JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

10 minutes ago, Life4u said:

No, just my first on my pc with Windows 10. Been using my cell phone and now that I have wifi I rather use my personal computer. Thanks.

Have you downloaded and installed it?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

If you have installed it just hit the Windows key, usually lower left on your keyboard. Thai will show your progams, scroll to bottom and click on Zoom.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, walkr2 said:

In the beginning we were able to "chat" after the meeting. For me, because I wanted to say hello to some of the friends, I had to use that option to be heard. I'm not a loud talker and my voice simply could not win over all the loud talking. So I would sent them a quick chat, especially the older ones, just to let them know that they were seen. 

Now all that has changed and only the host (1, 2, or 3) can use "chat!"  This is certainly disheartening to me because I'm used to speaking to all the friends!  

I just log out now since I'm not heard and somehow I feel incomplete!  

What do you think? Am I being selfish because there is a need to recognize those who, like me, are not heard? ☹️ 😢

One of the reasons to disable the chat option may be security. Due to covid-19 many people use Zoom and cyber criminals take advantage of some "weak points" to steal information. Therefore, it is a protection measure to have chat disabled. There are still other options that some have discussed in order to communicate with others.

P.D Excuse my English (I use translator)

44 minutes ago, Old said:

If you have installed it just hit the Windows key, usually lower left on your keyboard. Thai will show your progams, scroll to bottom and click on Zoom.

Thanks very much! Got it.

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:56 PM, Sheep said:

Note to all concerned: MBps means Megabytes per second, but is not the usual designation we hear. More likely, the numbers we see would be Mbps (lower-case b), which is Megabits per second. MBps would be about eight times that amount.

Actually megabytes is about 1/8 of the amount of megabits. 1 megabyte is 8 megabits. But hey who's counting. When I had 3 mbps dsl I could stream Netflix to 2 different devices. Most can't tell the difference between 5 mbps and 100 mbps unless they are downloading large files.

Hi all, hope everyone has had a good start to the week. I am an Elder and the sound and now Zoom overseer. 

Is there anything someone can send me to clear up the issueas to whether having video on during meetings effects the bandwidth of others. Their seems to be an ongoing debate to whether video should be left on or off during Zoom meetings. 

Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  

My understanding is that it doesn't matter how many are on, Zoom will dynamically adjust the video quality according to each users bandwidth. Though of course they recommend a minimum bandwidth for a good experience. Our hall has had an average of 25-40 video connections before and after meetings, and according to me checking the statistics it tends to stay around the same low download limit. If their internet is poor or their wifi is overloaded, there will be hitches and problems regardless. If you have a licensed Zoom account, you might be able to get a more definitive answer through a support ticket or chat.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us

On 4/30/2020 at 9:24 PM, AH173 said:

It seems that these questions are dealt with at this zoom webpage.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-requirements-for-Windows-macOS-and-Linux

My thoughts are if you have a lower class device(s),  lower class internet, lower class home internet infrastructure, lower class internet transmission of data and a whole bunch of devices using it your experience will be bad for video and audio combined.

However if you have medium to top class device(s), medium to top internet, medium to top class home internet infrastructure, medium to top class internet transmission of devices and regardless of volume of devices using it- then your experience will be good. 

All things considered with a good understanding of how things work- one's experience will be ok to excellent.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:08 AM, AH173 said:

From what is on zoom website I provided, it is more involved than simply a minimum requirement for internet speed. It's important but more is involved. Please read what they provide as system requirements. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-requirements-for-Windows-macOS-and-Linux

The above is my suggestion as to how to diagnose certian problems with zoom. From my entry level schooling and computer proficiency- it is not simply just a matter of bandwith- even though it is important. Please cheek into the hyperlinks above. They may be helpful.

4 hours ago, LuGover17 said:

Hi all, hope everyone has had a good start to the week. I am an Elder and the sound and now Zoom overseer. 

Is there anything someone can send me to clear up the issueas to whether having video on during meetings effects the bandwidth of others. Their seems to be an ongoing debate to whether video should be left on or off during Zoom meetings. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

11 hours ago, LuGover17 said:

If someone a bad internet connection is their problem and the amount of people connected will not make it was or better. Their view might go from 720p to 360p

Edited by Luigi62

On 5/11/2020 at 9:38 AM, LuGover17 said:

For an easier monitoring and avoiding distractions, we have everyone turn off their videos during the public talks.

For the watchtower, commenters turn on their videos.

This way It’s easier for cohosts to monitor for any disruptions.  

On 5/5/2020 at 11:40 AM, The German said:

C:\Users\YOURPC\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\bin\Zoom.exe

If it is not there. Download again.

Then start with the link.

I think this might be difficult for anyone starting in the era of Windows PCs or coming off using a tablet. I started out with MS DOS and now many Windows years later something like 'C/Users/YOURPC/ etc' throughs me for a loop. Come to think of it I no longer even know how to find the command screen.

Guess I am just too "Old".

Dear Bros, we are in the UK and most congregations are now using the zoom cloud meetings app for all meetings including meetings for field service, we have our circuit visit this week complete with morning meetings for field service. 

Our meeting attendances have gone up, some elderly ones are now enjoying seeing their brothers again as well as hearing them also some who left are coming back to the truth. Our brothers are using various devices, iPad, android, pc, imac, and dial up, most connect video and.sound but a few connect without video, however they can still see everyone and comment if they wish.

In addition, bros and sisters sometimes meet in groups to discuss day text or sharing experiences or just for fun with quiz.

