JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is the Organization making there own Zoom program

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1344 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

16 hours ago, Hope said:

What kills me are those who don't take their hands down. The poor conductor just has to remember that person just commented and not call on them again 🤪

Yet, sometimes my husband has commented and taken his hand down but then I put it back up to comment and as yet I  don't get called on. 

11 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Thanks Shawn. Couldn't have said it better :thumbsup:

I add this:

zoom is a resources glutton! 

You need to have an i7 PC if you want to see 49 pics

the raise hand feature is on a difficult place to find instead of on a button

there is no gallery view on mobile - most of the friends only see one pic at a time

if you don't have an high speed internet you must share videos in 360p and even so will occasionally sttuter...

Many more - it's a good program but not at all optimized for our meetings. Hence the 8 pages tutorial on to configure it :)

I think there are a lot more benefits in actually raising the physical hands in front of the cameras. Publishers are encouraged to have their cams always on anyway. It is much better and a lot less stressful for the congregation for the chairmen to swap the screen a few times than to deal with the raise hand features for like 60 people.

46 minutes ago, Hinata said:

I think there are a lot more benefits in actually raising the physical hands in front of the cameras. Publishers are encouraged to have their cams always on anyway. It is much better and a lot less stressful for the congregation for the chairmen to swap the screen a few times than to deal with the raise hand features for like 60 people.

Our brothers prefer the raised hand feature instead of using a physical hand. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

Many more - it's a good program but not at all optimized for our meetings. Hence the 8 pages tutorial on to configure it

Well, the tutorial is more about safety measures such as disabling chat, no recording allowed, no sharing screen allowed except for the host, and so on. But I agree that there is room for improvement in Zoom. :)

On the other hand, I am sure it has never been tested so thoroughly until we started using it for our metings. That's almost 10 million new customers overnight. Until then, Zoom was mainly used by executives or university people, but now it's being used by all kinds of people, which is good for the company too.

Edited by carlos

4 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

in some areas where brothers and sisters can only listen to the meetings

This is one of the reasons the Branch is encouraging Congregations to use KHConf - it has video with a camera at the Hall and the Roku app

On most phones/tablets you can have 3 pics at once if you just swipe the screen.

Even if the conductor has 49 pics on his PC - it is a little more difficult for him to look at all those pics (especially if he has a small PC Monitor) to see the hands waving than it is to look at the participants panel that moves all the "raised hands" to the top of the list.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

53 minutes ago, Qapla said:

This is one of the reasons the Branch is encouraging Congregations to use KHConf - it has video with a camera at the Hall and the Roku app

On most phones/tablets you can have 3 pics at once if you just swipe the screen.

Even if the conductor has 49 pics on his PC - it is a little more difficult for him to look at all those pics (especially if he has a small PC Monitor) to see the hands waving than it is to look at the participants panel that moves all the "raised hands" to the top of the list.

Exactly Br. John.  Our meetings always have more than 60 participants.  And most of those conduction Midweek parts do not have a monitor that can view more than 25 (some only 9) at a time so we always have 3 screens,  So if you were not on the first screen you would never get a chance to answer unless a cohost or attendant  could relay the physically raised hand observation to the conductor of the part.  That is very unlikely, since many of the brothers conducting midweek parts are unfamiliar with the Zoom program and can only get what is on their screen at one time.  So for us, the "raise hand" indicator is the only practical way. 

I use the physical hand during my field service meeting on Saturday because we have 9-10 participants (max).  i can see all of them and my wife is sitting next to me if I miss someone.

5 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Just MHO but I think it's better that JW's do not have a specific communication tool when the GT starts, for this can be an easy way to stop our communication activities and zeroed in on, or locate our individual locations. But then again, big brothers can watch us at anytime anyway.

Jeremiah 42:11 B. 

No one can enter Jehovahs «firewall» At this stage Jehovah can if he want to. 😀

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Our congregation is in its majority tech illiterate. It is a nightmare just to turn the mic on, let alone swipe the screen...

Again, in our case, since most of them are tech illiterate, and there is not an always visible button to raise hand, they just raise their physical hand. So in our case we can't go by the participants list, otherwise it would be just the same 4 or 5 people commenting...

