JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

Regarding audio problems those might face during Zoom congregation meetings. I had this problem early on when our congregation started using Zoom. The audio would be really choppy whenever the video brother shared screen to play a video. I found out it was on my end.

When I tested my internet speeds, I saw that I was getting nowhere near the internet speed I was supposed to be getting (50 Mbps down). Part of the reason is the ISP Comcast modem router is upstairs (I would like to have it downstairs but there are reasons it has to stay up there). The downstairs computers/devices needs to connect through a wireless extender that connects to the router networks upstairs.

I connected a long enough Ethernet cord from my desktop to the extender in the hallway. I did another internet speed test. Speeds were much higher now (140 Mbps down). At the midweek meeting when the song video played through Zoom screen share, the audio was clear! No more chops! Being connected directly to the extender with an Ethernet cable gives me clear audio and a stable connection.

16 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

To find out what version you are running, you will find it on the 'Statistics' tab.

(Latest version 5.0.2 went live 12 May 2020)

Another way to check for those that are registered users is to click on the profile button at the upper right corner of the main Zoom window and click Check for Updates. And there, you'll be given the option to update to the latest version.

When I did this for the first time a few weeks ago, I saw I was 2 updates behind (4.0). No prompts occurred. It might be that they just prompt important updates.

Here's what it says regarding the latest version on the release notes page.

Important Notice: Please begin updating all your clients to Zoom 5.0 now. After May 30, 2020, all Zoom clients on older versions will receive a forced upgrade when trying to join meetings as GCM Encryption will be fully enabled across the Zoom platform. Click here for more information.

I'm going to suggest that an announcement is made at the upcoming congregation meeting for those that might not have the best internet speed so that they may have plenty of time to get the update instead of updating at the time of the meeting.

4 hours ago, TylerD said:

Regarding audio problems those might face during Zoom congregation meetings. I had this problem early on when our congregation started using Zoom. The audio would be really choppy whenever the video brother shared screen to play a video. I found out it was on my end.

When I tested my internet speeds, I saw that I was getting nowhere near the internet speed I was supposed to be getting (50 Mbps down). Part of the reason is the ISP Comcast modem router is upstairs (I would like to have it downstairs but there are reasons it has to stay up there). The downstairs computers/devices needs to connect through a wireless extender that connects to the router networks upstairs.

I connected a long enough Ethernet cord from my desktop to the extender in the hallway. I did another internet speed test. Speeds were much higher now (140 Mbps down). At the midweek meeting when the song video played through Zoom screen share, the audio was clear! No more chops! Being connected directly to the extender with an Ethernet cable gives me clear audio and a stable connection.

It's similar here. Some have problems with the videos.

This is due to the WiFi connection.

I use WLAN plus Powerline via the mains and there is always a stable connection.

6 hours ago, For Hire 24 said:

I certainly do, Nathan and Claire are in Glasgow Craigton Congregation, and Nathan’s mum and dad are in Girvan Cong,  I pioneered with his dad, Eric for a few years at Rothesay Cong on the Isle of Bute , there were 7 publishers in that Cong when we were there , I understand that Nathan gave a public talk to a German Cong recently using Zoom ..😃mall w

Ay. Small world!

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

2 minutes ago, Lieblingskind said:

Anybody have fan issues coming out of their laptop? It causes a background noise to the others.

Yes, this is normal after a while as the device gets older.

Du kannst es mit Pressluft in der Dose versuchen. Gibt es bei Ebay.

Danke! Ja mein Mann hat etwas in Linux gemacht, und jetzt geht das. Ich dachte, zwischendurch schreibe ich hier im Forum. :) Dienst heute war sehr schwierig mit meinem Laptop. Erstmal könnten die anderen mich kaum hören, und dann kommt eine Geräusche in Hintergrund, dann 1/2 Stunde schon vorbei. lol

Also, "neue" alte Laptop benutzt ich jetzt, und ich hoffe das später in der Versammlung läuft alles mit dem Laptop besser.

Schönen Tag noch und danke nochmal für deine Antwort.

- Read the Bible daily 

Thanks to@pholmes38 for this info:

"In large parts of UK today, Zoom is not working, so no meeting. 

