JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom update 5.2 out now. Extra virtual background add-ons ie Pirate hat and eye patch. Not productive for meetings. Hopefully, some technical improvements and bug fixes as well.

Old (Downunder) Tone

I wonder if Zoom will at some point in the future be replaced by a JW-made online conference app?

Because Zoom is partly supported by China money and we know China (No online privacy)

And meeting online through this kind of app might jeopardize our safety during or near GT.

ย 

• 2 weeks later...

Zoom 5.2.1 released Monday (Released on iOS today). This includes a new enhanced feature.ย 

Allow Host to unmute participants using pre-approved consent - Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android
The host can schedule meetings and webinars with Request permission to Unmute Participants, which allows participants to pre-approve the hostโ€™s ability to unmute them as needed when joining a meeting. This pre-approval will remain in place for all meetings with this host, and can be revoked by the participant at any time.

This will be helpful if your congregation uses brothers to unmute microphones (or with those that need assistance) (Allow Participants to Unmute themselves setting disabled during meetings). I tested this out today with other devices that I have. It works! Before the person enters the meeting, it will ask if the host can unmute them for all meetings scheduled by Host Name. If they press Allow, then the hosts can unmute them for all meetings when needed.

ย 

To use this new feature, you will need to enable it in the congregation Zoom account settings. Go to In Meeting (Advanced) and the setting is at the bottom of that section, right below Custom Live Streaming Service. Once you enable it there, go to Meetings (all the way to the top and on the left side). Click on your congregation meeting and click Edit this Meeting. Scroll down to meeting options and enable Request permission to unmute participants.

ย 

Tablets/phones will get this update because they usually update automatically. PCs have to manually get the update. It might be good to have it mentioned in a congregation email or meeting to update to the latest version. For PCs, go to zoom.us/download and click Download on Zoom Client for Meetings (First one).

ย 

Looking forward to using this new feature tonight! This will definitely speed up commenting (for those that have the latest version).

Edited by TylerD

Got the update .... and found something new!

ย 

With the last update they added "filters" ๐Ÿ˜ทย ๐Ÿค“ย ๐Ÿ˜Žย but I could not use them since my PC did not have the proper CPU

ย 

Well -

ย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย :bouncing:ย 

ย :bouncing:ย  ย ย I now have them!ย  ย :bouncing:ย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย :bouncing:ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

And I am still using the same PC - they changed things not me :thumbsup:ย 

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

ZOOM ISSUE - Rather than start a new thread,ย  I think this issue fits under this topic.ย  Most of our Hosts uses the APP to start the meetings.ย  Some prefer online โ€ฆ going through the Zoom website.ย ย  Either way has worked well โ€ฆ until now.ย ย ย  The congregation has 3 scheduled reoccurring meetings.ย  the 2 congregation meetings and one for the congregationย meetings for service.ย ย Whoever is Host uses the congregationย account and logs in and starts the meeting.ย  Now this issue:ย  All 3 meetings show in the APPย โ€ฆ when the exact same log inย password into the exactย same account online, only 2 of the 3 meetings show.ย  The brother does even see the meeting is he goes online โ€ฆ so, of course, he cannot start the meeting.ย  The obvious fix is:ย  Use the app.ย  But WHY would it be different onlineย then on the app?ย 

I hear Zoom have been having some issues this week. They may have changed some settings in different platforms.

If you go to their website, you can get an update and report on these issues.

Try and update all your devices with the latest releases.

(Predominantly US schools students were affected.)

ย 

Old (Downunder) Tone

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

6 hours ago, Mike said:

ZOOM ISSUE - Rather than start a new thread,ย  I think this issue fits under this topic.ย  Most of our Hosts uses the APP to start the meetings.ย  Some prefer online โ€ฆ going through the Zoom website.ย ย  Either way has worked well โ€ฆ until now.ย ย ย  The congregation has 3 scheduled reoccurring meetings.ย  the 2 congregation meetings and one for the congregationย meetings for service.ย ย Whoever is Host uses the congregationย account and logs in and starts the meeting.ย  Now this issue:ย  All 3 meetings show in the APPย โ€ฆ when the exact same log inย password into the exactย same account online, only 2 of the 3 meetings show.ย  The brother does even see the meeting is he goes online โ€ฆ so, of course, he cannot start the meeting.ย  The obvious fix is:ย  Use the app.ย  But WHY would it be different onlineย then on the app?ย 

Looks like that issue was fixed on Monday.

ย 

image.png.cd18555dfca857ea14c41ef2389de9a4.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 4:36 PM, Qapla said:

Is there a way to configure your camera in Zoom?

ย 

I am using a web cam

I found out that I have awesome optics using the camera I used for recording convention years ago. Canon Vixia HF R62 1080p hd cam using Elgato 4k cam link usb adapter.

ย 

On 3/27/2020 at 8:25 PM, VisualizeUrParadise said:

So I think the answer is the better the camera and the mic, the better the sound and visuals the other parties will be receiving..ย 

Yes

ย 

On 3/31/2020 at 8:07 PM, AH173 said:

Thanks for that. I am tied in to my former avs overseers congregation and I see one reason why their meeting is going smoothly is that they have him as the host and 4 co hosts. When you are the only one I see why I was struggling.

