JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"2020 Another Decade" what will it bring..?

2020 seems so "FUTURISTIC"  what will It bring for us as gods people as we see the world continue to deteriorate...man I can't wait to see the watchtower articles we have and the mid week meeting as well..I also can't wait for the Annual Meeting to be released...in January..what are you looking forward to?

Contrary to popular belief, the 21st century and the third millennium did not begin on January 1, 2000, but one year later, on New Year's Day 2001.

This may seem counterintuitive at first, but it is a consequence of a defining feature of our modern anno domini time reckoning system: There was never a year zero, and year 1 BC was followed by year AD 1.

Depends on Language

So, how come this rule doesn't apply to decades? Why do we claim that they can start with years ending in 0 or years ending in 1?

It all comes down to how we talk about time spans. With few exceptions, we usually think about centuries and millennia as numbered entities, counted up from year AD 1, such as “the 21st century” or “the third millennium.”

Decades, however, are commonly categorized based on the year numbers. For example, we say “the eighties” instead of “the 199th decade.” Similarly, the upcoming decade is technically the 203rd decade, but we call it “the twenties.” According to this common definition, decades generally encompass the time span from years ending with 0 to years ending with 9, such as 2020 – 2029.

By the way, the same could technically be said about centuries and millennia. It is factually correct to say that “the 1900s” began on January 1, 1900, just like New Year's Day 2000 kicked off “the 2000s.” It's just much more common to call these time spans the 20th and 21st centuries—and they began in 1901 and 2001, respectively.

So, it is correct to say that 2020 is a new decade - it is also correct if you want to wait till next year to call it a decade.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

This decade is probably going to be the last and toughest one for the world. I am saying this because China is forecast to overtake the US by 2030 as the number one economy on earth. As we know, the Bible says that the US is the final global power and it will remain like that throughout the last days. So the end should come before 2030.

The US is already much weaker today than it was a decade ago. Its loss of power/influence has been very quick.  

Edited by Bek

The 20th century ended on 31st of December 2000 at 23:59:59 +1 second

So technically, yes, the next decade according to that would begin next year. But the twenties started to day.

I hope these are the roaring twenties! Let's have lots of troubled seas, lots of moral decline (yes, there's still room for more debasement), lets have a big economic crisis in 2029, a fascist global takeover in 2033 and a big war in 2039 - the war to end all wars :)

Any earlier would be fine, too.

The 20th century ended on 31st of December 2000 at 23:59:59 +1 second

So technically, yes, the next decade according to that would begin next year. But the twenties started to day.

I hope these are the roaring twenties! Let's have lots of troubled seas, lots of moral decline (yes, there's still room for more debasement), lets have a big economic crisis in 2029, a fascist global takeover in 2033 and a big war in 2039 - the war to end all wars

Any earlier would be fine, too.
Nooooo
15 more years. I will be dead then..

There will be a lot of elections around the world. Many major countries such as US, UK, France, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, New Zealand, Poland, Hong Kong and Brazil are to have election this year.

In other words, we should expect a big political change to come in the decade.

Edited by YukitoMatsuzuki

15 hours ago, Bek said:

This decade is probably going to be the last and toughest one for the world. I am saying this because China is forecast to overtake the US by 2030 as the number one economy on earth. As we know, the Bible says that the US is the final global power and it will remain like that throughout the last days. So the end should come before 2030.

The US is already much weaker today than it was a decade ago. Its loss of power/influence has been very quick.  

There’s no basis for that, as it stands right now. The USA is currently far ahead of China economically. The US has 23.6% of the global economy. China has 15.5%.

The US military is stronger than it was a few years ago. Trumps pumping money into it to be sure. I don’t think there’s any question who the world power today is.

But things can change overnight, can’t they? :coffee: 

The weakness of the US is mostly sociopolitical. The country is divided....’iron mixed with clay’. It’s a house of cards. All Jehovah has to do is give it a little nudge and down it comes.

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

There’s no basis for that, as it stands right now. The USA is currently far ahead of China economically. The US has 23.6% of the global economy. China has 15.5%.

The US military is stronger than it was a few years ago. Trumps pumping money into it to be sure. I don’t think there’s any question who the world power today is.

