JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library won't download files

All of a sudden, I can't download certain files, like videos. I can't even get the videos for the songs to download. I'm using  Android 4.4.2. I've uninstalled JWL and even tried going back to an earlier version. Still nothing. Any suggestions. 

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

I also had issues with JW Library app. I reformat, reinstall, and delete some but I cant open any bible or publications. It always crashes since last days. Ive send some feedbacks. I hope my experience can help :)

My app still crashes until now. My sister also had some issues with the app today :(

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

On Thursday 16 April, when I found that the brothers had make a minor adjustment to the 'Local needs' portion for the Midweek meeting (MWM) and my Redmi phone still showed the older version, I heeded the advice to update the JW Lib app. Except I didn't know what 'updating' entails. So I simply uninstall the app and install it back. Lo and behold, I found I could no longer download any material on to the app. I was real desperate to set up the downloads because I was going to show an Indonesian student the features on the app. The next day, the app was still not responsive. The young man changed the appointment to the next day because he had some coursework he had to do with his college mates. By Saturday the app was performing perfectly. So I think the brothers in charge of the app was probably doing some housekeeping.

@Dantheman136 It may be that after updating the app on your older device, JW Library's data cache is taking a very very long time to update. Even when it's open, it may take several minutes, 15 minutes or even longer. Or perhaps you ran out of storage space? You're using quite an old version of Android from 2013. I remember using it on my first tablet, the Nexus 7 2012. I've also seen a lot of 'random' crashes and errors caused in tablets that old due to degradation of the flash memory or bugs in Android that have since been fixed.

Try manually powering down and restarting the tablet, close everything else running in the background like notifications and updates, opening JW Library, starting a manual update/cache check, then leaving it for half an hour.

3 hours ago, M'Awan said:

Except I didn't know what 'updating' entails. So I simply uninstall the app and install it back.

Sister, if you need help by what the update means for our application, I can try explain how some of it works.

There are two kinds of update that the JWL does. One is the publication list update, and the other is the application update. By updating What’s New section, (i.e. publication list) you also will be able to update any changed publication. So if you want to download or update a publication, you simply need to do a list update; and no need for complete app update or uninstall.

You can do this by clicking the little recycle icon in the Home tab. (The location of the icon may differ from device to device.) If the What’s New list does not update after this, try to download a new, random file from the What’s New section, and then delete it.

jwlp.1.jpg.36de05037a3eb1c9d0ecb18812d076d2.jpg

As for app update, it’s done differently depending what kind of mobile device you use. So it may be better for you to check with the related mobile help center on “how to update application downloaded from the store.” In Android, you can update all application on your device simply by visiting Play Store.

If all else fails, go to your Publications, go to Books, select the Teach Us book and click on the "3-dots" and choose "Delete".  When the book deletes, exit the program, wait a minute, re-open the app and go back to Publications, Books and scroll down to the Teach Us book.  It will show that it is not installed. Select the book and choose download (the little cloud).  It should reload the book.  Once you have done this, you can try other publications or media.  Generally it "wakes-up" the file downloader and allows the materrial to download.

You can choose anything to delete and reload, but in case it is something you have highlighted choose anoth publication (like a tract).  Just make sure it is a regular, common one.  If it does not work, exit the app again, reboot the device, open the app again and retry.  I have used this about 100 times and it has worked every time but once.

In Android, you can update all application on your device simply by visiting Play Store.

Thank you Brother Minwoo for taking the trouble to explain so well how to update Publication List. But as regarding the application update, do you mean that I just uninstall and then go to Playstore and reinstall the JWLib app?  

jwlp.1.jpg.36de05037a3eb1c9d0ecb18812d076d2.jpg

Ok, I see the icon that is on the right hand corner on the top. I also tried it and it worked. I must have tried this icon before but didn't know the function. I find bumbling around the site quite useful instead of having to ask around for help. Uncle Google can also be quite helpful except that it only reinforces the fact that elderly ones like me are quite inept at following instructions. 

Recently I had to google on how to change a gas cylinder. Probably I will have to consult Google the next time my gas supply for my stove runs dry. Repetition for emphasis. In the end had to wait for hubby to change it. Duh!

9 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

But as regarding the application update, do you mean that I just uninstall and then go to Playstore and reinstall the JWLib app?

For updates, there is no need to uninstall JWL. I would say you should only try re-installing app as a final resort.

If you are using a Redmi phone, it is likely that it uses Android interface.

First, start the application called “Play Store.” (This is also where you would install JWLibrary.) After that, go to the section named: “My Apps & Games.” Here, you will see a prompt to manually update any apps on your phone, including JWL. I hope this helped..

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-update-apps-on-android

Android: How to update apps both manually and automatically.

https://devicehelp.singtel.com/xiaomi/redmi-4a-android-6-0/apps-and-media/turn-automatic-update-of-apps-on-or-off/

How to turn on Automatic App Update on Play Store

It may be that after updating the app on your older device

Sorry for intruding Brother Alex on the terrace, my phone is just 4 months old and it's gave me trouble over the update issue. I didn't even bother to find out what Android version it is. It is a good thing I lost my old phone (a hand me down from hubby) in January 2020. 

