JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

With the latest software you have a third option besides auto and manual assigning individuals to the breakout rooms namely they can choose which breakout room they want to go into. The upkeep of any instructions with changing software or procedures is not to be envied.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

19 hours ago, More4me2do said:

The zoominst-E.pdf document is from the branch and any servant can obtain it. This is the reference on how to setup the Zoom meetings, some settings are obligatory others are optional so any document or guide created would have to reflect those required settings. In addition the guide and letter to the BofE states who should do what. In addition any Zoom license obtained from the branch has additional settings locked. For example we no longer can eliminate the waiting room once the meeting has started with the branch's Zoom license but we can with our own.

I've reviewed the zoom instructions, while it does outline roles of assignments, the brothers in my cong aren't the most tech savvy, so they need step by step instructions. That is what I plan to make.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:33 AM, AH173 said:

I have been doing this for the initial call, return visit and Bible study for almost 3 weeks. Some notice while others can't see the dual spotlight feature. The people I ask who have Apple  Android and windows devices and many say they can't see it. The few who did have windows 10 devices. I wonder if all could see it soon 

On 9/29/2020 at 8:32 PM, WilliamChew said:

I guess spotlighting is less useful on the small mobile phone screen.

I find it a useful feature on the large screen windows and macos desktops.

Its good that in a 2 person dialogue, you can see the physical reaction or facial expression of the other party who is not currently speaking.

When another was assigned host, I suggested prior to start of meeting-by a show of blue hands raised, see if you can see the dual spotlight feature of some random sisters in the zoom meeting.

Found out about only 6 -8 participants can see it while others can't. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 4 weeks later...

I don't recall seeing this mentioned here, but has anyone been able to confirm Zoom working with a USB Webcam on cheaper Android/Chrome TV Boxes, or something standard like a Google Chromecast/Amazon Fire/Roku? I'm trying to figure out what is the optimal setup for my parents on a TV.

Particularly, I'm wondering if I can get a USB OTG Hub and Webcam running off of something like this Android TV/Chromecast for $30. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dynalink-Android-TV-Box-Android-10-Support-HD-Netflix-4K-Youtube/981542272

Edited by Myew

I have researched how to display a zoom meeting on the Roku as well as on the Chromcast with Google TV and the only way is via portable device that can do screen mirroring. While you can receive audio and video from the Zoom meeting you don't have the option of participating.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

I use to set up a laptop computer on a small table in front of us while we sat on the couch, so we were on camera. Then I used a HDMI to connect the laptop to the TV. We were on camera but would view the big screen TV.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have my PC connected to the large TV via HDMI - I am using a SVGA to HDMI adapter to send the picture to the TV. The adapter plugs into the SVGA port for the picture and a USB port for the sound ... that way the picture and the sound come through the TV. The camera is on my PC and Zoom is still running on the PC so I also have the monitor on the PC displaying the same thing that is on the TV ... makes it easy for me to comment. I have Windows set to "duplicate" the screen instead of "extend" the screen.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thanks. I do understand all of those methods, but I've tried explaining and showing the casting thing with them and it's likely more hassle than it's worth. I have seen Zoom with a mic working on some Android TVs, but not cameras, and I am unsure if Android 10 comes with all the camera drivers now. I need it to be simple as possible, preferably something all-in-one, touchscreen if possible. Which is why I'm looking into used Chromebooks with HDMI out at the moment, seems to be the best value and simplest complete solution.

Edited by Myew

New Zoom Update

November 16, 2020 version 5.4.3 (58891.1115)

Changes to existing features
Non-video meeting interface will appear the same as a video meeting with video off
Meetings scheduled with video off will now just show profile pictures or names, rather than the plain screen with meeting info and options.
New and enhanced features
Meeting/webinar features
Share multiple programs at once 
Users can select multiple desktop programs at once for sharing, instead of sharing their entire desktop. Other programs and unoccupied areas in the desktop will not be visible to the viewer. The sharer will always know which applications they are sharing by an extensible green border. Only the user employing this feature will need to be on version 5.4.3, viewers can be connected with older versions.
Meeting features
Enhanced in-meeting user abuse reporting 
Simplified process for meeting hosts and attendees to report abuse to Zoom.
Suspend participant activity 
New option in the Security panel to immediately suspend all participant activities, which will mute all video and audio, stop screen sharing, end all breakout rooms, and pause recording.
Chat features
Pin chat messages 
Users can pin a message in a channel, which is displayed at the top of the channel. Pins can be removed, replaced, or hidden. A log of pinned messages is accessible in the channel options panel.
Resolved Issues
Resolved issue for a subset of users regarding scheduling an alternative host while chat and contacts are disabled 
Resolved issue for a subset of users regarding Egnyte flagging Zoom files as malware
Security enhancements
Minor bug fixes

• 2 weeks later...

There is an upcoming Zoom update.

December 7, 2020 version TBD

Under New and enhanced features,

• Meeting features
    • Enhanced co-host privileges over Breakout Rooms
      Co-hosts have the same breakout room controls as the meeting host, such as starting or ending breakout rooms, assigning participants, etc.