ย 

My setup for today viewing their meeting

ย 

20200331_200439.jpg

Performed a slight upgrade to my setup a little more than a month ago.

ย 

image.thumb.png.b49bbbb07d9bea7f0da400928f189b2a.png

"there was Jehovahโ€™s word for him, and it went on to say to him: โ€œWhat is your business here, Eยทlijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: โ€œI have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 2 weeks later...

fun things with zoom
programs to use with zoomย 
Obs with pluginย  virtual cam
Snap camera
voice meter banana virtual kabelsย 
one great snap camera filter is nobeard get a clean shaven face even if you have a beardย 
mix video with camera use obs with virual camย  select obs virtual cam in zoomย  have the sound set up with banana .
i used the setup with 3 cameras for a wedding live in zoomย  on cam had pan tilt remote control.ย 

ย 

Current Release

September 21, 2020 versionย 5.3.0 (52651.0920)
New and enhanced features

• General features
    • Calendar Integration sync improvementย 
      Deleting a meeting in the desktop client will now delete the calendar event on the synced calendar, if write permission is given.
    • Enhanced Edit Country interface when schedulingย 
      Adjusting the dial-in countries included in a meetingโ€™s invite when scheduling is now enhanced to make adding, removing and reordering countries easier.
    • Enhanced integration with Outlook clientย 
      The Zoom desktop client integration with the Outlook client now provides the option to sync your Zoom status and profile picture to Outlook.
    • Studio Effectsย 
      Users can now apply eyebrows, mustache and beard, and lip color filters as part of their video appearance. This feature is currently in beta.
    • Enhanced scheduling with default settings
      Scheduling a new meeting will always check the userโ€™s web settings and use those as the default. Any changes from the default will be saved for that meeting only.
    • Additional MSI/GPO Optionsย 
      • Spotlight Self when speakingย - zPolicy_EnableSpotlightSelf
      • Display up to 49 participants per screen in Gallery Viewย - zPolicy_Enable49Video
      • Remind me () minutes before my upcoming meetingsย - zPolicy_EnableRemindMeetingTime
      • Default video rendering methodย 
        zPolicy_VideoRenderMethod
  • Meeting/webinar features
    • Roll-up Closed Captioning
      Closed captioning will now roll up as new captions are added. Users can also move through captioning by dragging the text.
    • Virtual Background not compatible explanationย 
      When you are unable to use the virtual background feature, the desktop client will provide clarification, for example, the i7-5500U processor is not currently compatible with this feature.
  • Meeting features
    • Self-select Breakout Roomย 
      The host can now create breakout rooms with the option for participants to self-select which breakout room they would like to join. If enabled, participants can move freely between breakout rooms, without needing the hostโ€™s help.ย Both the meeting host and participants need to be on Client 5.3.0 or later to self-select Breakout Rooms.ย 
    • Share files with Microsoft SharePoint
      Attendees can now share files from SharePoint directly through in-meeting chat.
  • Chat features
    • Hide chat bots in IM list
      Users can hide chat bots deployed by their admin they do not have use for.
    • Right-click menu for links in IM chat
      Right-clicking a link will now display a menu, providing options to copy or open the link.
    • Improved image preview and image viewer
      Images sent in IM chat integrate better with sent text, and images will open within the Zoom desktop clientโ€™s new image viewer.
    • Enhanced Link Preview
      Zoom meeting links will now show more details, such as meeting name, ID, start time, Join button, and meeting duration when done.
    • Enhanced Search
      Desktop users can filter by Order, Sent by, and date filters for file search. Mobile users can filter by Order for file search. All image search results will display as thumbnail previews. Channel and contact results will also be split into their own categories. Users can also clear the list of recent searches.ย 
    • Mark as Unread for images and filesย 
      Transferred files and images can also be marked as unread.ย 
    • Resolved Issues

• Resolved issue with Breakout rooms not following main sessionโ€™s settings/restrictionsย 
    • Resolved issue with some webinar chats not being saved
    • Resolved an issue where some users joined a meeting with the previously signed-in accountโ€™s profile picture
    • Resolved an issue with keyboard focus shifting away from CC input when host performs certain actions
    • Resolved issue with chat messages being copyable in HIPAA compliant meetings
    • Resolved issue with voicemails not able to be retrieved on desktop client
    • Resolved issue when updating client 5.0 via MSI, but Zoom is defaulting to previous versionย 
    • Resolved issue with View More Settings option in client not routing to customerโ€™s vanity page, if logged in via SSOย 
    • Resolved issue with untrusted security warnings not providing more details
    • Minor bug fixes

Edited by molnarj

We were having some fun with the new features on the Zoom Chat tonight

ย 

ย 

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

In our zoom meeting tonight, I noticed the use of the "Spotlight Multiple speakers" feature to show the 2 speakers in the zoom "Active speakers view" for a field service presentation. Seems good to be able to see both speakers simultaneously in zoom.

ย 

Does anyone know when this feature was made available in zoom?

ย 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653-Spotlight-Video

ย 

ย