JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

1 hour ago, Myew said:

I'm assigned to manage the A/V on the Zoom meeting tonight, I'm hoping my ISP can handle it without disconnecting. My laptop seems to be more than powerful enough to handle encoding and decoding video streams without issue. It worked as a client on Sunday and we tested it a little last night and it seemed to work okay with my camera off and just one other person with video off while I was sharing... but Zoom recommends 1200 kbps down and up. I've got about 6000 kbps down with only 650 kbps up on my DSL/WiFi. My $15/mo cell phone LTE data is 12,500 kbps down and 9,500 kbps up, but only 2.7 available of 3 GB data cap... tempted to try tethering it to my laptop to host, as I just remembered that Mint Mobile is giving away unlimited free 3GB data extensions this month. That's 3x better upload than my old 100 Mbps down / 3 Mbps up internet, but I don't want it to get cut off in the middle of the meeting...

Can someone else host with a strong internet and make you cohost?
I’ll not a tech person but at least it’ll remove some worries.

19 minutes ago, Jmystro said:

Can someone else host with a strong internet and make you cohost?
I’ll not a tech person but at least it’ll remove some worries.

Hi, just to clarify 3GB are data capped? ...Any hour of video streaming are around 700MB/1GB of data transfer depends of video/audio quality.. This means you have around 3 or 4 hr of connection, in my opinion 

Yeah, there's another brother who can take over if needed, and I know approx how long it'll last. It just worries me, not knowing if/when my DSL ISP will disconnect or when my LTE data would hit the cap. I don't adapt well to crises. Apparently to redeem the unlimited 3 GB data extensions you have to buy it when you've used more than 95% of your standard data, then they'll refund you within the next day. So I'd have to stream video at max resolution in between meetings to make sure it's topped off. Haha.

13 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

Many in India are using zoom but my elder is insisting on skype.

Can you pls tell what is the benefit of using zoom than skype.?

I personally don’t have any preference either way. You should try whatever works for your congregation. I personally preferred Skype because that is what I have been using, but there is no denying that the majority of us are now on Zoom, and the Branch recommendation are also on this program.

I have heard there is a 25 participants limit on Skype, which would make it hard for a congregation of any decent size to hold meeting properly.

2 hours ago, Foxes53 said:

What have you found to be the best method for taking the attendance count during a zoom meeting? It is easy to see the number connected but how do we count how many in each connection?

We've asked the families to add the number watching to their name, and we'll take a screenshot or a photo and work it out after the meeting.

I had my first Zoom Bible Study last night.  We spent most of the time getting the students set up and working.  It went well (we used more than an hour of our study on technicalities).  Everybody was happy and it worked fine in the end.  Our congregation has a practice invitation for tonight so congregation publishers can get the kinks worked out.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:56 PM, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

If you are audio/video servant, please note that you must use “optimise share for full screen video clip” feature or the video will be buffered a lot to viewers. (If you are in a congregation and the video gets “delayed” a lot, try suggest this to your brother.)

It is recommended that you use crop feature to crop any other unnecessary part of your monitor screen, especially something like your desktop. No excessaries like even the timers. I am sure they can get very distracting to viewers.

Thank you very much ... it helped me a lot 🙂 

By the way, someone could recommend me what applications they use to give remote assistance of winwdows to android?

I saw in another post the photo that Brother Jarred published and I recognized Jw Library, Zoom and Skype. Do you know what the other two are?

Many questions in one post, sorry :innocent:

KH-Video/KH Stream, a modified version of OBS Studio. https://www.khconf.com/apps_windows.php https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Broadcaster_Software
and OnlyM https://github.com/AntonyCorbett https://www.soundboxsoftware.com/only-m

also Chrome in the background.

As for remote assistance, TeamViewer is most common, sometimes Chrome Remote Desktop or a form of Remote Desktop Protocol. It's important to set them up securely. Use Whitelists.
I used to really like Splashtop for Android too. It's gesture controls were perfect. Costs to use it remotely, however, so I mostly just used it to access my PC on the same network.

