JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

11 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

May I know how you resolved this problem with the computer audio feeding back to the microphone? Thanks in advance.

I'm planning to buy a logitech webcam for use on my windows 10 PC to zoom.

Br. Chew, it is always good to talk to you.  The answer to your question is undetermined.  I have tried several things and none of them work really well.  The webcam is mounted on the top/center of my monitor (23 inch display).  The mic is built into the camera housing just to the right of the lens as you look at it.  My speakers are mounted in the bottom of my monitor.  There is a tendency to feedback.  I have adjusted the microphone response in Windows 10.  It sounds alright.  I have lowered the mic volume (pickup) about half of the scale.  The speakers begin to "ring" at about a setting of 40 or so in Windows volume control.  I have a Dell computer and they give me a Dell Audio control option or app.  It allows me to mute and unmute my mic and speakers.  If the feedback starts, I can quickly mute my speakers and keep on talking.

My best success so far in 2 meetings and 2 Bible Studies is to lower the volume on the speakers.  I tried covering the mic with cloth or thin tape but it didn't work well.  I have powered remote speakers and I will try to put them over to the side to see if redirection helps.  I have a separate cardiod mic that I might try mounting higher to see if it is better.

I hope your setup works better.

19 hours ago, Dantheman136 said:

Hi Ashley,

Do you know how they used the 4 co-hosts? Also, someone said that the co-hosts  can't answer. Is that correct?

18 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

What does a co-host do? Appreciate if you could tell us more. Thanks in advance.

17 hours ago, molnarj said:

We have assigned different tasks to the host and Co-hosts. One is handling the video's including the songs as well as the Pictures. That's the one with the highest/fastest Upload capacity. Another is opening and closing Mic's of those who were asked to comment and one is lowering hands. 

15 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

The one who creates the meeting can open up as host. The host has full control of the 'back-end' settings. The host can create a co-host. Once again anyone anywhere on the meeting. They then have full control also of the back-end settings. Turn mics on or off. Turn video on or off. Select speaker (for main screen). Lower all hands. Adjust settings like, mute all when joining, block all video when joining.
If you have more than one, each could be assigned a task. When speaker asks a question, one could be assigned to (when name picked) to ummute Mic. (unblock video if desired.) Lower hand afterward. Lower all hands during para reading.
Another co-host could be assigned to screen share the song and any media.
This allows the speaker to just concentrate on the material (much like at the hall), and leave all the 'behind the scenes' tech details to the a/v support brother(s).
I think this is the spirit of paragraphs #11 - 14 of the Zoom instructions available to most congregations. (and I think posted at #115).
It may take some time to train and get enough willing ones up to speed, but well worth it.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

It looks like it was answered well already. Sorry for the delay.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

May I know how you resolved this problem with the computer audio feeding back to the microphone? Thanks in advance.

I'm planning to buy a logitech webcam for use on my windows 10 PC to zoom.
May I suggest something that could help...
I see many use their phone headsets. The Microphone is then close to the mouth, and the feedback is eliminated - as the sound is actually going straight into the ears.
My experience is that laptops and phones that come with webcam and mics 'built-in', seem to be designed with some feed-back resistance.

And a reminder: Do not have 2 active devices in the same physical room...

Old (Downunder) Tone

11 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

May I suggest something that could help...
I see many use their phone headsets. The Microphone is then close to the mouth, and the feedback is eliminated - as the sound is actually going straight into the ears.
My experience is that laptops and phones that come with webcam and mics 'built-in', seem to be designed with some feed-back resistance.

And a reminder: Do not have 2 active devices in the same physical room...

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Br. Tony, what you say is true.  When I use my headset with earphones and mic all is well.  But I share the screen with my wife.  While the camera picks her up in the meeting, my headphones cut-off the speakers and she can't hear anything.  And if she tries to comment, I have to lean over and let her talk into the side of my headset mic.  Not a good arrangement.  If we use the Ipad the screen is so small that getting both of us into the picture is deifficult and my eyesight needs my PC screen of 23 inches.  When I am conducting, the Android only shows 4 participants and my Ipad may get up to 9  but my PC shows 25 people at a time which is almost exactly half of the congregation.

So using the the PC and the large screen is important to my location.  I just have to figure out how to reduce the feedback. I have a separate microphone to try to use.  I have taken my headset with individual plugs for audio in and out and use the mic plug-in and held the headset mic lower than the screen (my wife and I just bend down a little bit to talk into our laps to get a comment in.  That seems to limit the feedback somewhat.

Thanks for your observations.

21 hours ago, pnutts said:

Using Hotspot on cell phone. Internet seems to be down across Southern Ontario and eastern US. All providers affected. Time 2:37 pm EDT.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

So using the the PC and the large screen is important to my location. 

Thanks for your observations.

I agree. It is difficult if you have an assignment to share an phone or tablet. The PC screen with upto 50 participants showing is much clearer.

