JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

7 hours ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

Is there a point in speaking through a high quality microphone when you have a meeting with brothers?
Does the zoom app somehow change the quality of the voice so you don’t have any control?

1. no

2. no

I bought a cheap HD102 Webcam (11 €) with  microphone (Win 10 Desktop).

My line is slow and i had no problems. Had 3 parts and played music and video.

All worked great.

Try it.

You can be host and attende at the same time.

Use Zoom free version on a Desktop and tie in with a mobile.

Edited by The German

On 3/18/2020 at 7:31 AM, Hugh O'D said:

Just got call from an Elder asking me to set up Zoom for my group

Me too. I've been assigned to be the A/v s brother to assist. The meeting is tomorrow and Monday.

I'm glad of this topic and the instructions I received.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

It's so cool ,we are zooming now!

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

21 minutes ago, AH173 said:

It's so cool ,we are zooming now!

83 participants, with about 110 individuals

Edited by AH173

update

Today was our first Zoom meeting as well. Local Brother gave the PT from his home - did an excellent job.

WT had a few funny moments (can you hear me now?) but ended close to on time and covered the lesson well.

Most of the Congregation was on Zoom with some watching on the KHConf app on their ROKU

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Has anyone monitored the mobile data usage on a zoom meeting?

I tried playing a video on my personal zoom host and sharing the CA talk.

The data usage on my mobile phone was around 80kB/sec. which worked out to about 300MB/hour or about 0.3GB/hour

I'm using the OPPO R15 phone which allowed data usage to be shown on the android status bar.

Some did a calculation, and it was thought to be around 1GB per hour.

I have since found there is a statistics tab in the Zoom settings. I hope this week to monitor these settings and make a guesstimate.

I do think that Zoom may also vary the data used based on bandwidth and camera resolution setting.

In settings there is also a 2nd screen option and also a camera HD option. I expect this would increase data usage.

Old (Downunder) Tone

16 hours ago, Qapla said:

Most of the Congregation was on Zoom with some watching on the KHConf app on their ROKU

John, If I watch using KHConf, I am just watching..no interaction right? If ones are commenting because they are using Zoom, can I hear their comments? 

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Elizabeth,

That is correct. You are only watching and cannot participate. Whatever is happening on ZOOM is being streamed to KHConf so you will see the meeting in whatever way your Congregation is using (gallery view, speaker view, shared screen - these are Zoom features) and you will be able to hear all the meeting, comments included. If you are watching on the ROKU app, you will see the same thing those on ZOOM see. If you are "listening" on the KHConf app, the same one used for meeting tie-in before we used ZOOM, you will be able to hear the meeting.

Of course, this is the case as long as your Congregation is tying ZOOM and KHC together - if they have not tied them together .... 

You should have a "token" for KHC from your Congregation if they are using ROKU and KHC .... if you do not have one (or don't know what I am talking about) ask your Elders.

Might also add, if someone in the same house is connected by ZOOM and you are watching by on KHC - they will not be at the same spot in the meeting. KHC tends to lag a little behind the ZOOM connection since it has to be streamed to KHC and then streamed to you.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I had a technical issue tonight during the meeting that I need help with.

I have been Zooming the meetings on my older laptop and I have a 10ft HDMI cable to hook the laptop to our TV. We are using the TV sound and everything has worked great for a couple of meetings. Tonight when the AV brother played the song videos the audio was dragging behind the video. The audio was very distorted and a few times the video would speed up then slow down. I contacted the AV brother and he said that no one else was having an issue. I tried to switch the audio from my TV back to the computer audio and the Zoom app locked up and closed the meeting.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

32 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I had a technical issue tonight during the meeting that I need help with.

I have been Zooming the meetings on my older laptop and I have a 10ft HDMI cable to hook the laptop to our TV. We are using the TV sound and everything has worked great for a couple of meetings. Tonight when the AV brother played the song videos the audio was dragging behind the video. The audio was very distorted and a few times the video would speed up then slow down. I contacted the AV brother and he said that no one else was having an issue. I tried to switch the audio from my TV back to the computer audio and the Zoom app locked up and closed the meeting.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

It is a sign of the last days.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.