JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is the Organization making there own Zoom program

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1344 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I don't know anything about this, so what I'm saying is just my opinion.

I don't see likely that the organization develops such a program. A Zoom-like program is something huge that would require hundreds of developers working fulltime. There are almost infinite combinations of hardware, operating systems and programs, and it would require a huge customer service department to take care of all the issues. I don't think it's practical to reinvent the wheel when Zoom works fine and is quite cheap.

Someone here commented, but as hearsay, not as something certain, that the organization was working on a videoconference tool to make communication easier between workers from different branches. If that is true, that could be the origin of that rumour. But it's a completely different context. The brothers who work at the branch, RTOs and similar, they all have similar devices with the same operating system and similar hardware and software configuration.

I haven't heard anything about every Zoom session having a cost (unless some are calling in by phone using collect calls). In some countries, every congregation pays for its Zoom license, and it costs 15 euro (some $17) monthly. In others, the branch purchased wholesale licenses which are obviously cheaper. Still in some countries where the congregations cannot afford to pay $15 a month they are using the free version. When it closes after 40 minutes they all connect again and the meeting goes on. Any development of a similar tool will cost a lot more.

8 hours ago, Buddy said:

They would save a lot of money. Don’t they spend something like $20 dollars a shot for one Zoom session

I don't think that's correct. I have a personal subscription and it's about $15/month no matter how many times or how long I use it. I'd imagine the Branches have corporate accounts at a greater discount and that contributions from the congregations cover those costs.  Most don't have heavy electric or water bills and the like from the Hall anymore- Zoom is a great deal with loads of help desk guys! 😊

Currently Zoom is being used by the Congregations to hold meetings AND publishers are using it to conduct studies, make RV's and to associate with one another.

If the Organization were to develop a "Zoom like" app, would it only be available for meetings? Would we be allowed to use it for the ministry? What about association? The more ways it is used the more chances it could be misused. 

So, even IF they did develop a program for meetings - we would still need a commercial app like Zoom for use in our personal life. I'm not sure the FDS would spend the time and resources to develop an app with such "limited" uses when there is a viable app already in use that is fairly inexpensive to use.

Years ago the US Branch bought a fleet of semi trucks and trailers to haul the literature from NY (where it is printed) to distribution points all over the US. The program was nice and we enjoyed meeting the brothers who drove the trucks when they brought the literature to the drop location in our area. However, long before the literature went digital this program was discontinued and the Branch went back to using commercial shippers - seems it wasn't better to "reinvent the wheel".

I know the Branch had been working on an "in house" communication app that was cross-platform (it was shown to me a couple years ago) but I don't think it was designed for "video conference", especially on a congregation scale. I also know many of those in our LDC and Disaster Relief simply use WhatsApp.

Is it possible the organization could develop their own "Zoom", sure - should we hold our breath waiting for it .............

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

Might be announced at the annual meeting. But as an organisation I don’t see ourselves using as much as JW library app. The video conferencing app could be used during the Great Tribulation.

I can see a video conference software being useful at the meetings the same way KHConf and other phone tie-in services are used now.  So many of the shut-in friends are now seeing their congregations and eve participating.  I don't see that going away once we return to the Kingdom Halls.  Just my speculation, though.

19 hours ago, Shawnster said:

I would have said the same thing about JW Broadcasting and the JW Library app.  :whistling:

I think that's a little different because JWB is exclusive to our content and give us total control over it, just like having our own website does. There was a need for JWB. There is really no need for a JW version of Zoom. Private Zoom accounts give us the exclusivity, security, and privacy we need for a monthly fee. 

And I think Zoom will be for the short term which basically makes developing our own Zoom like application a waste of time and money. 

Edited by Bob

I would have said the same thing about JW Broadcasting and the JW Library app.  :whistling:

:lol: I see a big difference there. JW Library is not reinventing the wheel. There was nothing like it. If the GB was planning to switch from paper to digital, they had to develop something so that going digital was easy and practical. Non-techies would never learn to download PDF publications from JW.org then load them onto Moon Reader or whatever software you use in your device. If they wanted to get rid of most paper, they needed something like JW Library.

On the other hand, Zoom does everything we need. (There were several options that might have worked well, but Zoom seemed to be the most convenient at the time. That might change at any moment.)

I can see a video conference software being useful at the meetings the same way KHConf and other phone tie-in services are used now.  So many of the shut-in friends are now seeing their congregations and eve participating.  I don't see that going away once we return to the Kingdom Halls.  Just my speculation, though.

This is a good comparison. As far as I know, KHConf was not developed by the organization, was it? I think it was made by some friends, then Bethel adopted it as "official". I too think we will keep a way to participate at the meeting remotely even when we meet at the KH again. But there's no reason why it can't be using Zoom. :)

KHConf was started by a Brother. We were an early Congregation in using their service and I spoke to him several times when the system was new. He told me that he started this to help his Congregation and a few around him asked if they could use it too. It was not his intent to create a worldwide company.

