JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"2020 Another Decade" what will it bring..?

Here are some projections of major countries' GDP for 2030 from the EU, which it uses for making future policies: 

projected_gdp_ranking_2030_-_imf.png.3077b3b3717d00efa6080714891bb099.png

Source: https://ec.europa.eu/knowledge4policy/visualisation/projected-gdp-ranking-2030_en 

Here is a similar GDP projection from one of the world's top accounting firms, PricewaterhouseCoopers: 

Screenshot_2020-01-05_16-56-22.png.7c538632dbcdf503b426d4faaf835ca3.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_past_and_projected_GDP_(nominal)#Long_term_GDP_estimates

1 hour ago, Bek said:

Here are some projections of major countries' GDP for 2030 from the EU, which it uses for making future policies: 

projected_gdp_ranking_2030_-_imf.png.3077b3b3717d00efa6080714891bb099.png

Source: https://ec.europa.eu/knowledge4policy/visualisation/projected-gdp-ranking-2030_en 

Here is a similar GDP projection from one of the world's top accounting firms, PricewaterhouseCoopers: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_past_and_projected_GDP_(nominal)#Long_term_GDP_estimates

GDP is just a number that gives an overall picture of the nation's economy in total.  You also need to weigh in the fact that China has 4x as many inhabitants as the USA. That's why the "GDP per capita" number is far more interesting. Because according to the above graph, even if China matches USA in terms of GDP by 2030, they still are only 25% as wealthy.

I'm Still getting my head around being 2020. 

It is always nice to have a fresh start to a yr. For me. Never before have I seen here in Australia. Drought like it is. Fires with such vengeance and out of control. Across 3 states plus one Island. The RFD. Has been called in. My husbands Dad was in a nursing home. Power went out cause of the fires. He broke his ankle and a few days later. Friday just gone. He passed away.  So many are unhappy with the PM. Watching what is happening in Iran. & US President. It's just as Jesuit said one place after another. For me it's you see the Political elements getting hotter. Then The climate change.  Well as an actress once said.. "You better hold onto your seat Honey. It's gonna be a bumpy ride"....We are in the most awesomeness but scary finale time of lives. Thats what is intriguing me. What else can we see. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

45 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

GDP is just a number that gives an overall picture of the nation's economy in total.  You also need to weigh in the fact that China has 4x as many inhabitants as the USA. That's why the "GDP per capita" number is far more interesting. Because according to the above graph, even if China matches USA in terms of GDP by 2030, they still are only 25% as wealthy.

That is true. I have thought of the "GDP per capita" argument too, but these things are technical details. Nobody measures a country's economic power by its individual citizen's wealth. Mind you, there are many countries whose GDP per capita is larger than that of the US, but they are not powerful and I would even say insignificant on the world stage. 

The fact remains that if China grows at current rates, it will become the world's number one economic power. Even today China is much more important economically than the US due to its larger contribution to the world's economic growth. By 2030, China will have so much economic leverage that its decisions will affect the whole world even more than it does today. 

The important thing is that today's rapid decline of the Anglo-American power and the anticipated rise of China to the top spot within a decade are testament to the fact that we are indeed very close to the breakout of the Great Tribulation. So this fact alone is the main reason why I have been posting about the GDP projections. When you consider it together with other signs of the last days, it does hit home. 

Edited by Bek

The new system has to come this decide, because I don't see any other outcome other than complete and utter civilization collapse. The gap between the poverty line in the US, supposedly the "richest" nation and the amount of money actually needed to have a functional standard of living is ridiculous. You need, on average, almost $50,000 a year to get by, despite the poverty line being $11,000. It's getting to where the majority of people can't afford basic expenses. Most people are a paycheck from homelessness. We're running out of resources. Depletion of fossil fuels is projected to happy in 40years, but they might become inhibiitively expensive long before we run out. We're 2 minutes to midnight, and all these tensions in the middle east may end up bringing us even closer. We have 300 years of trees left, but massive deforestation, will likely increase climate change long before we run out. We're running out of animals, and garbage and pollutants in the oceans and seas are depleting algae, which is an important and underrated source of photosynthesis.

