JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

2 hours ago, ray said:

Has anyone here made use of Zoom breakout rooms to host specific meeting parts for language groups? Just seeing if anyone can help. :)

I use zoom Rooms for mic and video technical test, i also used for tech support...You can Put some people in the room with a co-host, have a share screen indipendent e Rejoin when finished....rooms have a cost, i think first month is free for licensed account ...just check 

Has anyone monitored the mobile data usage on a zoom meeting?

During the meeting tonight I was watching the Stats page. On the video page it went from 0 fps to (mostly) 12. Peaked at 25 fps. So the Zoom program will adjust the quality dependant on your available bandwidth.
Next month I will get a seperate data account a phone, and see what the data figures are.

Old (Downunder) Tone

2 hours ago, timerone said:

I use zoom Rooms for mic and video technical test, i also used for tech support...You can Put some people in the room with a co-host, have a share screen indipendent e Rejoin when finished....rooms have a cost, i think first month is free for licensed account ...just check 

thanks for the info

I had the privilege from the cobe to be the Co host for zoom last night. 

It was a JOB! 

More intense than the audio board at the KH, more intense than queuing up the videos /images for jw library for monitors. 

I was drained completely. Even there was only the elders and servants commenting.

I need more prayer and study the system. 

It's a lot to do. 103 max connections with about 130-150 Attdance. My guess. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Thanks for that. I am tied in to my former avs overseers congregation and I see one reason why their meeting is going smoothly is that they have him as the host and 4 co hosts. When you are the only one I see why I was struggling.

My setup for today viewing their meeting

20200331_200439.jpg

Edited by AH173

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

2 hours ago, AH173 said:

Thanks for that. I am tied in to my former avs overseers congregation and I see one reason why their meeting is going smoothly is that they have him as the host and 4 co hosts. When you are the only one I see why I was struggling.

My setup for today viewing their meeting

20200331_200439.jpg

Hi Ashley,

Do you know how they used the 4 co-hosts? Also, someone said that the co-hosts  can't answer. Is that correct?

The hosts and co-hosts use the applause icon to comment here. We've normally used 1 host and cohost.
I ran the AV just now and last Midweek and it went fine... but it's a good thing I didn't have it on Sunday because my internet disconnected twice during the meeting and I accidentally ate something that my IBD does not like. :shrugs:

7 hours ago, AH173 said:

I had the privilege from the cobe to be the Co host for zoom last night. 

It was a JOB! 

More intense than the audio board at the KH, more intense than queuing up the videos /images for jw library for monitors. 

I was drained completely. Even there was only the elders and servants commenting.

I need more prayer and study the system. 

It's a lot to do. 103 max connections with about 130-150 Attdance. My guess. 

What does a co-host do? Appreciate if you could tell us more. Thanks in advance.

We had our CO visit yesterday. It was a timely talk he gave and afterwards we were assigned into Breakout Rooms. That is for those who were willing. That is a great option. There were 105 in attendance. I didn't see how many left the Meeting but there were 13 Breakout Rooms. The host used the option Automatically so nobody could choose which group the would assigned to. The groups were about 4 / 5 persons. So nice to get to talk to them in small groups. The CO joined in as well. 

If you want to know how it works, here is a link:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206476313-Managing-Breakout-Rooms

14 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

What does a co-host do? Appreciate if you could tell us more. Thanks in advance.

We have assigned different tasks to the host and Co-hosts. One is handling the video's including the songs as well as the Pictures. That's the one with the highest/fastest Upload capacity. Another is opening and closing Mic's of those who were asked to comment and one is lowering hands. 

Zoom Phone dial in contacts...

Do I need “Zoom Phone “in order to use this feature...

I just want to assign names to the phone numbers that dial in .. 

It says on the instructions to go to 

Account Managment.. 

then 

Phone Dial-in contacts..

can’t find that option

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

1 hour ago, molnarj said:

We have assigned different tasks to the host and Co-hosts. One is handling the video's including the songs as well as the Pictures. That's the one with the highest/fastest Upload capacity. Another is opening and closing Mic's of those who were asked to comment and one is lowering hands. 

I would also recommend a pc with a quad-core cpu and 8gb of ram with a ssd if possible for videos. You can do it with less, but itll be butter smooth that way.

44 minutes ago, lord-360 said:

I would also recommend a pc with a quad-core cpu and 8gb of ram with a ssd if possible for videos. You can do it with less, but itll be butter smooth that way.

This is what I have and it works very well.I download videos with 480p but 720 also runs without problems.

