JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

21 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Speaking from experience, (Our Sunday meeting just ended and the song was too broken up to sing)

I am pretty sure the problem is some homes have two or more devices and they all have their sound 

volume turned up and all their mic's on.   The reason I believe this is, as people joined the meeting today,

the elder in charge of invitations and all the tech' stuff advised them to only have ONE mic' and ONE device's

sound on, or there would be feedback.   The sound broke up every time someone joined who hadn't received

the one mic' one device sound on message.

Well, one couple tuned in about two seconds before the meeting started so they didn't get the message

and they must have had two devices on with two sound volumes and two mic's because, immediately after

they joined the meeting, our sound started to break up.  The music and lyrics didn't match up and it was

unsing-ible.

Just sayin...

Our brother is trying to screen share the song and lyrics and the quality is poor

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

There seems to be confusion or lack of understanding how this zoom thingy works or needs to be hosted. Zoom is cloud based so host and client will connect to Zoom's cloud service. The host exchanges data packets with the Zoom cloud service, so if the host's internet connection is not fast that could post a problem. Likewise id the client's internet service is poor then he will sound broken up.

Second the PC, the software as well as the camera running on the host's device are also contributing to a smooth experience. Video is processed frame by frame so if you do 30 frames per second then the device's CPU has to process 30 frames every second, added to that is the audio. So if your host device lacks horsepower then you have a degraded experience.

Finally whoever is the person running the hosting also has to be knowledgeable. When starting the meeting he can disable all videos and mute all mikes, job done. But he also has to be aware of what other software is running in the background on his hosting device as that also effects the efficient hosting of a meeting.

Hopefully this will drag some who have been resistant to learning the workings of computers or portable devices into the 21st century. On a side benefit studies have shown that learning new things will slow down the onset of Alzheimer 😀

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

Public talk was fine. WT was a little disjointed because some have poor internet connections.  Also the brother's that had hot mics for reading and moderating kept taking focus every time they burped. Sent my group overseer this link https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360000510003

On 3/20/2020 at 6:05 AM, Foxes53 said:

I've setup Zoom on my desktop computer but it appears my computer has no built in mike. I guess I'll have to look at using mt smartphone. Any other suggestions would be welcome. 

My all in one Dell has a webcam but it wasn't working to my liking and I had problems trying to update the drivers so I went to Walmart and purchased this Logitech C 270, not expensive and had good reviews, only $30, set up was easy ( USB port) and video/audio was very good .It was nice sitting in front of a larger and stable screen vs holding or propping up a phone or tablet ( 2 of us)

2020-03-22_19h56_37.png

I'd recommend at least getting a step up from the C270. Unfortunately most all logitech webcams are now sold out everywhere... sigh.

Even if the host has good internet, and if everyone else is muted, the songs and videos will be choppy and sound poorly. Zoom limits quality quite a lot.

We had a great meeting via Zoom.

Started the meeting 1 hr beforehand and afterwards.  Would spotlight different participants every 15- 20 seconds.

Once in awhile I shared attached image so the friends would know to turn off their videos.

Once the meeting began everyone was muted and unmuted seconds before their turn to comment.

Videos were downloaded at the lowest resolution.

Used spotlight for everyone who commented (preassigned).  

Still a few things and kinks to work on.

ED30F5C8-1E95-4B09-8979-3F27A8C9E564.jpeg

7 hours ago, Myew said:

I'd recommend at least getting a step up from the C270. Unfortunately most all logitech webcams are now sold out everywhere... sigh.

Even if the host has good internet, and if everyone else is muted, the songs and videos will be choppy and sound poorly. Zoom limits quality quite a lot.

I got the last one Walmart had and had to go to the next city to pick it up, yes, it seems all of the stay at home workers and schooling made the webcam a very popular item!

To all who don't have a webcam or their camera has poor quality, and you have a spare android phone at home, you could use your phone's camera as a webcam.

All you need is to install this program both on your pc and on your android phone

PC Client https://www.dev47apps.com/

Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dev47apps.droidcam

Both your phone and pc need to be on the same network, and you will be able to stream the camera back to your pc, which you can then use as a camera input for skype or zoom.

When I gave my comment during the WT study yesterday on Zoom I did not see myself on the main screen but I believe my comment was heard.

On my main screen the WT conductor's picture stayed there during the time I was commenting.

Is that normal and did my picture actually show on the main screen of the others who were watching?

On 3/20/2020 at 12:18 AM, Old said:

Anyone have Zoom experience with a large audience, congregation 180, say 70 connections?

Hi, I use Zoom for business, I joined 189 connections without problema.

With PRO lic. you can connect upto 100 connection 

When I gave my comment during the WT study yesterday on Zoom I did not see myself on the main screen but I believe my comment was heard.  

