JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

I was impressed by the translation feature in a meeting I attended today.

I tried it out and was able to listen to a simultaneous translation of the public talk into a second language (with the option of original audio on/off)....AMAZING!!!!!!!!

DA5306E8-A97C-40D7-8FF0-2F10ABD8300A.jpeg

8C8B8393-0CDD-46D3-A80E-AE9CE030E1E7.jpeg

Edited by Skye

add photo

Hi John. I joined the meeting using my mobile phone. So at the bottom left of the screen, with the 3 horizontal dots (more). Same place where you’ll find reactions, record to the cloud, chats, raise hand, security, backgrounds etc.

When I changed back to the original language and into gallery view, I could see the brother who was doing the interpretation. He wasn’t connected to audio (at least he didn’t have the red muted mic symbol). I found it extremely fascinating.

Edited by Skye

typo

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360034919791-Language-interpretation-in-meetings-and-webinars?mobile_site=true#h_ead62b5f-f2e1-44cd-aa62-58a4bc2e8bcf

Language interpretation setup

- Prerequisites:  Business, Education, or Enterprise account; or Pro account + Webinar add-on plan

- Language interpretation cannot be initiated or managed when using the Zoom mobile app. Participants joining from the Zoom mobile app can only listen to interpretation audio channels and view interpreted text.
- If you do not have this option, please contact Zoom Support to request this feature be enabled.

Has anyone has the problem where you mute everybody, and the participate panel shows that everyone is muted, and yet someone remains unmuted?

We have had this a few times.  We mute everyone before the start of the meeting, but we can hear someone singing during the opening song.  No matter how many times we "Mute All", it seems to fail to mute someone.  Odd problem!

17 minutes ago, On the huh said:

Has anyone has the problem where you mute everybody, and the participate panel shows that everyone is muted, and yet someone remains unmuted?

We have had this a few times.  We mute everyone before the start of the meeting, but we can hear someone singing during the opening song.  No matter how many times we "Mute All", it seems to fail to mute someone.  Odd problem!

The only time this happens on our end is when we mute everyone, the song starts, and then someone new is admitted into the meeting and is unmuted.

12 minutes ago, On the huh said:

Don't have this particular problem. I do remember in the past when trying to mute someone back after their comment, it would take several clicks of the mute button on their name to mute them back. I believe it's an internet connection issue on the participants end. The next time this happens, if you're host/co-host or someone else is, move them to the waiting room, then move them back to the meeting. That should have them muted back.

I have noticed some that log in for the first few seconds the mic is live. So I do see a lag before the 'mute on entry' takes effect.

I also have experienced this: As I mute someone, they mute themselves at the same time, and I believe it flips back on again, as if the button was pressed twice.

So I always have the participants pane on the side, and 'live' mics float to the top.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Zoom Pet peeve.

I do not like distractions, so when I have a meeting part, I try to have my lighting and screen angle so my reading glasses do not reflect anything.

I personally do not like viewing a speaker, when you are looking at his screen on his glasses.

As it is almost impossible not to reflect from time to time, I use inverse colours on my PC notes. (Black page with tan text works best for me.)

However, the participant pane gives me constant problems. I cannot work out how to turn that pane into 'dark mode.

Any tips would be appreciated. TIA.

[i use the free version. It has an option 'dark mode', but I see no changes when I enable it. Is it a 'paid' feature? ]

Old (Downunder) Tone 89b9e5f89961a7e8008c226f263795fd.jpg

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

I have seen someone have their sound show as muted

Microphone, record, muted, technology, sound, voice, Mute, interface icon

and yet, their sound is still working.

It does not happen often - but it does happen.

So glad you brothers brought this up!  I have been researching this a while now. 

I was in our FS group and the brother and his wife showed muted - but...I could 

hear them whispering and I text them to let them know - I could hear their whispers

they looked at me and motioned toward the computer and gave me a thumbs up!

On my end I now mute zoom mic and turn mute my computer volume as well.  IDK - just makes 

me feel more muted - 

5 hours ago, Chachanee said:

So glad you brothers brought this up!  I have been researching this a while now. 

I was in our FS group and the brother and his wife showed muted - but...I could 

hear them whispering and I text them to let them know - I could hear their whispers

they looked at me and motioned toward the computer and gave me a thumbs up!

On my end I now mute zoom mic and turn mute my computer volume as well.  IDK - just makes 

me feel more muted - 

If I'm not wrong, muting your pc doesn´t mute the mic just the speakers.... The best way would be to use a mic which has a mute button of it's on

12 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

If I'm not wrong, muting your pc doesn´t mute the mic just the speakers.... The best way would be to use a mic which has a mute button of it's on

My microphone has a physical "mute" button that glows red when it is muted or off.

18 minutes ago, jwhess said:

My microphone has a physical "mute" button that glows red when it is muted or off.

That's the one :)

The problem with those mic's is that the mute button of the mic doesn't mute the zoom app. So you basycally have to mute and unmute twice - At least the 2 mic's I had with this button worked that way

Edited by jayrtom

Another audio problem.  Been like this for the last two meetings.  For the first few seconds after someone is unmuted and they begin to talk, the audio is distorted and echoes,.  It calms down and is normal again after that.  Never been a problem before.  

I'm looking forward to seeing the blurred background feature.

Screenshot_20210124-064824_Google.thumb.jpg.486fbfce387f7eb452acd9e0513e6a7d.jpg

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D