The one who creates the meeting can open up as host. The host has full control of the 'back-end' settings. The host can create a co-host. Once again anyone anywhere on the meeting. They then have full control also of the back-end settings. Turn mics on or off. Turn video on or off. Select speaker (for main screen). Lower all hands. Adjust settings like, mute all when joining, block all video when joining.
If you have more than one, each could be assigned a task. When speaker asks a question, one could be assigned to (when name picked) to ummute Mic. (unblock video if desired.) Lower hand afterward. Lower all hands during para reading.
Another co-host could be assigned to screen share the song and any media.
This allows the speaker to just concentrate on the material (much like at the hall), and leave all the 'behind the scenes' tech details to the a/v support brother(s).
I think this is the spirit of paragraphs #11 - 14 of the Zoom instructions available to most congregations. (and I think posted at #115).
It may take some time to train and get enough willing ones up to speed, but well worth it.

Old (Downunder) Tone

On 3/25/2020 at 1:07 AM, jwhess said:

I got the last one yesterday at noon.  I had seen the better logitec model when I went in but I picked up some other supplies first and when I went back about 30 minutes later it was gone.  It works OK (my congregation secretary reminded me this doesn't have to be studio quality). I still have a "feedback" problem with the mic or its settings when I leave the computer audio on.  I am working on it.  Any suggestions?

May I know how you resolved this problem with the computer audio feeding back to the microphone? Thanks in advance.

I'm planning to buy a logitech webcam for use on my windows 10 PC to zoom.

I noticed on the comments that most turn off the video of all during the meeting (we don't) and seems good because it saves bandwidth and distractions

However the host uses the video to see who specifically wants to comment (the house raises hand but hen the host looks to see who specifically wants to comment)

How do you work with the comments?

How do you work with the comments?

We have video on at user discretion here.
My son's cong have video always off. (The thought is, they don't normally look at the commentor, so no need to see them.)
We use the 'raise' function (same as my sons cong)
Here the WT conductor is the 'host' and selects the commentor and unmutes them. (and if he forgets to mute - lol).
In my sons cong, the conductor calls the name, and the a/v support bro does the rest. No video is shown.

What someone posted above, is if you want to answer => do so by enabling the video. (The speaker 'gallery view' can show the videos all bubble to the top {ie hide non-video}, so he visually is quick to see who has their hand up - literally.)
This seems a good idea to me.
I notice young ones seem keen to comment if they see themselves. They may do so without, but they are taking to it like ducks to water!

Old (Downunder) Tone

3 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

We have video on at user discretion here.
My son's cong have video always off. (The thought is, they don't normally look at the commentor, so no need to see them.)
We use the 'raise' function (same as my sons cong)
Here the WT conductor is the 'host' and selects the commentor and unmutes them. (and if he forgets to mute - lol).
In my sons cong, the conductor calls the name, and the a/v support bro does the rest. No video is shown.

What someone posted above, is if you want to answer => do so by enabling the video. (The speaker 'gallery view' can show the videos all bubble to the top {ie hide non-video}, so he visually is quick to see who has their hand up emoji2772.png - literally.)
This seems a good idea to me.
I notice young ones seem keen to comment if they see themselves. They may do so without, but they are taking to it like ducks to water!

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

But if there is a family of 4 and the video is off how does the host know who wants to comment if using only the raise function and o video? Could be the son or the father...

But if there is a family of 4 and the video is off how does the host know who wants to comment if using only the raise function and o video? Could be the son or the father...
Correct. So they call the 'Family Smith', and then they have to identify themselves as to who they are: 'John here...' (with video off).
This needs to be refined as we have 3 families with the same Surname.
'John Smith's family... Joseph Smith Senior family... etc'

The other approach (turn video on when raising hand), it can remove the doubt. You can call the person by name. The gallery view would struggle after 50 screens are enabled, but that would be rare I expect.

Old (Downunder) Tone

4 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Correct. So they call the 'Family Smith', and then they have to identify themselves as to who they are: 'John here...' (with video off).
This needs to be refined as we have 3 families with the same Surname.
'John Smith's family... Joseph Smith Senior family... etc'

The other approach (turn video on when raising hand), it can remove the doubt. You can call the person by name. The gallery view would struggle after 50 screens are enabled, but that would be rare I expect.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

well we have all videos turned on all the time. only mics muted

But saying the family name shouldn't work... say there are 3 famillyies raising hand? are the 3 going to speak their names at the same time? The host should know beforehand if its a child wanting to comment or an adult for example. with the videos off that's not possible

Edited by jayrtom