My router got fried due to lightning last month and I was unable to use the house wifi for a few days. I now installed a surge protector. The service provider didn't want to come inside the house on account of the 'shelter in place' order and hubby had to go in and out a few times to install the new modem

I couldn't believe it was lightning that caused the damage. I didn't hear any thunder, just heavy downpour. So much suffering on top of the MCO.

Grateful for all the help from all the brothers here. I had better go for a free course at Coursera to upgrade my brain a bit. It's mightily damaged. Need a reboot.

You can choose anything to delete and reload, but in case it is something you have highlighted choose anoth publication (like a tract).

Brother John, last week when I had the update issue, the only files that was available for downloads were the tracts, nothing else. As a result, I had to endure my Friday night Midweek meeting without any material for reference. I must now print out a physical copy of the program in future, in ensure I don't get wrong footed again.  Of course I could go to google for help but it was gobbling up my credit. At that time I didn't think about the other option. Becoming too reliant on the app. 

I have the same difficulty on my tablet, I can only download some publications. I just updated JW Library but the problem continues.
I think the error is due to the Android version
The error mentioned above occurs on my tablet (android version 4.4.2) but my phone (android version 6.0) the JW Library works perfectly.

3 hours ago, M'Awan said:

Brother John, last week when I had the update issue, the only files that was available for downloads were the tracts, nothing else. As a result, I had to endure my Friday night Midweek meeting without any material for reference. I must now print out a physical copy of the program in future, in ensure I don't get wrong footed again.  Of course I could go to google for help but it was gobbling up my credit. At that time I didn't think about the other option. Becoming too reliant on the app. 

It doesn't matter what you choose to delete (book, tract, Watchtower, etc.)  It just requires that you deleted something and immediately re-install it.  A tract will work.  This process just gets the attention of the server's download system.  Once you have replaced the deleted file, it realizes thast there are more files waiting.  This action has worked almost all of the times we have tried it.  I used it this month.  It costs nothing to try (unless the tract does not reload).

I have discovered that the only place my JW Library (PC version) will download videos or audio files is to an external hard drive. That is, providing I have the external hard drive plugged into the laptop... If it is not plugged in, JW Library tells me there is nowhere to download files to.

477604369_Nodownloadlocationavailable.JPG.de6548d11e196475c0ef48c7ac4f9de2.JPG

I think that the problem is that my C drive is a SSD. It doesn't seem to recognize it as a storage medium. Has anyone else had that problem?

Edited by Sheep

Used smaller screenshot pic

That sounds plausible, but it may depend on the make and/or the model of the SSD drive. I have a 1TB SSD drive made by Samsung and have never run into any downloading issues.

Is the SSD drive the only HD in your system? Or is it used as the startup drive with the OS on it and you have another SATA HD that contains the rest of your programs and your data? Many laptops are are configured this way as are some desktops.

I have the SSD (the C drive), which contains the OS and all programs, apps (including JW Library), and data. I also have an external hard drive (non-SSD) for backup. If that drive is connected, JW Library will download there. It will create folders if they're not there already.

The SSD in question is similar to yours (readout from Speccy😞

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SSD)
    Manufacturer    SAMSUNG
    Heads    16
    Cylinders    121,601
    Tracks    31,008,255
    Sectors    1,953,520,065
    SATA type    SATA-III 6.0Gb/s
    Device type    Fixed
    Serial Number    S3Z8NB0M600238A
    Firmware Version Number    RVT03B6Q
    LBA Size    48-bit LBA
    Power On Count    92 times
    Power On Time    20.0 days
    Speed    Not used (SSD Drive)
    Features    S.M.A.R.T., NCQ, TRIM, SSD
    Max. Transfer Mode    SATA III 6.0Gb/s
    Used Transfer Mode    SATA III 6.0Gb/s
    Interface    SATA
    Capacity    931 GB
    Real size    1,000,204,886,016 bytes
    RAID Type    None

Edited by Sheep

I do not believe JW Library supports subtitles. I've been looking for a way to do that for years.

It does. In iOS you must go to Settings>Accessibility>Subtitles & Captioning.

When this is switched on, subtitles will be shown within JW Library.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I have had accessibility captions turned on with my Android phones and tablets for years, I do right now, and this has never worked. I don't see them on my Windows laptop or desktop either.

I have had accessibility captions turned on with my Android phones and tablets for years, I do right now, and this has never worked. I don't see them on my Windows laptop or desktop either.

I’m not sure what you need to do in Android. I know it works in iOS.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 4/20/2020 at 3:51 PM, Sheep said:

I have discovered that the only place my JW Library (PC version) will download videos or audio files is to an external hard drive. That is, providing I have the external hard drive plugged into the laptop... If it is not plugged in, JW Library tells me there is nowhere to download files to.

477604369_Nodownloadlocationavailable.JPG.de6548d11e196475c0ef48c7ac4f9de2.JPG

I think that the problem is that my C drive is a SSD. It doesn't seem to recognize it as a storage medium. Has anyone else had that problem?

Hhmm. Okay, so it's not a SSD problem? According to a post in another topic, the above problem was fixed in today's update. But I still can't find a place to download anything.

Anybody have another idea?