On my main screen the WT conductor's picture stayed there during the time I was commenting.

Is that normal and did my picture actually show on the main screen of the others who were watching?

This is regulated by the 'controller'. One or two can be setup (anywhere in the group), who can control the video and microphones. So it is up to them. The can switch any video on or off, and if on a PC, they can 'video stream' any clips (eg demos) for the Mid-Week Meeting.Hope this helps

Some congs have a video 'on' before or after the meeting to 'catch-up' with one another...

Advanced controllers can also 'steam' the music straight from the PC. This bypasses the webcam microphone - which does not relay a quality sound.

Old Tone

1 hour ago, Rose Flower said:

Meeting organizer (host or cohost) probably had the conductors video spotlighted.  

11 hours ago, And_Ray said:

To all who don't have a webcam or their camera has poor quality, and you have a spare android phone at home, you could use your phone's camera as a webcam.

All you need is to install this program both on your pc and on your android phone

PC Client https://www.dev47apps.com/

Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dev47apps.droidcam

Both your phone and pc need to be on the same network, and you will be able to stream the camera back to your pc, which you can then use as a camera input for skype or zoom.

Instead of duct taping the phone to your computer Amazon sells this holder! 😁

2020-03-23_19h02_32.png

In this document Zoom Online Videoconferencing and Meetings form zoominst-E,  #11 says:

11. Attendance: The coordinator of the body of elders may determine the most practical 
way of taking a count of all those in attendance at the meeting.

How is your congregation taking a count of all in attendance?

I am looking for the easiest way.  I have seen suggestions for the users to send their attendance via chat.

But I find that some forget to do so 😔

zoominst-E.pdf

Edited by luisenriquereyes

20 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

How is your congregation taking a count of all in attendance?

Here, each group elders simply count the number of publishers who have joined in each of their group, and it is reported to the secretary.

Using chat or simply counting the number of “participants” could work, but as long as it’s ensured that only person is connected with one device at a time, which is not the case for our congregation. If more than two individuals are watching meeting through one device, then the number of “participants” in the list is wrong.

On 3/20/2020 at 12:18 AM, Old said:

Anyone have Zoom experience with a large audience, congregation 180, say 70 connections?

With such a big audience I would use the disabled-cam-and-mic method. Only the brother who is speaking, or those who want to comment, have their cameras working. That saves a huge amount of bandwidth.

The brother hosting the meeting can automatically disable all cams and mics when they join.

John mentioned that that purpose of these meetings is to sea the friends. We solve that by leaving the session open a good time after the meeting.

2 hours ago, dilip kumar said:
Many in India are using zoom but my elder is insisting on skype.

Can you pls tell what is the benefit of using zoom than skype.?

Ease of use. Free for 40 minutes (meeting can be done free in 2 sittings)
You can phone in or use phone, tablet or PC to watch. Anyone from any location can comment. Anyone from any location can be host. (control all video & mics). Host can appoint a co-host brother as a/v support. He can play video, pics or songs from his pc at home. Uses 'screen share', so reasonable quality. Society has 7 page instruction guide in your jw inbox called zoominst. (See comment #115) 

'Hand Raise' feature easy to use for comments. 
Most in cong now comfortable with it with very easy learning curve for old and young.

At the end of it all, just do what your elder directs... 

Old Tone

20200324_220103.jpg

Edited by Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz

Add pic

On 3/23/2020 at 6:58 AM, Lee49 said:

I got the last one Walmart had and had to go to the next city to pick it up, yes, it seems all of the stay at home workers and schooling made the webcam a very popular item!

I got the last one yesterday at noon.  I had seen the better logitec model when I went in but I picked up some other supplies first and when I went back about 30 minutes later it was gone.  It works OK (my congregation secretary reminded me this doesn't have to be studio quality). I still have a "feedback" problem with the mic or its settings when I leave the computer audio on.  I am working on it.  Any suggestions?

I'm assigned to manage the A/V on the Zoom meeting tonight, I'm hoping my ISP can handle it without disconnecting. My laptop seems to be more than powerful enough to handle encoding and decoding video streams without issue. It worked as a client on Sunday and we tested it a little last night and it seemed to work okay with my camera off and just one other person with video off while I was sharing... but Zoom recommends 1200 kbps down and up. I've got about 6000 kbps down with only 650 kbps up on my DSL/WiFi. My $15/mo cell phone LTE data is 12,500 kbps down and 9,500 kbps up, but only 2.7 available of 3 GB data cap... tempted to try tethering it to my laptop to host, as I just remembered that Mint Mobile is giving away unlimited free 3GB data extensions this month. That's 3x better upload than my old 100 Mbps down / 3 Mbps up internet, but I don't want it to get cut off in the middle of the meeting...