JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

23 minutes ago, michelle said:

Hi. Thanks for all the help.

How does that work, some can phone in using landline? Not sure how that works. Thanks

Last night, I used our hall's phone company's free conference (unlimited) call to listen in to a meeting from another

congregation.  When I phoned in to the number our elders have given us to use for OUR meetings, a brother

at our hall's sound department connected our hall to the other congregation's hall.  I could hear all the sounds

of electronic equipment being clicked on.  

We mute our phones so we cannot comment, but a one-way meeting

is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than no meeting at all. :D

Now, thanks to Brother John, I know why I was given the phone tie-in to use for last night's mid-week.

JWStream is being reserved for EMERGENCY use only.  :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

7 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Last night, I used our hall's phone company's free conference (unlimited) call to listen in to a meeting from another

congregation.  When I phoned in to the number our elders have given us to use for OUR meetings, a brother

at our hall's sound department connected our hall to the other congregation's hall.  I could hear all the sounds

of electronic equipment being clicked on.  

We mute our phones so we cannot comment, but a one-way meeting

is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than no meeting at all. :D

Now, thanks to Brother John, I know why I was given the phone tie-in to use for last night's mid-week.

JWStream is being reserved for EMERGENCY use only.  :D 

I wish someone had told/text me about that. ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

33 minutes ago, Loopy said:

I wish someone had told/text me about that. ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Sister Gina said the elders just found out about it themselves.

I told her you had already watched the mid-week on JWStreaming and she said 

that was okay, but we're switching to the phone tie-in.  I bet you will be getting a call

pretty soon.  It was just a bit before the meeting was to begin that I received the call saying to

use the tie-in, or I would have used the JWStreaming too. :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

7 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Thanks@molnarj
This is the feedback I was after.
Someone said zoom has not enforced the 40 min limit. That it is currently free.
Can anyone confirm this is true?
TIA

Just Older emoji3073.png

We Zoomed our BOE meeting on Monday. Zoom put a message on screen at sign-in saying the 40 min limit is currently waved on free accounts.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, michelle said:

Hi. Thanks for all the help.

How does that work, some can phone in using landline? Not sure how that works. Thanks

I don't know either. It says it is possible. We are going to try. But if it means we will have to make a call to the US to make it possible we will not do so.

9 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

My husband and I tested it on our devices last night. It seems to work with multiple video chats, a little slower response on receiver end, but I think that's normal for any video conferencing system.

Many service groups had their MDM last night as smaller conferencing groups. We are working on it still for our group, and will hopefully have our's ready to go for the weekend.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I will send the info to hubby.

I also like the fact that Jitsi Meet doesn't require sign-up.  It should make the user experience less frustrating.  If you @Lieblingskind have any tips and tricks for Jitsi Meet please let me know as I am going to evaluate it soon for our congregation.  Thanks 

Will do! My husband is still deciding which platform to use. After reading these comments, and hearing others here locally using Zoom, we'll see which platform to go with. Maybe go initially with Jitsi, and if no technical problems come up then continue using, or switching to Zoom if too many problems come up. Our first conference meeting is on Saturday morning. If you guys try it before then, let us also know! :)

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

As mentioned above, only the person that initiates the Zoom meeting has to upgrade to get past the 40 minute limit.  In our case our COBE bought the upgraded account and then the rest of the congregation are invited by him and only need the free account.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

We 'zoomed' into a meeting last night. Went smoothly with minor hiccups...

Our experience observations:

Downloaded zoom app on phone and tablet (both Android).

It asked for meeting ID (supplied earlier by 'host')

You could also enter your name here (I think this is what everyone sees)

On the bottom bar it asked me how to connect to sound.

There was a 'button' to switch off video (which I recommend to start)

It finally asked for password.

We then could here music playing at the hall.

It also showed 4 empty boxes representing the first 4 listening in with their name on the box, but no video seen. (swipe right for next 4 etc) There were over 50 connected.

The 'controller' was not at the hall, and could mute your Mic and (I think block your video stream)

Some suggestions.

A few may have logged in with their video enabled. Make sure you are presentable. (one was in a car, one lying in bed, one with a hoodie on. Not a big issue, unless you think no one is seeing you.) My guess is the video was blocked by the host controller, because these images just flashed up for a few seconds and then disappeared.

For some reason, one users name popped up as he joined the meeting, AND his PC's desktop picture. (He was a StarWars fan!) So be aware some things might slip through until these bugs are ironed out.

Also, your name pops up on everyone's screen for a few seconds when you first join. Many joined late. Very late. (This might be able to be blocked by the 'controller', but was visable this session)

So if you jump in to have a look, everyone knows (currently).

There was a chat feature imbedded with zoom. It showed up as you swiped right to the end. Some sent others chat messages. They didn't realise EVERYBODY saw the chat (which started with 'hello gorgeous...')

The host controller got onto it pretty quick, but be forewarned.

The camera was setup on a tripod with a laptop on a chair next to it. The speaker's stand was moved so it was in the same shot as the TV on the back wall, so we could see the speaker and what was on TV. It was clear enough to read the lyrics on the phone screen.

This was just an initial test. It went well. It will be streamlined and tidied up for sure. But even quite acceptable 'as is'.

Hope this helps. You need someone 'switched on' as the controller (can be the host, but can be anyone - anywhere). Needs to mute mics and video.

There was no commenting at this early stage.

Just Older

43650cc1b386bb3e985b7a77d7d2839e.jpg1774e1c798850857c5706f9f05df2497.jpg

The last time I used Skype was on a conference call for an LDC HOT meeting - most of us had to turn our cameras off due to bandwidth issues ... this happened with two different Maintenance Trainers on separate calls 

:shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We will be doing Zoom starting on Sunday. I got the link today and tested it on both my laptop and iPhone. It worked great 👍🏻. Took awhile to figure out where the “raise hand” option was on the computer! 🤔

If you are interested in knowing who is on, you can click on “participants” and it will bring up a list on the side of the computer screen. 
We have our CO visit next week, so it will be interesting to see if all goes well!

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

On 3/17/2020 at 8:38 PM, Qapla said:

For the time being, our Congregation is going to have "participant only" meeting at the Hall and use the KHConf system we already have for the tie-in.

That is what we decided yesterday after the 3/16 letter.  Today we got further official indications that was not the best choice and recommended we reconsider.  So we did today.

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

That is what we decided yesterday after the 3/16 letter.  Today we got further official indications that was not the best choice and recommended we reconsider.  So we did today.

I like that "further official indications" what ever that means. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

18 minutes ago, Foxes53 said:

Can we verify whether the free version of zoom times out after 40 mins.(Somebody mentioned zoom had waived this).

Does the administrator need to sign up for the paid version ?

Zoom website under Support during the COVID-19 pandemic doesn’t mention extra time.

I did read that for schools they were extending the time.