As I understand it, last year the Organization acquired KHConf so it now belongs to us. It was not adopted as "official" anymore than "MyMeetings" was "official" before we acquired KHConf. Now that we own it, yes, it's "official"

JWL was not originally written privately and then acquired by the Branch - it was designed from the ground up specifically for and by us.

Since Zoom was not started by a JW and is not "for sale", I doubt the Branch would try to acquire it. Likewise, since we have a fully functional app that serves our needs and is very affordable - there is no real "need" for us to develop our own.

We will see what happens ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

This reminds me. Since we all know how to use Zoom, we can basically kiss the cancelling of meeting good bye due to weather, huh? If a massive snow blizzard hits, we can move right to Zoom!

Well, yes, or any suitable video conferencing tool. A message in the Field Ministry WhatsApp Group, and it’s ready.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 8/4/2020 at 4:09 AM, Buddy said:

An elder in my congregation said that the Organization is making there own zoom program And spending 12 hours a day producing it.

has anyone heard about that.

Yes I heard it to

On 8/4/2020 at 1:19 PM, carlos said:

A Zoom-like program is something huge that would require hundreds of developers working fulltime.

I don't know why do you say that... Tha't not a complex program and it even don't have that many configuration options... Doing the program in itself would be simple

There are lots of resources that could be now shifted to this work that can't be applied elsewhere due to the covid19

Also, how many times did the Organization accomplished things that would be thought of as impossible beforehand?

MIPS for example?

There are almost infinite combinations of hardware, operating systems and programs, and it would require a huge customer service department to take care of all the issues.

Not more combinations than JWLibrary already deals with and why a support desk? If it's well done no need for a huge customer support. Also we can't compare the client base for zoom with the potencial users of the new app (way less offcourse)

I don't think it's practical to reinvent the wheel when Zoom works fine and is quite cheap.

I don't think the question here is the cost or reinventing something but mostly for security reasons

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I think that's a little different because JWB is exclusive to our content and give us total control over it, just like having our own website does.

Why couldn't this app be exclusive to us also? why couldn't we have total control over it also?

3 hours ago, Bob said:

There was a need for JWB. There is really no need for a JW version of Zoom.

There was a need for JWB? How many antecipated that announcement and were waiting for it? And actualy I can see a need for the new app

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Private Zoom accounts give us the exclusivity, security, and privacy we need for a monthly fee. 

Privacy, security, exclusivity, as you call it, may be more and more a fragile thing as we move on the stream of time. Any private commpany belongs to the beast and we don't know what can happen in the future or if we will have access to those later on... Better start doing our own app now than to react later... Remember the FDS is discreet... Pr 22:3

3 hours ago, Bob said:

And I think Zoom will be for the short term which basically makes developing our own Zoom like application a waste of time and money. 

I think exactly the opposite. The need for a video conferencing tool will carry on post the pandemic confinement

53 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Yes I heard it to

I don't know why do you say that... Tha't not a complex program and it even don't have that many configuration options... Doing the program in itself would be simple

There are lots of resources that could be now shifted to this work that can't be applied elsewhere due to the covid19

Also, how many times did the Organization accomplished things that would be thought of as impossible beforehand?

MIPS for example?

No offense, and I mean I'm not being mean. Have you ever programmed before? I've done a little in my career, and you're talking about a cross-platform application that can work on Windows AND Macs, and also Apple and Adroid mobile devices, and you need encryption, ongoing support, R&D, the works. The JW library APP isn't as complex as Zoom yet they're constantly updating and supporting it. Carlos is really spot on here. 

Its anything BUT simple. 

Why couldn't this app be exclusive to us also? why couldn't we have total control over it also?

There was a need for JWB? How many antecipated that announcement and were waiting for it? And actualy I can see a need for the new app

Privacy, security, exclusivity, as you call it, may be more and more a fragile thing as we move on the stream of time. Any private commpany belongs to the beast and we don't know what can happen in the future or if we will have access to those later on... Better start doing our own app now than to react later... Remember the FDS is discreet... Pr 22:3

I think exactly the opposite. The need for a video conferencing tool will carry on post the pandemic confinement

I'm only saying its not necessary.. not now. The organization doesn't see us moving virtual for the long term, so its not needed right now. They already said the meetings will be slowly phased on based on local circumstances. So the expectation is that at some point in the future, we're gonna be back at the Halls. Zoom works fine for the time being. 

Edited by Bob

@jayrtom here's a idea of what it takes to support Zoom for millions of people. We have 8.6 million JWs across the globe:

In January 2020, Zoom had over 2,500 employees, with 1,396 in the United States and 1,136 in international locations.[79] It is reported that 700 employees within a subsidiary work in China and develop Zoom software.[14] In May 2020, Zoom announced plans to open new research and development centers in Pittsburgh and Phoenix, with plans to hire up to 500 engineers between the two cities over the next few years.[80] In July 2020, Zoom announced the opening of a new technology center in Bangalore, India, to host engineering, IT, and business operations roles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_Video_Communications

This would require us to create an entire Video Conference subsidiary to develop and support it. 

Edited by Bob