The 49 pics at once was just to illustrate how the zoom app is so heavy on resources. Most of us that have parts need to change pages (mostly 3 pages) and use a pc

Edited by jayrtom

1 hour ago, outwalkin said:

Is there not a blue hand button on the bottom of the participants list - next to the mute/unmute button? 

Yes, but very tiny, difficult to see in notebook if is space thre feet or so as get two of us comfortaly in the picture. I use a remote mouse.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, outwalkin said:

Is there not a blue hand button on the bottom of the participants list - next to the mute/unmute button? 

The participant must go to the participant icon and expand it.  then move or size the box so as not to cover the screen below. (I usually put it in a corner).

14 hours ago, Qapla said:

However, at this time, I doubt the FDS would have directed us to use a commercial product like Zoom to hold our meetings if they had such an app already capable of congregation meetings.

On this we agree.  There is not a JW developed video conference app currently available to handle the needs of a congregation meeting.

3 hours ago, outwalkin said:

Yes on a PC and if you don't have the participants list docked (in this case you have to press a 3 dot button and then the raise hand option)

Not on a mobile divice

On 8/6/2020 at 10:17 PM, Hinata said:

We don’t have our cameras on during the meetings. Only those who have parts. Must be very distracting? 

1 minute ago, GoldAussieGirl said:

We don’t have our cameras on during the meetings. Only those who have parts. Must be very distracting? 

We’re told it’s a Branch direction to have the camera on all the time. I was under the assumption this was the norm for other congregation, also seeing the photos from jw.org. But I guess the situation is different for each location.

spacer.png

It’s not distracting for me personally. Like the above, I believed having the cam on is the encouraged way.

I just feel the same for the raise hand feature. It’s very uncomfortable moving my hands to going into the options and then click ‘raise hand,’ and then having to go again and lower hands again, when I can just raise my actual physical hands to accomplish the exactly the same thing. ^_^

4 minutes ago, Hinata said:

We’re told it’s a Branch direction to have the camera on all the time. I was under the assumption this was the norm for other congregation, also seeing the photos from jw.org. But I guess the situation is different for each location.

spacer.png

It’s not distracting for me personally. Like the above, I believed having the cam on is the encouraged way.

I just feel the same for the raise hand feature. It’s very uncomfortable moving my hands to going into the options and then click ‘raise hand,’ and then having to go again and lower hands again, when I can just raise my actual physical hands to accomplish the exactly the same thing. ^_^

Hm it must be as we have never had the cameras on for those without parts. I personally don’t see the need but that’s just my opinion, although I’m sure I’d find it quite entertaining if we did do it, especially watching the little ones in the congregation 😄We’ve never had any announcements here as far as I’m aware as to if it should be done or not. 

13 minutes ago, GoldAussieGirl said:

Hm it must be as we have never had the cameras on for those without parts. I personally don’t see the need but that’s just my opinion, although I’m sure I’d find it quite entertaining if we did do it, especially watching the little ones in the congregation 😄We’ve never had any announcements here as far as I’m aware as to if it should be done or not. 

Yes. Well we do not have any children in our congregation but we are always encouraged when we see each other and it is always funny to see each others reaction on the talks given or videos being played.

We all can agree that it is best to follow the ones who are leading (our Elders and the Branch) and the situation may be different in each area.

9 minutes ago, Hinata said:

Yes. Well we do not have any children in our congregation but we are always encouraged when we see each other and it is always funny to see each others reaction on the talks given or videos being played.

We all can agree that it is best to follow the ones who are leading (our Elders and the Branch) and the situation may be different in each area.

Of course absolutely we should ❤️

Edited by GoldAussieGirl

502500100_univ_lsr_md.jpg&key=d8de1ac5c903ce8ed6b63a96139ea983fe24c564c6e2fe6258c32d357ef49244

I just feel the same for the raise hand feature. It’s very uncomfortable moving my hands to going into the options and then click ‘raise hand,’ and then having to go again and lower hands again, when I can just raise my actual physical hands to accomplish the exactly the same thing.

It is not a requirement, but rather a wish. Everyone does as they wish, though. There might be a number of reasons why someone would prefer not to be on cam.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It is all that is necessary, but it nice to be able to see one another, if possible.

It is hard to see the videos on the phone.  So when the conductor says, "What is the little boy doing in the background?" when he is asking questions...it is hard to answer.