We have logged onto JWStream"

https://www.express.co.uk/life...est-audio-video-problems-today

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/11232380/zoom-down-not-working-offline-cant-connect/
Old (Downunder) Tone

ZoomUK.jpg

Edited by Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz

Add pic

Zoom reports it is 'operational'
The recent outage is now reported as a 'Past Incident'

Past Incidents
May 17, 2020
Reports of Issues with Meetings and Webinars
Resolved - Our team has resolved the issue impacting some Zoom Meetings and Zoom Video Webinars.
May 17, 09:15 PDT
Monitoring - Zoom users impacted by this issue should now be able to host, join, and participate in Zoom Meetings and Zoom Video Webinars if they restart their sessions. We will continue to assess this matter that impacted a subset of our users and monitor to ensure no further operational impact.
May 17, 08:39 PDT

If you wish to check if Zoom is wotking:

Please visit the Zoom Service Status ( http://status.zoom.us) for current status and maintenance periods for all Zoom services.

Old (Downunder) Tone

ZoomOK.jpg

Edited by Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz

Add pic

Fortunately for my congregation, our weekend meeting is at 4:00 PM EDT. When I first heard of this incident, I thought it would be best to have a backup plan in case Zoom was still down by the time 4:00 came.

It is true the group overseers can send out JW Steam invitations to view a recorded meeting, but there might be some that might have trouble streaming it. Perhaps their internet is not fast, which would result in the video loading slowly.

The plan I thought of was to have the chairman and the public talk speaker join my Skype call and have it streamed to KHCONF using OBS. Everyone could listen in with the phone number/app. Then I could play the JW Stream Watchtower study portion. At least I have this backup plan in case Zoom is ever down for our meeting.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:51 AM, Lieblingskind said:

Anybody have fan issues coming out of their laptop? It causes a background noise to the others.

Sometimes a can or air will clean out the dust - which is the largest contributor to the noise- 

other times if it’s still there ....get a tech to open it up and clean your fan

this who are technically inclined can usually watch a YouTube video and follow it

do not try ....it if your not comfortable with lots of very small screws

and some Products like Apple laptops may have sealed part  the system .... especially if it’s newer than 2012 Apple laptop

of yoUneed some basic help ... post a picture here and maybe we can tell you where to use the ‘can of air’ to help

Thanks for the offer, Darin! The problem has been resolved, but a good dust clean-out is always good!

My husband works self-employed as a dr. of electrical design engineering, so if need be, he can always take the laptop apart. He already taken many of my devices and phones apart. I keep him busy. lol

- Read the Bible daily 

One thing to be careful of with a "can of air" ... don't hold the nozzle/hose of the can too close to what you are cleaning if moisture could cause damage since the very cold air carries and/or condenses moisture on anything blasted at point-blank range.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Zoom 5.03 recently came out. Here is one of the changes to existing features.

Require consent if the host mutes and then unmutes a participant
If the host mutes and then unmutes a participant individually, the participant will now receive a prompt, asking them to consent to be unmuted.

This will take effect for everyone when they get the latest update.

At the MWM, an announcement was made during the opening comments to be alert to this change and to make sure to update their client to the latest update (best way to do this for those with computers is by going to the website zoom.us/download and clicking Download on Zoom Client for Meetings)

When I was assisting with unmuting, I could tell which were on the old version and which were on the new version (probably using an Android or iOS that usually does automatic updates). Those on the old version when unmuting someone would have the button that says, "Unmute". Those on the new version when unmuting someone would have the button that says, "Ask to Unmute".

Edited by TylerD

11 hours ago, TylerD said:

Those on the new version when unmuting someone would have the button that says, "Ask to Unmute".

I don't think this is going to have any impact on our congregation. If someone has a comment to make, that publisher has to unmute him/herself. The host doesn't unmute anyone.

7 hours ago, Sheep said:

I don't think this is going to have any impact on our congregation. If someone has a comment to make, that publisher has to unmute him/herself. The host doesn't unmute anyone.

It will impact our meetings. The current arrangement is for a brother to be co-host and he mutes and unmutes all of the participants.

Currently if someone is unmuted before the meeting begins the co-host is able to mute and unmute them at any time, which works out well for those that are sitting away from their device. If someone is already muted when the meeting begins and the co-hosts mutes everyone, then the participant has to acknowledge the message when they want to participate and the co-host tries to unmute them. That has caused confusion and delays.

The current update will exasperate (EDIT: exacerbate) that issue under our current arrangement. 

Edited by Bro Richard
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D