JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

17 minutes ago, DarinS said:

that being said many friends are limited and can only use - or figure out how to connect with a Mobile device....

that works fine for joining an existing meeting.......

they still struggle with Camera and all the bits and bobbles we have seen over the months

however those with added responsibilities need to invest the time to learn it

Particularly if they conduct a Q&A part, and struggle to see ones wanting to comment. It is a bit chaotic when a brother conducting asks to tell him who is raising their hands. 😗

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

“Who do you think put that idea in their head?“ - D. Splane Video

In our Hall we have a couple Brothers who conduct Q&A parts and do not always have access to seeing the hands (various reasons) and when that happens, another Brother calls on the hands instead of telling the conductor who has their hand up. It doesn't happen often - but this method does not seem chaotic.

We have some who cannot seem to use the "raise hand" feature and still raise/wave their literal hand to comment. There only a few who do this (like the Elders wife who is on the same device as her husband when he is conducting) and some who cannot readily find the feature on their mobile device. We used to have the same problem with the co-host people until we found a work around.

Any who are host or co-host now use the "wave hand" feature in the participants panel (not the one in the "reaction" button on the main screen). It "raises" a blue hand in the panel similar to the raised hand.

For those who still need to wave their physical hand, the new feature of being able to rearrange the gallery pictures allows the host to move those few people to the top of their screen and stay there - makes it much easier to see if they have their hand up because you don't have to search through images that may keep changing positions.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 minutes ago, Qapla said:

In our Hall we have a couple Brothers who conduct Q&A parts and do not always have access to seeing the hands (various reasons) and when that happens, another Brother calls on the hands instead of telling the conductor who has their hand up. It doesn't happen often - but this method does not seem chaotic.

To each his own. This is definitely from the device being used. The brother gets nervous, misses a hand, then abruptly stops. I was replying to Darin about the need to take the time to invest in preparation, which I completely agree.

- Read the Bible daily 

8 minutes ago, Qapla said:

We have some who cannot seem to use the "raise hand" feature and still raise/wave their literal hand to comment.

If a brother conducting the part knows he can't see the participants, then this is an important recommendation he should mention during his part, which was not the case. We have a mix of some who use the electronic hands, and some who don't. Both works well in our congregation.

- Read the Bible daily 

57 minutes ago, DarinS said:

John

What others have alluded to but not actually said....is that IPhone and IPad are considered mobile devices and not all features work with the mobile version of the app - regardless of IOS - Android -Windows

the product is designed to be run by a host with FULL PC - Laptop Desktop etc

most appointed brothers in the US have access to Laptops and desktops and the product should work fine for the brother acting as HOST

(as you have seen when you are HOST)

however those with added responsibilities need to invest the time to learn it - most of our brothers on Sound Console and such have done so — our MS over Sound even mad a video and showed everyone the basics.....

we have practiced with a few over the weekend to get them up to speed

now we have about 15 individuals that can run the Organizer / Host / Co-Host assignments for a meeting

Thank you Darin.  the explanation you give is clear.  We don't have any regular hosts or cohosts on an Apple device.  It is just that our CO wants the Field Service Group overseers to break up their individual groups into breakout rooms (call it 'car groups' if you will) on our weekend service gatherings.  Now all of the FSG brothers are not the same ones who are our usual hosts so many of them have never had to try and create a room.  About half of the groups are hosted by elders with PC desktops or laptops.  But the other elders are trying to use their Ipads and a 40 minute "Free" Zoom.  It is not working out as the CO intended.  We will get it sorted out in the next couple of weeks.  I am sure that someone in their FSG group has the needed equipment and we will get the Zoom subscription available.  All will be good in the end....❤️

15 minutes ago, bigvince said:

I host our groups weekend meetings on my Mac. Am I to understand that I can’t create break out rooms on a Mac desktop computer?

MacOS desktops and laptops can. It's just the iPads that can't create.

Edited by TylerD

1 hour ago, bigvince said:

I host our groups weekend meetings on my Mac. Am I to understand that I can’t create break out rooms on a Mac desktop computer?

image.png.2badab5cd1447b2deee476c960a63250.png

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

2 hours ago, DarinS said:

our MS over Sound even mad a video and showed everyone the basics.....

we have practiced with a few over the weekend to get them up to speed

now we have about 15 individuals that can run the Organizer / Host / Co-Host assignments for a meeting

Thanks to you Bro. I was wondering if I could use a 2nd screen for my surface tablet. Here is the video on YouTube.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

We’ve been cheating a bit....

we did have one brother host....invited the whole congregation for service 
then made like 8 breakout rooms and he moved everyone....

only issue was he spent all morning checking rooms and then reassigning folks when some left the room.....

so now we are letting 2 groups meet together each weekend ...and we can make separate groups like 2 for the attendees

we plan to switch the FSG pairings each month to add some variety and let everyone chat and ‘widen out’ with others

and still have smaller groups

and yes I can host and create breakouts from Windows desktop....iMac....MacBook...and SurfacePro4 tablet(Windows10-full OS)

just not on our  ipads and phones

We have 5 FSG groups every Saturday at 9:30 AM.  In the past, the conductors have been giving the typical 5-7 minute presentation for field service and then letting everybody go their own way.  Then we had the admonition given to stay on with them and join together with them in writing letters or doing phone witnessing for 1-2 hours or so.  Most of our Saturday groups are reasonably sized with 4-6 participating zoom screens.

Our CO recommended a "car group" size of 4-6 publishers which might be only 2 or 3 screens, perhaps.  So the need to create 2 or 3 breakout rooms for each FSG group.  We have never done that before so there is a learning curve and now we find that many of these conductors were using their Ipads for the meetings they hosted for the FSG group they were assigned to.  So we will make changes in next few weeks.

8 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Particularly if they conduct a Q&A part, and struggle to see ones wanting to comment. It is a bit chaotic when a brother conducting asks to tell him who is raising their hands. 😗

We have two elderly brothers who have a difficult time with gallery and looking for digital hands.

Brother in charge of spotlighting would spotlight the person that wants to comment.

Then once  the elderly brother conducting sees the spotlighted publisher, he calls on him/her.

Way better than hearing a voice calling on the person.

1 hour ago, bigvince said:

It is for the a/v brothers, those hosting and those attending.

Our written instruction is ONLY for those assigned by BOE.....

not for attendees

so if German is making a document specifically for attendees.... that might help....

then again your probably talking about those technology challenged folks...

perhaps a video with examples.....something they can .... see

The zoominst-E.pdf document is from the branch and any servant can obtain it. This is the reference on how to setup the Zoom meetings, some settings are obligatory others are optional so any document or guide created would have to reflect those required settings. In addition the guide and letter to the BofE states who should do what. In addition any Zoom license obtained from the branch has additional settings locked. For example we no longer can eliminate the waiting room once the meeting has started with the branch's Zoom license but we can with our own.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

10 minutes ago, bigvince said:

@DarinS sorry for the confusion, I was referring to attendants, not the audience.  What I’m talking about is something to help attendants or the host know 1. What they need to do, and 2. Exactly how to do it. My plan is to use it to train the brothers.

Instructions for attendants can be found in paragraphs 21-24 Zoominf.

4 hours ago, bigvince said:

I'm planning to develop a how to guide on zoom for our A/V brothers. Has anyone done that yet?

My son-in-law (our elder in charge of A/V) has made up 3 instruction sheets for Breakout Rooms, Midweek Meetings and Weekend Meetings.  Here is a screenshot (reduced in size) for the 2-page PDF on breakout rooms.

br3.JPG