JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Grocery Shopping at Local Markets? or Online?

This current global health crisis has changed the way some of us view a "normal trip to the marketplace" to feed our families, no doubt.  But I do concede that it has been a frustrating experience the last couple of weeks or so in order to find the most basic of perishables and non-perishables to bring home to prepare meals.

Sisters, have you changed your grocery shopping habits? If yes, how so?  For me, I'm compelled to shop very early in the morning instead of the usual afternoon/evening since I was told that basic essentials are stocked late at night (midnight-ish).

Signs of the times...sigh.

I have noticed Australian supermarkets are stocked better and better.. rice, oil, flour, eggs  in abundance ...still toilet paper is lacking.

Apparently Australia has so much food stocked in the warehouses, that we could feed 75ml (Australian population is 25ml)

One of Australia's national strengths is that it is a major food producer, and much of what we eat is home grown.

I hope to see panic buying to cease a little....

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Because of staying home..elderly, etc., I have been shopping online. However, there is one product I could not find from the online shop I use...shelf stable organic whole milk! All I could find was a 6.5oz shelf stable milk..ordered it..but because it comes with a straw, there is no way to open it without using a sharp knife on the end flap. So each morning I open a few and pour into an empty tiny water bottle! That way, when Don gets up (he has to sleep more), there is whole milk for our coffee! Prefer half and half..but try to find that! So, I think Jehovah helped me..I got the thought to check the Dollar Tree online. (U.S. store..everything is a dollar). Found out they have shelf stable whole milk with only D3 added for $1 each!!! (Gossnor Family Farm..no hormones)! Even though it is not organic, it is the next best thing. On a farm, cows eat grass..right?:D So..I called a local Dollar Tree store and they had a case!!! The manager has been witnessed to before, as well. He agreed to bring the milk outside the front door for me so I wouldn't have to go inside..Before I left, I invited him to visit our free online worldwide website, etc. jw dot org..He said "jw dot org"? I said yes..he said "thanks, I will"! :lol: So, I am telling you all this because, since he used 2 plastic bags for each 3 quarts, when I got home I washed them in soap and water in a bucket, (with my mask and goggles and gloves on), and then rinced them, and then hung them out to dry!! Since I am not going inside stores, where I sometimes forget my freezer bag and get a few plastic bags (which I repurpose), these bags are valuable!!:facepalmpo2:I sure hope Don enjoys his coffee today!:coffee: I just finished mine..that's why this comment is so long...sorry..:boating:

20200324_100353-1.jpg

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Walmart pickup can be scheduled a day in advance, so I try to schedule a grocery pickup either late at night or early morning. And pray they have at least half the items lol. ^_^  Salvage grocery stores are also good and help the budget!

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

This current global health crisis has changed the way some of us view a "normal trip to the marketplace" to feed our families, no doubt.  But I do concede that it has been a frustrating experience the last couple of weeks or so in order to find the most basic of perishables and non-perishables to bring home to prepare meals.

Sisters, have you changed your grocery shopping habits? If yes, how so?  For me, I'm compelled to shop very early in the morning instead of the usual afternoon/evening since I was told that basic essentials are stocked late at night (midnight-ish).

Signs of the times...sigh.

Yes sister! Some of the stores have designated "senior shopping hour/hours," the first one or in somes two hours of the store opening! Great idea for seniors!

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

Some of the stores have designated "senior shopping hour."

Yes and I just recently found out that some stores have been having a similar hour for those of us with sensory sensitivities (which are extremely common for people on the autism spectrum), as shown in this video:

I guess this particular chain has been doing it for quite a few months and I never knew.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:23 AM, TiaCyre said:

For me it was very early 6am...

On 3/24/2020 at 10:47 AM, SUNRAY said:

Because of staying home..elderly, etc., I have been shopping online.

Yes, I've actually had to do both: getting up early to arrive by 7:00 a.m.  My local food market is kind enough to have restrictions in place for only the elderly and infirmed to shop for the first hour of business.  (A nice provision as I was able to obtain most of my food essentials! )

My only complaint: Bread is always depleted from the grocery shelves lately. That's not a problem for me since I love to bake my own fresh, hot-out-of-the-oven loaves but my problem is I can't find no bread yeast anywhere, at the local stores or online, to make bread!  :cry:

Life in this world can be hard...

Life in this world can bring tears and pain...

Edited by Omoyeme

11 hours ago, Buttons said:

Send to Amazon for a 2-pound package.  It lasts a very long time.  I bake bread every week and I keep the yeast in the refrigerator.

I hope this helps.

Sister Helen I went shopping last weekend and found that the shelves were restocked with instant yeast, thankfully. I brought home several packets and just tonight I baked whole wheat bread with fresh/chopped rosemary with olive oil for added flavor.  Of course, with 4 adults in the home it didn't last very long. :)

I'm not sure if my 5lb. bag of flour will last, but we'll see!

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 5:13 AM, Omoyeme said:

I'm not sure if my 5lb. bag of flour will last, but we'll see!

Grocery stores are restocking with enough flour, so I had to get a 5-lb bag, or two,...maaybe three. 🍞:whistling:

• 1 month later...

Has anyone noticed a significant price increase in basic food staples in your area? Just 6 months ago I was buying a 10 lb. bag of rice for $16.99. That same bag of rice is now $24.99. A can of tuna has doubled in price at where I shop...and it flies off the shelf whenever it's restocked. And let's not talk about fruits and vegetables.

Well, stimulus or no stimulus, many of us will be affected for the foreseeable future.

33 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

Has anyone noticed a significant price increase in basic food staples in your area? Just 6 months ago I was buying a 10 lb. bag of rice for $16.99. That same bag of rice is now $24.99. A can of tuna has doubled in price at where I shop...and it flies off the shelf whenever it's restocked. And let's not talk about fruits and vegetables.

Well, stimulus or no stimulus, many of us will be affected for the foreseeable future.

And nothing is on sale anymore.

14 hours ago, Your Brother said:

And nothing is on sale anymore.

It's interesting, because we still have sales and weekly "specials" despite being hit hard by Covid-19. 

Although Australia produces a lot of food. (for the size of population)

Australia exports about two thirds of our food production.

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)