Here in the UK we are not allowed to cold call people by letter or phone or to record details of calls or not at homes without their permission.

Jehovah is using this situation to his advantage though and we are being trained to make greater use of on-line witnessing and drawn closer in love to one another.

To get Zoom on your PC running windows 10, I suggest easiest way is to go to google and search for " zoom cloud meetings " locate the entry from zoom ( ignore all others ) that says " download centre "  download and install , when asked " run or save " I select " save"  then go to your downloads folder " view downloads" and install the installation file which is highlighted.  Open zoom and select " join a meeting " enter the meeting Id number followed by the meeting password and " join"...enjoy !

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 7:51 PM, Old said:

In addition, to make it easier for you, once you have found zoom on the program list as per above, if you RIGHT click on the zoom icon you can create a shortcut on the task bar or start menu

😃 

I just spent an hour today with my bible student, who has been having issues using her microphone. No sound comes through, though she can hear the meeting. So last meeting she gave up during the Wt and left. It seems to be not just a case for just "join Audio" for different users...it`s different for laptop users vs. android vs. iOS.

There is no mute or unmute with her android, so I couldn`t access the options for audio settings normally beside the mute button with the arrow.

Somehow after joining audio before joining the meeting, her microphone worked, but then I could hardly hear anything she had to say. After some time going through settings and options, she plugged in earplugs into her tablet, then that`s when I could finally hear what she was saying, with normal volume!

Weird. Anyone else have this issue and have a better way to resolve it? I just noticed from google search that I can go under the settings and apps and notifications and see if I can adjust anything there. Will try that option tomorrow. We are both beat! Plus she is a single mom of 3 very young children.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

Trying to get into my Zoom meetingright now.

From Host to Everyone (in Waiting Room):  07:42 PM
Hi in waiting room.  We do need you to rename your device we do not let in ones unless we know who it is.

How do I rename my device? The only place I have seen a renaming option is my displayed name and #.

49 minutes ago, Old said:

Trying to get into my Zoom meetingright now.

From Host to Everyone (in Waiting Room):  07:42 PM
Hi in waiting room.  We do need you to rename your device we do not let in ones unless we know who it is.

How do I rename my device? The only place I have seen a renaming option is my displayed name and #.

For a Zoom name that they can see in the waiting room, when you get to the page where you click "Join a Meeting" it asks for the meeting ID and right below that is a box that has your name or identity listed.  Just erase what is there and type in your real name or include the spouse or family.  Mine says John but I change it each meeting to say John & Cathy.

If you are talking about changing the complete name of your device internally, it will depend on what kind of device, Windows PC, Android Tablet, Iphone or whatever.

12 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

I just spent an hour today with my bible student, who has been having issues using her microphone. No sound comes through, though she can hear the meeting. So last meeting she gave up during the Wt and left. It seems to be not just a case for just "join Audio" for different users...it`s different for laptop users vs. android vs. iOS.

There is no mute or unmute with her android, so I couldn`t access the options for audio settings normally beside the mute button with the arrow.

Somehow after joining audio before joining the meeting, her microphone worked, but then I could hardly hear anything she had to say. After some time going through settings and options, she plugged in earplugs into her tablet, then that`s when I could finally hear what she was saying, with normal volume!

Weird. Anyone else have this issue and have a better way to resolve it? I just noticed from google search that I can go under the settings and apps and notifications and see if I can adjust anything there. Will try that option tomorrow. We are both beat! Plus she is a single mom of 3 very young children.

Dear Sister, I am in Ayr Scotland and perhaps I can help you with this :

Your student is on Android device so there are a few things we can check :

1. Make sure volume control on her tablet is turned up full and nothing is obscuring her mic or speaker eg the casing.

2. Check not in aircraft or driving mode eg headphones on bluetooth.

3. Check device sound volume settings for all categories.

4. On Zoom waiting for host screen, click on test audio link if option shown.

5. Test audio using another app eg google search to test mic and speaker.

6. On Zoom ensure click “ join with audio “ 
and “ join with internet audio” or “ use device audio”

I hope some of this has been of some help.

Best wishes,

Edited by For Hire 24

Additional text

Thank you brother Martin! Will give it a try with her.

Do you happen to know N&C Holmes, a pioneer couple? I think they are from Gerwin? They used to be in Germany, and we visited them last year in Scotland.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

15 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Here is Zoom's support page to help with issues with speakers and microphones:

Audio is Not Working on iOS or Android

11 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Thank you brother Martin! Will give it a try with her.

Do you happen to know N&C Holmes, a pioneer couple? I think they are from Gerwin? They used to be in Germany, and we visited them last year in Scotland.

I certainly do, Nathan and Claire are in Glasgow Craigton Congregation, and Nathan’s mum and dad are in Girvan Cong,  I pioneered with his dad, Eric for a few years at Rothesay Cong on the Isle of Bute , there were 7 publishers in that Cong when we were there , I understand that Nathan gave a public talk to a German Cong recently using Zoom ..😃

On 5/1/2020 at 5:55 AM, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Zoom version 5.0 is out for PC. I just downloaded it. I hope it doesn't upset my meeting for tomorrow!

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

On Monday, we were asked to download 5.0.2 before the midweek meeting! 

Voni in NC

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

2 minutes ago, walkr2 said:

On Monday, we were asked to download 5.0.2 before the midweek meeting! 

Voni in NC

I did not give it any thought to the update prior to the zoom field service today. It was nice that it prompted it first thing. Nice.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible