JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Attempted Watering Down of the Bible by Satanic Entertainment

We were horrified to be dished up an advertisement on Amazon this week about a demon and an angel who make friends reluctantly and try and stop Armageddon. 

The synopsis for the show reads: 

Aziraphale and Crowley, of Heaven and Hell respectively, have grown rather fond of the Earth. So it’s terrible news that it’s about to end. The armies of Good and Evil are amassing. The Four Horsemen are ready to ride. Everything is going according to the Divine Plan…except that someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist. Can our heroes find him and stop Armageddon before it’s too late?

My shock and interest is in the term "Divine Plan'!

It really feels like the demons know and (try not to) shudder...

I think the Devil is mocking the Divine plan. 

What other examples of the dilution of the bible message do you see in entertainment and pop culture?

I see things like the Matrix/Superman/Frozen may be copying the Messianic Covenant and the Saving of Mankind;

Most superheroes seem to be transforming themselves into angels of light and battling demon/dragon/wild beasts that either appear or disappear into smoke/dust/sand; 

How to Train Your Dragon - The Great Dragon is hurled into an Abyss and feed by a lot of smaller dragons?;

Even the Academy Award Statute (Oscar!) is very like the Ausur or Osiris, the Egyptian god;

The National Academy of Television, Arts and Sciences' anagram seems to spell 'Satan' backwards;

Star Wars/Narnia/Lion King may be seen as the story of Universal Sovereignty corrupted;

I stare at an apple with a bite taken out of it all day...It's on the front of my computer...

Paranoia? Conspiracy theory?  

Or substantial enough to be fact?

The Best Life Ever Is Here, and the Very Best Life Ever Is Coming Very Soon.

Please keep in mind that discussions and questions about demons may cause our members to do research about demons from other sources and become exposed to Satanic information. That is what Satan wants. 

Please be cautious.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

Please keep in mind that discussions and questions about demons may cause our members to do research about demons from other sources and become exposed to Satanic information. That is what Satan wants. 

Please be cautious.

Understood. Happy if you want to take the post away...

The Best Life Ever Is Here, and the Very Best Life Ever Is Coming Very Soon.

This TV show is bad, as many religion related TV shows are. 

This source of "Entertainment is a tool from the wicked one. 

We can be grateful Jehovah provided very positive and upbuilding content (and will continue to do so (Ramapo)) on our website. 

Moved topic to the "Books, Movies, TV, YouTube, Music, & Theatre." forum.

Almost everything in entertainment mocks Jehovah's righteous standards. It's no joke when you hear a speaker say that Satan controls the entertainment industry. From shows praising immoral lifestyles, to shows about demons, zombies, vampires, etc that even have the gull to paint them in a positive light and as the heroes, etc. 

It's nasty and it is shaping people's thinking, unfortunately.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

We've all heard the illustration of slowly boiling a frog in water (whether it's true or not). Our speaker yesterday gave a personal experience of the first time his youngest son got in the ocean. 

His boy was afraid of water so they walked out together just to get his feet wet, he slowly got comfortable, so they walked out a little more until it was at his knees, he slowly got comfortable. He kept doing that until he eventually was in the water up to his neck.

If the world's entertainment doesn't make us uncomfortable, then we may already be in it up to our neck...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

May I humbly point out that we are very quick to jump on Apostate threads ... as we should be ... and the mod team you are excellent at keeping your fingers on the pulse. But who is the great Apostate?  He's a trickly character that one .. willl be glad when he's been moved on.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

May I humbly point out that we are very quick to jump on Apostate threads ... as we should be ... and the mod team you are excellent at keeping your fingers on the pulse. But who is the great Apostate?  He's a trickly character that one .. willl be glad when he's been moved on.

I appreciate the reminder that Brother Brother gave us about how Satan's thinking has affected the entertainment industry.  The WT will regularly show pictures of friends using their bible trained conscience when making personal choices. We need to constantly stay on guard and we may need reminders about what to watch for...

4 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I appreciate the reminder that Brother Brother gave us about how Satan's thinking has affected the entertainment industry.  The WT will regularly show pictures of friends using their bible trained conscience when making personal choices. We need to constantly stay on guard and we may need reminders about what to watch for...

I too appreciated the reminder. It's so contaminated now even ads are crazy. I saw a popup ad for a similar storyline (might even be the same one) on youtube ... you don't get a chance to click away fast enough. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

13 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I appreciate the reminder that Brother Brother gave us...

Does Brother Brother like Pizza Pizza!?

.littlecaesar.jpg

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

added mascot

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

TV shows like this are not anything new ... There was one called "Touched by an Angel" that ran from 1994 through 2003.

