when Chris and I were living in Toowoomba, Queensland that a sister called on us and placed the same blue book.  She began a study with us and it would eventually bring us into The Truth.  We also returned to Roma and got to know the brother and his family really well who left the original book with my mother.

Some planted and watered and it was Jehovah who made it grow.

Brother Merv and Sister Chris.

Truth Book.png

9 hours ago, carlos said:

In 1968.

They were definitely right when they said “it will have considerable influence on the work that we will be doing during the years to come.”

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I remember conducting several studies in this book. One of the biggest changes was that we no longer to studies for years with someone who made very little progress. We were instructed that we should move any existing studies into this new book. If those studies did not get baptized within 6 months - we discontinued the study. This surprised many of the publishers as much as it did the studies.

There was quite an increase in the 70's.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

The 1968 version was edited and updated in 1981 (and this is the version in the JW Library app that was just added a few days ago).

The entire book was re-written and released as "Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life" in 1995.

kn.JPG

I didn’t know it was rewritten as the knowledge book. That’s the book I studied out of :)

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

The 1968 version was edited and updated in 1981 (and this is the version in the JW Library app that was just added a few days ago).

The entire book was re-written and released as "Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life" in 1995.

kn.JPG

Between the Truth and Knowledge Book was You can Live Forever In Paradise on Earth, my study curricula. Some people call it the Study Forever Book. Re: Larry Graham's bio,  I seem to recall that he was thinking of the Truth Book (or the truth itself) when he sang the song, "One in a Million YOU" It was written by someone else. 

5 minutes ago, kejedo said:

Between the Truth and Knowledge Book was You can Live Forever In Paradise on Earth, my study curricula. Some people call it the Study Forever Book. Re: Larry Graham's bio,  I seem to recall that he was thinking of the Truth Book (or the Truth itself, or its Blessings.) when he sang the song, "One in a Million YOU" It was written by someone else. 

Two of the people I studied with in the Knowledge Book are our sisters. In pio school, one of the CO's said we really don't know how many people we studied with have actually gotten Baptized. Sometimes we hear from them. 

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

kn.JPG

This book was printed in such large quantity, even though (I believe) it is currently out of print, our congregation still has some supply of it. I wish I can get my hands on the blue book, though.

10 minutes ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

This book was printed in such large quantity, even though (I believe) it is currently out of print, our congregation still has some supply of it. I wish I can get my hands on the blue book, though.

I would be interested in reading it, personally. Sometimes updates are predicated on  prophecies that have been fulfilled during our lives, as well as illustrations that fit more with the progression of time..    

p.s. I'm in Ulster County, NY

Edited by kejedo

10 hours ago, kejedo said:

I would be interested in reading it, personally....

Read it at https://openlibrary.org/books/OL5599389M/The_truth_that_leads_to_eternal_life.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

20 hours ago, Qapla said:

I remember conducting several studies in this book. One of the biggest changes was that we no longer to studies for years with someone who made very little progress. We were instructed that we should move any existing studies into this new book. If those studies did not get baptized within 6 months - we discontinued the study. This surprised many of the publishers as much as it did the studies.

There was quite an increase in the 70's.

I guess it was because 1975 was so close.

We apparently didn't know what would happen in that year, but to be on the safe side, .  .  .

Though knowing the Truth from our mother in the 1950s and attending a few Circuit Assemblies, it wasn’t until 1968 that I was able to attend a District Convention. This was held in Bolton soccer ground in Lancashire. I loved every minute and I especially remember the release of the Truth book. I still have my copy, now aged and battered, like myself. With mother I studied the Let God Be True book, the brown coloured 2nd edition also still in my possession. This gave me a good grounding in the basics and a love for Jehovah. Then studying the Truth book moved me to dedication and baptism. 

On 11/30/2019 at 1:35 AM, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

For a long, long time i could find one in nearly every used bookstore I entered. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I may have missed it reading the above comments but we often referred to the Truth book as the "Blue Bomb."  A huge increase in Jehovah's people after it's release like a bomb going off and waking people up to the Truth. Almost every Congregation I know of had no problem meeting the "one study per publisher" average. (days of quotas) It was not uncommon for publishers to have 4 or more studies and pioneers to have 10 or more studies going on weekly. The pioneer spirit among young publishers was great and in those years very few left the Truth.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25