JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

For our purposes Zoom is not more or less secure than any other option.

The main complaints about Zoom seemed to involve these things:

1. People entering and disrupting meetings (Zoombombing)
  2. No true end-to-end encryption
  3. Giving/selling our data to a 3rd party

To fix these problems:

1. It has been found that these disruptions have mostly occurred due to "user error" - not the Zoom software. Some of these user errors include
    1. Not using a password
    2. Posting Meeting ID and PW on social media
    3. Not using the waiting room
    4. There have not been any documented cases of actual hacking into Zoom meetings
  2. Is this something we really need with or meetings? Our meetings are open to the public
  3. We give our literature away and have a public website - Zoom is not interested in our meeting information ... it is not "private" information.

Rest assured, if Zoom begins to take a backseat to some of the other conferencing options, those apps will get the attention of those who think it is fun or challenging to hack/break/wonder into online meetings - and they will disrupt those meetings. 

NO software is "ununhackable" - those with time on their hands and the computer expertise will get in.

The Branch has given us direction on how to create and secure our meetings - let's trust the direction and quit worrying

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

Problem: For the singing the Host Brother likes to have everyone unmuted so we can all sing together.

When my cobe was the main host as I was observing / training he did this and it was not good/ dignified to have all unmuted while singing.

My suggestion: we mute all mics-including mine as host for past 2 or 3 meetings and no problems. It's not really a workable situation.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

32 minutes ago, AH173 said:

When my cobe was the main host as I was observing / training he did this and it was not good/ dignified to have all unmuted while singing.

My suggestion: we mute all mics-including mine as host for past 2 or 3 meetings and no problems. It's not really a workable situation.

TBH: My feelings exactly. I feel I'm trying to help make the unworkable workable so looking at what's can be done to lessen the problem.

It would probably work if everyone had 300 mb to 1 Gb per second internet. If no not really.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

58 minutes ago, AH173 said:

My advice is for every one to mute their mics and turn there volume high so they have something to accompany their voice. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

roblem: For the singing the Host Brother likes to have everyone unmuted so we can all sing together

Massive amount of feed back and lag time between high speed , medium speed , low speed connections ... can’t be done unless everyone wears headsets and has a good mic..

There has to be a break in the loop ... it is called the ears, mouth  ,brain ..  disconnection ..by using head phones to break the loop.

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

21 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

if the Host has the Video's at a lower quality would that give a smoother broadcast for the receivers?

No, video quality should have less bearing on the amount of data uploaded to Zoom because you're already streaming your entire desktop. Zoom does it's own downscaling, and 240p is already blurry, so it will look and sound awful. It should be the highest quality on the local machine, let the app handle the transmission.

Should I say to the Host to make sure to cut down on other programs that are running in the background? (If the answer to this is "Well, Duh!" please remember I'm not tech-lit).

That's not a bad idea, but more than that, cut down on other devices running in the background like phones, tablets, smart TV... turn them off restart them, reset your modem and router and computer an hour before you ever log into Zoom, give everything enough time to update.

I have heard a few people say that the music wasn't loud enough when I was streaming it. I'm not sure what to do about that except turn up my PC volume, but it's already loud in my headphones. Maybe they should just turn it up according to their needs.

Having everyone unmuted while singing is not a problem that can or should be fixed on Zoom. That's user error.

There's a nice new video from the branch from your servants jw.org login under event media. I was doing some of the things that they were showing. 

Please, help.

A sister here is using zoom. She connects to the meeting, she sees everyone, but she can't hear anything, and we cannot hear anything from her. I have tried all I can from telling her to ensure that her audio is enabled to telling her to enable the upper left speaker icon. Yet what I see on her screen is: 'so and so is connecting, but she can't hear you yet'.

What will I do?

Sent from my TECNO LC6 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, TRUTH04 said:

Please, help.

A sister here is using zoom. She connects to the meeting, she sees everyone, but she can't hear anything, and we cannot hear anything from her. I have tried all I can from telling her to ensure that her audio is enabled to telling her to enable the upper left speaker icon. Yet what I see on her screen is: 'so and so is connecting, but she can't hear you yet'.

What will I do?

Tell us at least a very small minimum of the system data.

Then we don't need to maneuver in the dark

The mic mute/unmute button is bottom left on Android and Windows.
She may have to tap the screen for the task bar to pop up.
There is also 1 step that flashers up just as it connects for the first time. It says connect yo to Device audio. She must be sure to select this.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Tell us at least a very small minimum of the system data.
Then we don't need to maneuver in the dark
Tecno Pouvoir 2 smart phone.

The mic mute/unmute button is bottom left on Android and Windows.
She may have to tap the screen for the task bar to pop up.
There is also 1 step that flashers up just as it connects for the first time. It says connect yo to Device audio. She must be sure to select this.

Old (Downunder) Tone

It's a smartphone

Once you've done that, you can do the following:

Install free "Android Assistant" from AAMobile. It looks like 2 gears.

Open: tools

Open: Volume settings

Set all settings to 100%.

Maybe media volume is at 0.

After you've done that, watch the following movie:

OnlyM used to work well, but I heard the latest JWL update has put it out of sorts.
The MS Photo player works OK. Takes 3 steps (on a dual screen laptop) to get it going.
I was told PowerPoint works ok too, but I have not tried it since the last update.

Old (Downunder) Tone

12 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

OnlyM used to work well, but I heard the latest JWL update has put it out of sorts.
The MS Photo player works OK. Takes 3 steps (on a dual screen laptop) to get it going.
I was told PowerPoint works ok too, but I have not tried it since the last update.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Thanks my brother. I will try powerpoint, since I have one screen to work with (on a laptop).  

Normally I use OnlyM, I haven't heard anything about it being broken yet. One alternative could be IrfanView, I used that during the memorial after I changed a couple of settings.
I'm assigned to the A/V during our assembly stream tomorrow but I'm not quite sure that I have to do anything...?

Please let us know how it turns out. We like to learn from your experience.
May I suggest to practice your exit routine from the Shared Screen.
On my PC (dual screen) if I don't fo it right, my desktop flashes up for everyone to see. So keep your PC Desktop tidy. I set up practice meeting with my wife. She watched her screen to see what actually goes out. I found what I see is very different to what goes out. And it took me some time to find the red dot to 'Exit Screen-share'

Old (Downunder) Tone

I used only m for our local memorial talk and past oclamm part about encouraging ones to come back. It worked excellent and had no problems. I have 3 screens to work with.

I will be playing the assembly morning program video on my second screen in VLC. I will have it up fullscreen and share VLC (not my desktop) when ready to start it. Time to turn off the PC and tablet etc now and switch my phone to data only so nothing else interferes with the router...

Edit: Oh, after the middle song, I'll have to pause it, stop sharing, and stop / restart KHConf through the live streaming function so that it doesn't go over the 2h 10m limit. And we're going to have a baptism, so after the baptism talk is introduced, I cut out sharing, spotlight our local speaker, then skip ahead to the final song and wait. Apparently we're going to have a local prayer too...? not sure yet where that goes in.

Edited by Myew

RE: Zoom Meetings.

Here some have wrong email address or have difficulty writing the number sequences over the phone. One family asserts that they have KHconf because they were unable to use Zoom and be particpants.

How does your BOE ensure that everyone has the Zoom meeting number and password? 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Our cobe has delegated that to all in their group overseer/servant's group to ensure that all have the necessary info wheter it's the phone or mobile device/pc.

In our case delegation seems to work.