Many brothers with assignments in our cong use 2 devices in 2 rooms. Technically this works well, but it also means dad is in the office, and mum and the kids are in the lounge room. Seems to seperate families.

I wonder if you can get a splitter and run 2 headsets from one socket...?

Zoom is getting us to use our grey matter to find a workable solution.

By the time we get it sorted, they will tell us it's time to go back to the hall!

Old (Downunder) Tone

40 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

I wonder if you can get a splitter and run 2 headsets from one socket...?

This is what I was thinking about. Split it. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

On 4/1/2020 at 6:14 AM, molnarj said:

We have assigned different tasks to the host and Co-hosts. One is handling the video's including the songs as well as the Pictures. That's the one with the highest/fastest Upload capacity. Another is opening and closing Mic's of those who were asked to comment and one is lowering hands. 

We added 1 attendant to rename e count partecipants

Actually, you can get that message if there is NO meeting in progress for a recurring meeting. When there is a meeting in progress, you will get the message about connecting.

On some meetings you can enter without the host present if they have that option turned on. However, in view of recent warnings and direction, it is not good for us to allow others to enter our meeting room if a host is not present ... after all, if there is not host and someone undesirable entered - no telling what they may say or post.

Check and make sure you have the correct meeting ID - if you do, try again closer to meeting time.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

So ever since they started a the password on the meetings, I've been unable to get in. Two meetings already. I message the elder and he tells me eeryone else was able to make it work. But I've used the format of the password he gave me, and others gave me, and I've tried every other combination of the password I could think of, and I still can't get in. Says incorrect on all of them.

I've attempted to troubleshoot it, and still nothing. Has anyone had this issue? Using Windows 10 version on my laptop.

Edited by Nirex

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

1 hour ago, Nirex said:

So ever since they started a the password on the meetings, I've been unable to get in. Two meetings already. I message the elder and he tells me eeryone else was able to make it work. But I've used the format of the password he gave me, and others gave me, and I've tried every other combination of the password I could think of, and I still can't get in. Says incorrect on all of them.

I've attempted to troubleshoot it, and still nothing. Has anyone had this issue? Using Windows 10 version on my laptop.

The Zoom app was updated  (in the last few days, I think). It has caused a few problems in our congregation.  One of the updates that Zoom mentioned was about passwords.

EDIT:  If one of the elders could send you an "invitation" it contains all the numbers and passwords embedded.  Click on that link rather than trying to enter the numbers manually.  If you are using a phone or tablet, you might try clearing the cache to remove old passwords or meeting numbers.

Edited by jwhess

2 hours ago, Nirex said:

Please ask the Elder who is the host of the account:

Is this slider closed( off -gray) or on (blue-on)?

image.thumb.png.3e005d670e795ae346ae8ae784a5f246.png

Are you trying to join the zoom meeting prior the host?

Are you properly identifying yourself so the host or co host knows who you are?

Have you powered you device off and on again and tried to get in?

Have you signed up for a free account?

Is your device newer or older that is being used for the zoom meeting?

Also, you can ask someone to put you on speakerphone and call one who has the zoom app going and listen in or give a comment.

That' s all I can think of that could possibly help.

Edited by AH173

update

Pls, how can you share your screen with your smart phone and the friends will hear the sound of whatever you are playing?

If it is on a laptop you can easily share your computer sound, but when you want to share your smart phone screen, others won't hear any sound. Is there any solution? We use zoom here.

Sent from my TECNO LC6 using Tapatalk

Since I have a Pro license Zoom emailed that on April 5th they would enforce passwords because they have a security issue. Yesterday I tried to host a meeting for our Field Service Group and Zoom had already changed their policy. The password tick box was checked and I could not uncheck it and I was assigned a numerical password. Changed the password to something that a JW would know by heart.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

Looks like Laptops and computers are not dead yet. There are limitations on mobile devices. I shared screens from the Windows Desktop application, very easy. All our meeting hosting is done from laptops or computers, the clients are tablets or phones.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

13 minutes ago, TRUTH04 said:

Pls, how can you share your screen with your smart phone and the friends will hear the sound of whatever you are playing?

If it is on a laptop you can easily share your computer sound, but when you want to share your smart phone screen, others won't hear any sound. Is there any solution? We use zoom here.

Sent from my TECNO LC6 using Tapatalk

No, you can only share documents.

https://blog.recovery-android.com/enable-screen-sharing-on-mobile-devices-with-zoom/

Edited by The German

I believe a windows pc or macbook can share screen. Probably due to the system requirements needed. 

16. Technical Requirements: The audio/video support brother should, when possible, use 
the desktop version of the Zoom application (Windows or Mac).

On 3/26/2020 at 12:57 PM, Myew said:

You don't have to change the name of your phone. Before you join a room in Zoom, it will show the display name which you can edit. Or you can rename yourself from the participants menu while in a meeting.

I didn’t know you were supposed to sign in with your name so the brother called on iPad to answer. Nobody did because I didn’t know it was me!  😁