They do seem to be getting progressively worse and more common ... but not a new device by a long shot (remembering movies like "I'ts a Wonderful Life" from 1946 [based on a short story from 1939])

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

24 minutes ago, Brother Brother said:

Yes.Yes. With Cheesy cheese.

^ Oh, so this is Brother Brother :D

Here I thought Richard made a type-o :lol1:

Man, I've been gone to long. Pleased to meet ya!

I have wondered weather or not the villainous plot in 2018's Avengers: Infinity War was meant to be a commentary on the morality of Armageddon and God's judgement. The film's moral lesson is that the execution of "innocent" lives for the sake of the universe is always wrong. The Bible, however, clearly shows that God will execute the (most likely) majority of humanity for the sake of a perfect, eternal society, which cannot exist otherwise. 

While obviously the villain is wrong, it does seem it could plant the idea that "God is also wrong" into the mind of the viewer.  

6 minutes ago, 1MKnight said:

I have wondered weather or not the villainous plot in 2018's Avengers: Infinity War was meant to be a commentary on the morality of Armageddon and God's judgement. The film's moral lesson is that the execution of "innocent" lives for the sake of the universe is always wrong. The Bible, however, clearly shows that God will execute the (most likely) majority of humanity for the sake of a perfect, eternal society, which cannot exist otherwise. 

While obviously the villain is wrong, it does seem it could plant the idea that "God is also wrong" into the mind of the viewer.  

Thanos did it at random to where he wasn’t a judge, the wicked as well as innocent, even children died. Armageddon’s not at random.

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

8 minutes ago, Nirex said:

Thanos did it at random to where he wasn’t a judge, the wicked as well as innocent, even children died. Armageddon’s not at random.

For sure, there are numerous differences between the two concepts. I do believe that many people today view the God of the Bible the same as the audience is meant to view Thanos: A cosmic being who will universally execute people according to a moral sense they do not agree with

Our society is taught that Democracy is the only way to free and stable society, and that anything resembling dictatorship is wrong. So then, what is Jehovah's rule? 

An African economist commented that, ideally, poor countries need a “benevolent dictator.” The implication is that to end poverty, it takes someone with power to act and kindness to care... Where can such an ideal ruler be found? ... God has appointed Jesus as King... He is the ideal Ruler.
 *** w11 6/1 p. 7 Good News for the Poor ***

Obviously, people of the world have problems with this idea. This is exemplified in portrayal of how absolute power is wielded in modern stories. 

Such a commentary is, of course, a shallow commentary. (And that may not be the mindset of the one's behind the movie's production, just a speculation)

I just wanted to say that probably our entire congregation loves the Avengers movies and has seen everyone of them... at the midnight showing after the meeting.

You may now resume your regular conversation :D

2 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

entire congregation loves the Avengers movies and has seen everyone of them

I do feel sorry for you folks up there...it seems that the area has limited access to other movies ...LOL :lol1:

Sending Blues Brothers DVD to ya.... :blues-bros

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

10 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

I just wanted to say that probably our entire congregation loves the Avengers movies and has seen everyone of them... at the midnight showing after the meeting.

You may now resume your regular conversation :D

Are the modern day Nephilim pretty entertaining? :lol1:

On 2/16/2020 at 12:03 AM, Brother Brother said:

We were horrified to be dished up an advertisement on Amazon this week about a demon and an angel who make friends reluctantly and try and stop Armageddon. 

The synopsis for the show reads: 

Aziraphale and Crowley, of Heaven and Hell respectively, have grown rather fond of the Earth. So it’s terrible news that it’s about to end. The armies of Good and Evil are amassing. The Four Horsemen are ready to ride. Everything is going according to the Divine Plan…except that someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist. Can our heroes find him and stop Armageddon before it’s too late?

My shock and interest is in the term "Divine Plan'!

It really feels like the demons know and (try not to) shudder...

I think the Devil is mocking the Divine plan. 

What other examples of the dilution of the bible message do you see in entertainment and pop culture?

I see things like the Matrix/Superman/Frozen may be copying the Messianic Covenant and the Saving of Mankind;

Most superheroes seem to be transforming themselves into angels of light and battling demon/dragon/wild beasts that either appear or disappear into smoke/dust/sand; 

How to Train Your Dragon - The Great Dragon is hurled into an Abyss and feed by a lot of smaller dragons?;

Even the Academy Award Statute (Oscar!) is very like the Ausur or Osiris, the Egyptian god;

The National Academy of Television, Arts and Sciences' anagram seems to spell 'Satan' backwards;

Star Wars/Narnia/Lion King may be seen as the story of Universal Sovereignty corrupted;

I stare at an apple with a bite taken out of it all day...It's on the front of my computer...