But things can change overnight, can’t they? :coffee: 

The weakness of the US is mostly sociopolitical. The country is divided....’iron mixed with clay’. It’s a house of cards. All Jehovah has to do is give it a little nudge and down it comes.

What do you mean no basis? Business is booming for China. Its economy is growing at 6.6% a year. It has also launched "one belt and one road" global trade scheme. The US share of the global economy is 15.11% and China's share was 19.24% in 2019 according to this source: 

US: https://www.statista.com/statistics/270267/united-states-share-of-global-gross-domestic-product-gdp/

China: https://www.statista.com/statistics/270439/chinas-share-of-global-gross-domestic-product-gdp/

China has already overtaken the US by PPP GDP. Even when calculating a combination of PPP GDP/nominal GDP, China will overtake the US this year. 

The US military is stronger and will remain strong, but politically it is toothless. All US recent military adventures have been failures. Besides, all the big money that is put into it goes on exorbitant pay and expensive R&D in private sector while in China everything is state-owned and wages are not sky high. 1bn dollars in China can go very far while in the US it is not much.  

Also, remember that China is a nuclear power. Russia has launched its supersonic nuclear missile system that can rip to pieces any country's air defence system. Now China is very interested in developing the same system. 

Ultimately though, the US will remain the top dog, but a weakened one before the end of this system. 

Edited by Bek

6 hours ago, Bek said:

What do you mean no basis? Business is booming for China. Its economy is growing at 6.6% a year. It has also launched "one belt and one road" global trade scheme. The US share of the global economy is 15.11% and China's share was 19.24% in 2019 according to this source: 

US: https://www.statista.com/statistics/270267/united-states-share-of-global-gross-domestic-product-gdp/

China: https://www.statista.com/statistics/270439/chinas-share-of-global-gross-domestic-product-gdp/

China has already overtaken the US by PPP GDP. Even when calculating a combination of PPP GDP/nominal GDP, China will overtake the US this year. 

The US military is stronger and will remain strong, but politically it is toothless. All US recent military adventures have been failures. Besides, all the big money that is put into it goes on exorbitant pay and expensive R&D in private sector while in China everything is state-owned and wages are not sky high. 1bn dollars in China can go very far while in the US it is not much.  

Also, remember that China is a nuclear power. Russia has launched its supersonic nuclear missile system that can rip to pieces any country's air defence system. Now China is very interested in developing the same system. 

Ultimately though, the US will remain the top dog, but a weakened one before the end of this system. 

I guess it depends on who you believe. 

GDP Ranked by Country 2019

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-by-gdp/

What are the countries with the largest economies in the world? Here is a list of the top ten countries with the highest GDP:

1. United States (GDP: 21.41 trillion)
  2. China (GDP: 15.54 trillion)
  3. Japan (GDP: 5.36 trillion)
  4. Germany (GDP: 4.42 trillion)
  5. India (GDP: 3.16 trillion)
  6. France (GDP: 3.06 trillion)
  7. United Kingdom (GDP: 3.02 trillion)
  8. Italy (GDP: 2.26 trillion)
  9. Brazil (GDP: 2.26 trillion)
  10. Canada (GDP: 1.91 trillion)

I'm not going to argue politics, but it sounds like your propaganda over there is different than the propaganda we have here.  

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

@Pjdriver, Br. Burt, why do you say it is propaganda? statista.com is a US tool used by many.

I don't think you can the fact that the US share of the global economy is smaller than that of the US. It is already a fact. GDP is one thing and market share is a totally different thing. You can look it up in any official sources. 

Besides, I am not disputing that the US GDP is the biggest at the moment. That is not the point. The point is that by the end of the decade, China is expected to overtake the US by nominal GDP. 

Economists have calculated that if China continues growing at current rates, its GDP will be bigger than that of the US. It is simple mathematics. No propaganda. 

Edited by Bek

9 hours ago, Bek said:

@Pjdriver, Br. Burt, why do you say it is propaganda? statista.com is a US tool used by many.

There are many organizations that keep records on the economy...do you think they all agree.

I just looked up a few more that supported what I said previously. I didn’t bother to post any of them again because we’re way off track here already.  

As far as predictions go....I guess you can believe whatever you want.  I noticed some of the articles I’ve read state that “some” economist believe this or that. I couldn’t tell you how China and the US will be doing in 10 years.....I just hope they’re both gone by then.