I don't think human beings can last another 20 years without completely destroying humanity, not without Jehovah's intervention.

Edited by Katty

On 1/5/2020 at 7:43 AM, surfergirl said:

Power went out cause of the fires. He broke his ankle and a few days later. Friday just gone. He passed away

Gabe, I am sorry to hear about the sudden death of your father-in-law..also am concerned about you and other friends in Australia..You are in my prayers.💔

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The IMF boss warns of new Great Depression risks and great uncertainty in the this decade 

She warned that fresh issues such as the climate emergency and increased trade protectionism meant the next 10 years were likely to be characterised by social unrest and financial market volatility.

“If I had to identify a theme at the outset of the new decade, it would be increasing uncertainty,” she said. Source

4 minutes ago, JennyM said:

wow. this news will be depressing to all... Well, many people are rich, They should help the poor. 

Aren't you from the Philippines? 99% of the people own 1% of the wealth, or so I was told by a relative of the late Consuelo “Chito” Madrigal-Collantes.

He inherited a fortune from her and commonly told me this. And yet he spent all his life squandering money, living hedonistically and doing nothing with the money to create opportunity.

I personally am certain that with great power comes great responsibility. The rich will be judged differently than the poor in terms of whether they were generous or not.

46 minutes ago, JennyM said:

wow. this news will be depressing to all... Well, many people are rich, They should help the poor. 

It is interesting that today the situation is similar in many ways to what was 100 years ago. There were great inequality, widespread poverty, technological disruptions and the rise of the far-right. Today we are seeing the same things, but in greater measure plus the climate emergency. 

1 hour ago, ChocoBro said:

Aren't you from the Philippines? 99% of the people own 1% of the wealth, or so I was told by a relative of the late Consuelo “Chito” Madrigal-Collantes.

He inherited a fortune from her and commonly told me this. And yet he spent all his life squandering money, living hedonistically and doing nothing with the money to create opportunity.

I personally am certain that with great power comes great responsibility. The rich will be judged differently than the poor in terms of whether they were generous or not.

There are many rich businessmen here in my country.. We are surrounded by many shopping malls... But these rich guys don't want to give regular jobs for the people so a lot of providers go abroad and leave their family behind.. Their families spend their money on thing produced by these business people....

People are not financially educated well..... 

From forbes magazines, you can find richest men from the Philippines. These guys control all the system here.. Education and labor....  Education is  just for business.. You cant work in the company without spending your money in their useless education system. ....... They give cheap wages to ordinary people and no regularization of jobs. 

6 hours ago, JennyM said:

There are many rich businessmen here in my country.. We are surrounded by many shopping malls... But these rich guys don't want to give regular jobs for the people so a lot of providers go abroad and leave their family behind..

I know, I heard 70% of the GDP of the Philippines comes from people working abroad. Amazing..

17 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

I know, I heard 70% of the GDP of the Philippines comes from people working abroad. Amazing..

The GDP of the Philippines is 383bn dollars and remittances are about 30bn dollars a year. So that makes it less than 10%. 

Filipinos seem to be in many countries these day. You can even see them in our region sometimes. They are mostly hired as nannies and English-language tutors.

When I was in Dubai, I saw them in supermarkets, hotels, restaurants you name it. 

What struck me was that they are humble and smiley. The girls are petite and pretty. :)

52 minutes ago, Bek said:

The GDP of the Philippines is 383bn dollars and remittances are about 30bn dollars a year. So that makes it less than 10%. 

Filipinos seem to be in many countries these day. You can even see them in our region sometimes. They are mostly hired as nannies and English-language tutors.

When I was in Dubai, I saw them in supermarkets, hotels, restaurants you name it. 

What struck me was that they are humble and smiley. The girls are petite and pretty. :)

Hmm... interesting, thanks. Just makes me wonder why that person who told me that said 70%...

They also often work on freighters and as nurses abroad.

Edited by ChocoBro