(This will be a nice feature for the attendant co-hosts to have to help with the breakout rooms if needed.)

Resolved Issues

• Security enhancements
  • Minor bug fixes

(the other things listed in the update is not of interest for congregation meetings, such as additional MSI/GPO option and chat transcripts)

From some more recent reviews that I've seen, I'm fairly sure that it is possible to get Zoom working with certain webcams through a powered USB OTG Hub connected to the new $50 Chromecast with Google TV. Logitech seems to have the best USB support, but with the plethora of $20 1080p 30 fps webcams out now, likely some others work too.

After much time wasted shopping online, I did eventually manage to find my parents a new 2018 14" Touchscreen Chromebook with a USB C to HDMI cable for a total of $127, primarily for Zoom on a TV. My miserliness has been sated.

The hosting update will definitely be appreciated, the A/V brother often has to switch host with an elder for them to make breakout rooms.

On the jw.org login (elders/ministerial servants), a new PDF was recently published earlier today in forms. It's called Audio/Video Guidelines for Those Giving Public Talks via Videoconference. It goes into much detail, things such as, internet connection, video framing, lighting, and microphones. Certainly a very nice document and much needed.     

On 11/11/2020 at 11:53 AM, Myew said:

Thanks. I do understand all of those methods, but I've tried explaining and showing the casting thing with them and it's likely more hassle than it's worth. I have seen Zoom with a mic working on some Android TVs, but not cameras, and I am unsure if Android 10 comes with all the camera drivers now. I need it to be simple as possible, preferably something all-in-one, touchscreen if possible. Which is why I'm looking into used Chromebooks with HDMI out at the moment, seems to be the best value and simplest complete solution.

It boils down to the zoom app and if it recognizes the camera

...as a side note I did get an older Samsung ‘Android’ phone to work as a camera...or a second camera on zoom

using a free app droid cam

the picture is better quality than the usb cameras I had in my sons room

and zoom does support 2 inputs ‘cameras’ 

where as other recording apps can support even more we have had 6-7 inputs running.....Then tied into zoom....for CO

re TV and USB camera

in the long run you are actually creating a MORE complex solution with a mix of components NOT designed to work together 

for those in their 70s and 80s who were having extreme difficulties with technology....

we found the simplest solution was to setup a tablet —iPad or Android

and in a few cases we attached it to a TV ... 

1 case we setup an older Android tablet to an older tv in their spare bedroom/office

we wrote down the steps for the 85 yr old brother

from turning in TV ...to powering up the tablet...choosing Zoom ..(we added the meeting and had him enter password...but that was too difficult)

so now we have a link to the meeting including password ... on the tablet desktop

he clicks the link and the meeting opens...

we update the link monthly and someone stops by and changes the link for each month

he has 2 links .... 1 for meetings....1 for service

we stiill end up assisting remotely .... when he touches the microphone or has camera issue.....

and he has gotten reasonably comfortable....he even managed to join the breakouts rooms

they were such a highlight for them they stay on afterward for an extra hour

Thank you. Yes, I agree and understand those points. I was having to weigh the financial costs vs the needs. I don't like Zoom apps running on the TV itself, but I consider it when they are cheap and already widely used by seniors. In my case, I'm very glad I went for a Chromebook. I needed it to be at least 14" due to eyesight, with the option of output to HDMI for the TV. They're already familiar with Android tablets so it's a natural progression. I needed it to be a touchscreen running the full desktop/web version of Zoom, because it's so much simpler for them when it comes to always having the meeting controls displayed and being easier to see when you are muted and unmuted. There are still issues with people on tablets being unable to find the mute/unmute or react to it before it disappears. It should always be there and only take one touch, that's simple.

3 hours ago, TylerD said:

On the jw.org login (elders/ministerial servants), a new PDF was recently published earlier today in forms. It's called Audio/Video Guidelines for Those Giving Public Talks via Videoconference. It goes into much detail, things such as, internet connection, video framing, lighting, and microphones. Certainly a very nice document and much needed.     

Br. Tyler, it is interesting that in the list of 16 sections, the first one after the introduction is the discussion on the internet connection.  Recommendation?...use a hard wired internet connection (or if you have to use wifi, you should test for good connection and through-put including audio and video).

There has been similar advice offered in other threads on this forum.

12 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Tyler, it is interesting that in the list of 16 sections, the first one after the introduction is the discussion on the internet connection.  Recommendation?...use a hard wired internet connection (or if you have to use wifi, you should test for good connection and through-put including audio and video).

There has been similar advice offered in other threads on this forum.

It is! Using a wired Internet connection is indeed the best. My speed test agrees too! 😀

Using a PC that is not "overburdened" by Zoom is also a great help.

I just built a new PC. I have it side-by-side with my old one. It is like "night & day" how they work for Zoom. 

While much of the Zoom problems can be caused by slow Internet - others are caused by under performing PC's being "pushed to the limits".