JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

24 minutes ago, TylerD said:

That is odd. Never seen this problem before. Here are just some things that come to mind to possibly fix this.

Thanks. I already have restarted Zoom myself, but it does not have worked my end. I have wondered maybe restarting the meeting would possibly fix it, but I will not have a way of confirming right now since the meeting is already in progress right now.

It’s possible something new that got introduced in the 5.0 update recently. Hopefully we have some more info on this.

53 minutes ago, Hinata said:

Sure, I do know that the feature is not in the desktop version.

The picture was taken in the desktop version too. So I do not understand the issue.

Are you suggesting that the host has disabled the option?

it is an option in pro versions - most likely unknown to the host ------lol---so unlikely they did it on purpose

the one time it happened to me on the desktop - i was the host - we had an external drop in internet connectivity - someone hit a nearby transformer...had some intermittent power issues

which impacted internet and my video resorted to a lower quality for a short time period.....

more likely tho - its tied into all these new updates....im seeing issues and bugs daily in my secular scenarios

Pictures during the meeting?

Hope this is the right forum, in our Streamed Public Talk today a Brother Mason from Australia several times referred us to the picture on the screen, well there were no pictures. I checked the meeting broadcast on YouTube and this week (from USA) they do include at least one picture in the Public Talk. Then the Study conductor wanted to include pictures from the Watchtower but all he could do was hold his paper Watchtower up to his camera.

So:

1) With Streamed Public Talks should pictures they use still appear? Our Host only has one computer screen, would he need two to do this?

2) During other items is it awkward to show pictures from the publication on the screen? I gather the host would do Share Screen, does that work or does it just make things more complicated?

All information gratefully received.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:19 PM, Sheep said:

I don't think this is going to have any impact on our congregation. If someone has a comment to make, that publisher has to unmute him/herself. The host doesn't unmute anyone.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:02 PM, Bro Richard said:

It will impact our meetings. The current arrangement is for a brother to be co-host and he mutes and unmutes all of the participants.

So we had our second meeting since this started today. The Host just said at the start of the Watchtower that he couldn't unmute anyone, they'd just have to unmute themselves. Fortunately we'd largely being doing that anyway, everything worked fine even with the three who'd usually need help to unmute themselves. That was a relief.

17 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

Pictures during the meeting?

Hope this is the right forum, in our Streamed Public Talk today a Brother Mason from Australia several times referred us to the picture on the screen, well there were no pictures. I checked the meeting broadcast on YouTube and this week (from USA) they do include at least one picture in the Public Talk. Then the Study conductor wanted to include pictures from the Watchtower but all he could do was hold his paper Watchtower up to his camera.

So:

1) With Streamed Public Talks should pictures they use still appear? Our Host only has one computer screen, would he need two to do this?

2) During other items is it awkward to show pictures from the publication on the screen? I gather the host would do Share Screen, does that work or does it just make things more complicated?

All information gratefully received.

I don't watch any talks on youtube. But that has already been discussed.

It is easy for the A / V brother to show pictures.

There may be problems with questions and answers because the screen is covered.

You have to take a break while the picture is shown and the speaker should not show it himself, but the A / V brother.

16 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

So we had our second meeting since this started today. The Host just said at the start of the Watchtower that he couldn't unmute anyone, they'd just have to unmute themselves. Fortunately we'd largely being doing that anyway, everything worked fine even with the three who'd usually need help to unmute themselves. That was a relief.

This is a new Zoom feature.

Not sure if this has been covered, but has anybody figured out how to still participate during meetings while 'hosting' or 'co-hosting' meetings on zoom. 

As far as I'm aware, there still has not been an update that allows those hosting to raise their hands. This sounds like a quick fix on zooms side, not sure why this has been overlooked. 

I normally log in from a second device, normally my mobile phone while using my laptop to host. I join without audio and camera and use this second device (mobile phone) to raise my hand. 

So annoying....... and hope this will be sorted soon. 

5 hours ago, LuGover17 said:

Not sure if this has been covered, but has anybody figured out how to still participate during meetings while 'hosting' or 'co-hosting' meetings on zoom.

Just use the clapping emote or something similar.

5 hours ago, LuGover17 said:

As far as I'm aware, there still has not been an update that allows those hosting to raise their hands. This sounds like a quick fix on zooms side, not sure why this has been overlooked. 

I normally log in from a second device, normally my mobile phone while using my laptop to host. I join without audio and camera and use this second device (mobile phone) to raise my hand. 

So annoying....... and hope this will be sorted soon. 

Last WT  the co-host messaged me and ask if I would take his place as co-host he couldn't raise his hand and he wanted to comment to which I agreed. I became co-host until he got called on at which time I was demoted. Easy come, easy go! :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

All Zoom meetings include both hand raising and clapping by default, yes? https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360038311212-Meeting-reactions
We also have a few others enabled, nice to have (yes/no) but rarely used and don't get in the way. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115001286183

All Zoom meetings include both hand raising and clapping by default, yes? https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360038311212-Meeting-reactions
We also have a few others enabled, nice to have (yes/no) but rarely used and don't get in the way. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115001286183

I was told the host could not access the “reactions” hand clapping etc.

Voni in NC

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

A couple weeks ago there was an update (a minor one) to Zoom. After this update, some were able to have the "raise hand" option available to co-host. After the next update (a major one according to Zoom) the ability for the co-host to raise hand seems to have disappeared.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 minutes ago, Qapla said:

A couple weeks ago there was an update (a minor one) to Zoom. After this update, some were able to have the "raise hand" option available to co-host. After the next update (a major one according to Zoom) the ability for the co-host to raise hand seems to have disappeared.

I concur... Don't know what happened!

There are two places for the clapping hands.

The one on that is available from the view screen is used for placing a reaction on your picture and it only stays for a little while and goes away.

There is also "reactions" available in the "participants" window. 

image.png.f4b57371a4d4ae3490797f7ea7976ebc.png

Under the "more" icon (the one with the three dots) there are a few more reactions ...

image.png.930dd1ec131613d2e3d23a4f27b5ec52.png

This will put up a little blue hand (clapping) on the participants window just like the "raise hand" does. It may not look exactly like the raised hand, but it works and stays up until you (or a host/co-host) lowers it

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Sorry if it was mentioned here before but somebody else in another thread said its a setting called "Nonverbal feedback." Once I enabled that it worked. I didn't realize it was a totally separate setting from the other clapping hands.

8 hours ago, Qapla said:

There are two places for the clapping hands.

The one on that is available from the view screen is used for placing a reaction on your picture and it only stays for a little while and goes away.

There is also "reactions" available in the "participants" window. 

image.png.f4b57371a4d4ae3490797f7ea7976ebc.png

Under the "more" icon (the one with the three dots) there are a few more reactions ...

image.png.930dd1ec131613d2e3d23a4f27b5ec52.png

This will put up a little blue hand (clapping) on the participants window just like the "raise hand" does. It may not look exactly like the raised hand, but it works and stays up until you (or a host/co-host) lowers it

Coffee break?