Edited by Myew

1 hour ago, Myew said:

Great ... thank you very much, I did not know those apps

18 hours ago, Foxes53 said:

What have you found to be the best method for taking the attendance count during a zoom meeting? It is easy to see the number connected but how do we count how many in each connection?

Our FSG overseers gather it from the families and then they send it to secretary for a total.

Our FSG Overseer has a group text going and we just text the totals per family.

Edited by Buttrfly71

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

What NOT to do on Zoom.

Beware, this contains a questionable scene. Some may wish to look to the right of the screen...

(not the left.. Ok )

MODS: Delete if you think this goes too far. But be warned, this can happen...

Old Tone (Downunder)

9 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

What NOT to do on Zoom.

Beware, this contains a questionable scene. Some may wish to look to the right emoji117.png of the screen...

(not the left.. Ok emoji1533.png)

MODS: Delete if you think this goes too far. But be warned, this can happen...

Old emoji3073.png Tone (Downunder) emoji854.png

Must have been deleted. Can't see any link or pic.

I have a question about zoom,  hope this is the right spot to ask.   They would like everyone to change their phone/device name to include a last name.   Is it possible to do this in zoom only somehow without having to change it on the phone itself?   So far I have not signed in or anything,  according to the elders information about how to log in to the meeting, I just go to join a meeting.    Any possibility that I can leave my phone name as is and change it only for zoom?   Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Search for this on YouTube:
(Censored)

Goes to Youtube, distracted by other videos, declares "I saw nothing".

On this note, I'm to self isolate for the next two weeks, i attended todays MWM in shirt and tie and participatedbut I don't want everyone seeing my bedroom wall in future, nothing unclean just no. Someone said somewhere there's a way of putting in a different background but i don't know where.  Please show sympathy to a sickly tech impecile and tell me how or direct me to where it was. Agape

Goes to Youtube, distracted by other videos, declares "I saw nothing".

On this note, I'm to self isolate for the next two weeks, i attended todays MWM in shirt and tie and participatedbut I don't want everyone seeing my bedroom wall in future, nothing unclean just no. Someone said somewhere there's a way of putting in a different background but i don't know where.  Please show sympathy to a sickly tech impecile and tell me how or direct me to where it was. Agape
The 'virtual background' works from the option tab (Bottom left up arrow ^).
Older PC or phones will not show the option.
Not really at the beach 538aa2b9bb133756dbfe36edeac50788.jpg

Old Tone (Downunder)

49 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

The 'virtual background' works from the option tab (Bottom left up arrow ^).
Older PC or phones will not show the option.

Thanks  Tony, my once cutting edge phone is now "older". I can put a picture up but we're taking comments by raising hands so that wont work. Just three more meetings. Thanks again.

45 minutes ago, Hugh O said:
Thanks  Tony, my once cutting edge phone is now "older". I can put a picture up but we're taking comments by raising hands so that wont work. Just three more meetings. Thanks again.

The 'virtual background' works with the camera. You can still answer and give comments. But you will be in front of the picture.
The above photo I posted of a brother at the 'beach' is a 'video backdrop'. The palms blow/move in the wind. There is also a moving 'aurora' backdrop (northern lights).
Zoom automatically puts you in front of the backdrop. You can also make your own backdrop. But it is dependant on your equipment!

(PS Are you iPhone or Android? ) 05489f42fd3dc09b30f0d756d0722174.jpg

Old Tone (Downunder)
PPS There is also an automatic 'touch up your appearance' feature. It will make you look so much younger! 

Edited by Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz

18 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

The 'virtual background' works with the camera. You can still answer and give comments. But it is dependant on your equipment!

(PS Are you iPhone or Android? )
PPS There is also an automatic 'touch up your appearance' feature. It will make you look so much younger! 

Anfroid 10 no less, Kirin 710 hardware on a heawei phone. But even with a zoom meeting with my wife there was no option tab.

On the bottom, just mike, camera, share participants, and three dots. Share replaces me on the screen. Three dots gives hand signals, disconnect audio and meeting settings. That controls what others can do but has no background ootion. At the top of the screen is mute audio, change which camera I'm  using, id and password, END.

Sorry Tony, but again thanks for the help.