I'm going to try and break this down bit by bit, because there's a lot here to discuss.  Overall, I believe that you are overthinking entertainment.

The Amazon show you're talking about is called Good Omens and it's by a writer named Neil Gaiman.  He's a great storyteller, but his works are mostly fantasy and science fiction.  I've read a couple of graphic novels that he's written or contributed to.  I'm not sure why anyone would be offended by this; it's obviously not biblical Christianity but rather Christendom's flawed theology that's being parodied here.

I don't see dilution of the Bible's message in anything you've mentioned.

Superman is a superhero, an alien from Krypton.  He's not a messianic figure.   Neo from The Matrix is probably more of a messianic figure, but those films blended theology and philosophy in a pretty sloppy manner (especially the sequels).  

How to Train Your Dragon is based on a children's book and has absolutely nothing to do with Satan.

Is the Oscar statuette modeled after an Egyptian god?  Maybe. [https://www.cairoscene.com/Buzz/Is-The-Oscar-Statuette-Modelled-After-An-Ancient-Egyptian-Go]  I don't know, because I haven't watched the Oscars in over a decade and I don't think about things like this very much.

Star Wars is based on every story ever told except that it has lightsabers.  It's almost a classic fairy tale, but set in space.

The Chronicles of Narnia does have a Christian allegory in it, namely Aslan the lion.  C.S. Lewis went from being an atheist/agnostic to being a Christian and wrote nonfiction books about his conversion.  Take a look at Mere Christianity or The Screwtape Letters sometime.  He was on the right track, but apparently did not know Jehovah.  

The Lion King is partially based on the plot of "Hamlet" by Shakespeare.  Again, I am not seeing anything relating to the issue of universal sovereignty in here.

The Apple logo has nothing to do with the Bible, because the forbidden fruit was not an apple.  It's just a company logo.

DISCLAIMER:  Everything here is my own opinion.  I don't see paranoia here, but you seem to really be overthinking a lot about modern entertainment.  Sometimes a show is just a show, and a movie is just a movie.  

Now that I've read the whole thread (I was mobile before)

... I'm with the person bove. Other than the blatant parodies or perversion of the bible (Good Omens, Preacher, Supernatural,e everything my  husband watches and I have to hear about)

A lot of them may appear to 'take from the bible' because they do. But it's not purposeful perversion on a lot of them. It's just the simple fact you learn if you write fiction. Originality doesn't exist. If you've ever seen the site TVTropes, it's an entire website showing the 'tropes' of fiction and stories. Things used a million times in a story. The bible was the first story, non-fiction, but story. People borrowed its story ideas (Greek Mythologies Hercules anyone?) made their own. Then other people based their stories on those stories (Greek mythology in like almost everything now). And now any story idea you come up with takes from SOMETHING, and will a lot of the time take from the bible far-off removed.

Like.. there's a popular trope called "The jesus figure' where a character is either a savior with powers, coming from a higher plane of existence, or simply a savior born of nothing that had miraculous characters. Anakin from Star Wars is one. Steven from a cartoon Steven Universe I watch is one, Neo was sort of one. It's become a trope. But not to insult the bible. Just because, the bible was the first story to take from. And had the first 'hero'.

Edited by Nirex

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

1 hour ago, Nirex said:

If you've ever seen the site TVTropes, it's an entire website showing the 'tropes' of fiction and stories. Things used a million times in a story.

And TV Tropes (one of my favorite sites to read) has an entire section on The Bible alone.  

On 2/16/2020 at 6:03 AM, Brother Brother said:

It's completely true that the entertainment world is controlled by Satan and that it promotes all kinds of values and lifestyles contrary to the Bible. We need to be careful with what we watch and read.

On the other hand, those examples above sound more like conspiracy theories than anything else to me. If we want to find fault we will find it everywhere, even in the Bible and our publications. If every story containing a lion or a dragon refers to Satan and every hero is a fallen angel, then you will quickly run out of stories to tell.

"How to train your dragon" doesn't have anything to do with Satan. Superheroes fight monsters because monsters are bad and hurt people. The Narnia books were written by an Anglican believer to explain basic themes of the Bible to children. (For example, the first book tries to explain the ransom.) Star Wars is a fairytale set in space. The Lion King is a retelling of Hamlet. In all those movies good defeats evil, and they all teach lessons about the value of friendship, family, loyalty, courage or self-sacrifice.

Of course, most stories feature extraordinary beasts or people with superhuman abilities. If they told stories of normal people who don't do anything special nobody would care to watch or read them. :shrugs: