JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1069 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:46 PM, Just around the corner said:

the program reaches 85 million

This is mind-blowing!!!

As I always say: Where Jah wills, there's a way!

Better yet, wouldn't it be wonderful if our brothers and sisters there had access to this years' regional and circuit assemblies through similar means?

Edited by Omoyeme

On 4/8/2020 at 8:29 AM, michelli1223 said:

Memorial talk in zimbabwe .. 

Isn't the official language in Zimbabwe , English?

On 4/9/2020 at 9:34 AM, Just around the corner said:

Please help me:

How can I copy the memorial talk in Zimbabwe? From post above.

If you have windows, just right click over video and choose save video

13 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Isn't the official language in Zimbabwe English?

According to the Gov't of Zimbabwe official website, the commercial language is English.

Other languages are:  Shona, Ndebele, Chewa, Chibarwe, Kalanga, Koisan, Nambya, Ndau, Shangani, Zimbabwe Sign language, Sotho, Tonga, Tswana, Venda and Xhosa.

Edited by Omoyeme

6 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

According to the Embassy of Zimbabwe, the official languages are:

- English

- Shona

- Ndebele

Shouldn't the above video be in english?

Anyone can confirm  what the man is talking about?

I've searched and couldn't find any reference to it...

39 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Shouldn't the above video be in english?

Anyone can confirm  what the man is talking about?

I've searched and couldn't find any reference to it...

I have no doubt this is a genuine Biblical discourse.   According to the 2019 Yearbook, Zimbabwe has a population of close to 15 million and, for Jehovah's Witnesses, the numbers then were 50,000+.  As in the majority of African countries, European languages, though they may be official, are actually secondary to the natives (unless a congregation is specific to English, French, Spanish, etc.)  It's been my experience that the majority of the brotherhood there prefers to hear Bible discourses, read literature, preach and teach "in the language of their heart, yes?

For Zimbabwe, 70% of the population speaks Shona. It would only make sense that to reach the populace on a major TV station, the main indigenous language would be spoken to the audience since every native may not speak, read or write English.

Edited by Omoyeme

On 4/8/2020 at 9:29 AM, michelli1223 said:

Memorial talk in zimbabwe .. 

What is this language ? I've tried some language in the website, but I can't find this video yet.

Found it, it's Shona language (same introduction words, same brother, but different setting)

Edited by Dages

The memorial was on English and 3 other languages so this was not English. Which of the other 3 I dont know. The most important is that more than 14,5 million could hear the memorial talk in Zimbabwe.

In Kongo they had it also and a couple from our former congregation is in Kongo an confirmed that the off. Chanel in Kongo can reach 85 million, they was sooooooo happy to listen to it because so many brothers and sisters cant get good enough internett or internett at all in remote areas. Not everyone have money to buy pc, iPad, very good phone to take part in the memorial when there is lockdown.

Our Father always provid spiritual food for his children. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

I take the liberty of transferring this post from another thread as Brother Jako's comment regarding the memorials held in Africa is relevant to this thread. Thank you for the update Bro. Jako.

Some news here from Africa. 

Most must have heard about the Memorial being broadcast on national TV & Radio in many African lands. (I'm sure this also happened on some other continents, but I am only aware of figures on the African continent)

In advance of the Memorial, a total of 11 branches—Angola, Benin, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ghana, Malawi, Mozambique, Senegal, Zambia, and Zimbabwe—contacted broadcasting companies  spanning 16 countries.There were more than 105 million people in within the broadcast range.

Then yesterday a dear friend of mine sent me this message he received from a missionary couple in Malawi

Another new development here. The country will go into lockdown from Saturday the 18th. As you know it’s not possible for our brothers and sisters to conduct meetings over zoom or Skype because of not having phones, tablets, or laptops. So our branch just announced yesterday that starting from this weekend the midweek meeting will be broadcast every Saturday at 4pm on national Tv and the Public Talk will be shown on Sunday at 5pm. Additionally, they will also be aired on radio( as 70% of our brothers don’t have a TV). An absolute blessing!

Jehovah's hand is not short!!!!!

I tried to share this with a good friend. The only one I mentioned it to. Back came the response, “tell me more about your memorial being broadcast on television. 
I was dumbfounded. I deleted what I said, and, went about my business.(This is a complicated relationship. This dear sister is way intelligent, but has some security issues. She always needed to, “have one upon me”. I think, “no sweat”. Maybe we can learn from each other) 

Anyway...I finally got over to our site, and, there it was! I almost felt as good as I initially felt! Which was, “way good”. 
Facts speak for themselves. As I move on...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

24 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

the midweek meeting will be broadcast every Saturday at 4pm on national Tv and the Public Talk will be shown on Sunday at 5pm. Additionally, they will also be aired on radio( as 70% of our brothers don’t have a TV). An absolute blessing!

Jehovah's hand is not short!!!!!

this is absolutely the best news!!!

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

• 1 month later...

Congregation Meetings in Malawi Reach Millions Through TV and Radio Broadcasting

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/malawi/Congregation-Meetings-in-Malawi-Reach-Millions-Through-TV-and-Radio-Broadcasting/

I really appreciate this excerpt from the article:

There are over 100,000 of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Malawi, but broadcasters estimate that each weekend two million people tune in to the television broadcast and eight million people listen to the radio broadcast.

This is truly unprecedented for our organization so we must give credit to where credit is due:  Thank you Jehovah!

The experience in paragraph #4 was especially encouraging.

Edited by Omoyeme

In these times of pestilences I believe that, for our dear African brothers and sisters, this beneficial method of "preaching and teaching" may very well remain for the foreseeable future.  However, this method is not unprecedented, for many of us may recall* the U.S. Branch's station called WBBR in New York.  Information from chapter 7, para. 14 of the publication "God's Kingdom Rules" says, in part,

Explaining the purpose of WBBR, The Watch Tower of December 1, 1924, said: “We believe that the radio is the most economical and effective way of spreading the message of the truth that has yet been used.”

The growth of the preaching/teaching work on the African continent is amazing, and since JW's request to radio and TV stations to transmit public discourses and weekly meetings are received favorably now,  no doubt we'll be hearing many more positive experiences as a result of these methods.

*And I know what you're thinking and no, I was not alive to hear any of those WBBR broadcast talks. :)

• 7 months later...

Brothers in Remote Areas Hold Meetings Using Effort and Innovation 

Many congregations around the world rely on a variety of technical solutions to hold meetings during the pandemic. But some of our brothers who live in remote areas with limited access to the Internet have gone to great lengths to maintain their normal spiritual routine, while adhering to COVID-19 safety protocols. Consider a few examples from Africa.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/global/Brothers-in-Remote-Areas-Hold-Meetings-Using-Effort-and-Innovation

NB: Zoom or no zoom, our African brethren are "attending" their regular meetings in the remotest of areas. Our God always makes sure that they will not go spiritually hungry.

Praise Jah! :D

• 4 months later...

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/how-your-donations-are-used/A-JW-Satellite-Channel-Reaches-Where-Internet-Does-Not/

A JW Satellite Channel Reaches Where Internet Does Not

Each month, we eagerly anticipate the spiritual programs and videos released on JW Broadcasting. However, many of our brothers in Africa cannot access these programs on the Internet. Why not?

Much of Africa has limited Internet access. And where access is available, it is often slow or very expensive. For example, a circuit overseer in Madagascar once downloaded a single JW Broadcasting monthly program at an Internet café. He was billed $16, which is more than some people earn in a week! *

Despite these difficulties, millions in Africa may now enjoy JW Broadcasting without using the Internet. How?

Thank you Jehovah! :heart:

Edited by Omoyeme

• 4 weeks later...

I'm praying for our brothers and sisters in the Democratic Republic of Congo since I recently read about the volcanic eruption there near Goma.

Some of the photos break my heart.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/22/dr-congos-nyiragongo-volcano-erupts-triggering-panic

May Jehovah comfort those who may have been affected. :(

6 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

I'm praying for our brothers and sisters in the Democratic Republic of Congo since I recently read about the volcanic eruption there near Goma.

Some of the photos break my heart.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/22/dr-congos-nyiragongo-volcano-erupts-triggering-panic

May Jehovah comfort those who may have been affected. :(

People wont suffer if they help one another.