JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

'Yahwistic' names

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1368 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Article on Fox News reporting about an excavation at Abel Beth Maacah in Northern Israel.

The property owner a worshipper of Yahweh. His name is Benayo , or Benayau.

Names incorporating Yahweh generally end in 'yo' or 'yau'.

Was this a common practice?

How does this differ from names incorporating Jehovah rather than Yahweh? 

The example cited in the story dates back 2800 years.

3 minutes ago, Doug said:

Article on Fox News reporting about an excavation at Abel Beth Maacah in Northern Israel.

The property owner a worshipper of Yahweh. His name is Benayo , or Benayau.

Names incorporating Yahweh generally end in 'yo' or 'yau'.

Was this a common practice?

The example cited in the story dates back 2800 years.

This is an interesting finding.

The final -yo or -yah in Hebrew names was a very common practice. Most names either began with Je- or ended with -yah, both being forms of the Tetragrammaton.

This ending -yo or -yau is not evidence of the erroneous form Yahweh. Rather, they correspond to the abbreviation Yaho or Yah, which is used in poetic texts in the Bible many times.

Of note . And evidence for the Genesis Exodus account. Very few Biblical names included the divine name as part of their construction prior to the Exodus.  So deep was the psychological impact of the Exodus event that in a single generation the practice of naming children with some aspect of the divine name became common. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2020 at 11:33 AM, Doug said:

"Jehovah" and "Yahweh" are both forms of the Divine Name יהוה (YHWH or JHVH). Today, many in academic community latch onto the form "Yahweh" believing that it is the most likely pronunciation of the original "יהוה". It is most likely true that יהוה did not have a "J" sound at the beginning of the name, neither did Jesus or Jeremiah. These are modernized versions - translations - of ancient names. 

However, "Yahweh" is likely incorrect as the original pronunciation. While it's an educated guess, it still does not account for the fact that "יהוה" was likely trisyllabic. Though, I would argue that this does not indicate that we should not use "Yahweh", because "Jehovah" likewise is not 'correct.'

That being said, in our publications you will see other forms of יהוה that are more similar to "Yahweh" than "Jehovah." 

Awabakal: Yehóa

Bangi: Yawe

Bolia: Yawe

Douala: Yehowa

Ila: Yaave

Iliku (dialect of Lusengo): Yawe

Indonesian: YAHWEH

Kalanga: Yehova; Yahwe

Lomongo: Yawe; Yova

Lingala: Yawe

Luo: Yawe

Ngando: Yawe

Ntomba: Yawe

Portuguese: Iáhve

Seneca: Ya’wĕn

Sengele: Yawe

Spanish: Jehová; Yahvé; YHWH; Yahweh

Teke-Eboo: Yawe

Zulu: Jehova; YAHWE

- NWT pp. 1743

You should see that these all bear some resemblance to "Yahweh". Most of the names here are "Yawe" which - when sounded out - is pronounced "Yah-weh".

The brothers have pointed out that, especially while preaching, we shouldn't get hung-up on which pronunciation, or which form is correct. If the household prefers to say "Yahweh", then go with that. "Yahweh" is still a form of the Divine Name. 

In English, my name is "Michael" (2 syllables). But you can still call me "Mike" (1 syllable), or "Mikey."(2 syllables) 

Also, in Spanish I go by "Miguel". (2 syllables)

In Russian I go by "Mikhail" (3 syllables), or "Misha" (2 syllables), or "Mishka" (2 syllables).  

In Greek I would go by "Michelakos" (4 syllables - I think), while in Hebrew I would go by "Mikha'el" (3 syllables - I think).

As we can see, a name becomes radically transformed when it is translated. This should also apply to "יהוה."

IAO was a common Greek translation of the Divine Name used in the Septuagint 4Q424 and can also be found in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

220px-4Q120_frg20_with_Divine_Name.jpg

transcription of the divine name as ΙΑΩ in

the 1st-century BCE Septuagint manuscript 4Q120

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...