JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

On a personal note, I lost my brother (my only sibling) aged 71 to lung cancer Stage IV. >10 years ago. He was >20 years my senior. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/11/10/cancer-health-care-reporter-229889

I am 32 years old and I am going through menopause. It’s temporary, and I chose to endure it when I got a life-threatening breast cancer diagnosis a year ago. But it’s a lot worse than I expected.......

Now I realize what the cancer club really is. It’s a real network of patients who pass advice to one another—in my experience, over social media—about how to pick treatment programs and how to deal with their side effects. (My favorite cancer club recommendation? Taking Claritin to help with bone pain caused by a drug intended to keep my white blood cell count up so that I can keep receiving chemotherapy. Also, ginger candies.)

Secondary2_glorioso_devine.jpg

Edited by M'Awan

@M.J. Sorry I was merely quoting from a Politico news article. I'm afraid I didn't make it clear because forgot to put the text in the quote box.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/13-ways-sugary-soda-is-bad-for-you#section10   February 8, 2019

1 Soda Drinkers Have a Higher Risk of Cancer

Cancer tends to go hand-in-hand with other chronic diseases like obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.

For this reason, it is unsurprising to see that sugary drinks are frequently associated with an increased risk of cancer.

One study in over 60,000 adults discovered that those who drank 2 or more sugary sodas per week were 87% more likely to develop pancreatic cancer than those who did not drink soda (51 Trusted Source).

Another study on pancreatic cancer found a strong link in women — but not men (52).

Postmenopausal women who drink a lot of sugary soda may also be at greater risk for endometrial cancer, or cancer of the inner lining of the uterus (53 ).

What’s more, sugar-sweetened beverage intake is linked to cancer recurrence and death in patients with colorectal cancer (54 ).

SUMMARY   Observational studies suggest that sugar-sweetened beverages are linked to an increased risk of cancer.

2. Sugar Drastically Increases Belly Fat Accumulation

High sugar intake is associated with weight gain.

In particular, fructose is linked to a significant increase in the dangerous fat around your belly and organs. This is known as visceral fat or belly fat (15).

Excessive belly fat is tied to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease (16).

In one 10-week study, 32 healthy people consumed beverages sweetened with either fructose or glucose (18)

Those who consumed glucose had an increase in skin fat — which is not linked to metabolic disease — while those who consumed fructose saw their belly fat significantly increase.

SUMMARY   High consumption of fructose makes you accumulate belly fat, a dangerous type of fat linked to metabolic disease.

Edited by M'Awan

is-sugar-addictive-drug-03-Bjork_UPDATED2.jpg?h=1470

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/experts-is-sugar-addictive-drug

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is a key part of the “reward circuit” associated with addictive behavior. When a certain behavior causes an excess release of dopamine, you feel a pleasurable “high” that you are inclined to re-experience, and so repeat the behavior.

As you repeat that behavior more and more, your brain adjusts to release less dopamine. The only way to feel the same “high” as before is to repeat the behavior in increasing amounts and frequency. This is known as substance misuse.

Cassie Bjork, RD, LD, founder of Healthy Simple Life, states that sugar can be even more addicting than cocaine

“Sugar activates the opiate receptors in our brain and affects the reward center, which leads to compulsive behavior, despite the negative consequences like weight gain, headaches, hormone imbalances, and more.”

Bjork adds, “Every time we eat sweets, we are reinforcing those neuropathways, causing the brain to become increasingly hardwired to crave sugar, building up a tolerance like any other drug.”

Dr. Alan Greene, a children’s health and wellness expert and the author of books like “Raising Baby Green” and “Feeding Baby Green.”

But whether sugar is more addictive than cocaine, researchers and nutritionists suggest that sugar has addictive properties, and we need to be getting less of it.

• 3 months later...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sponsor-story/pharmacyclics-and-janssen-oncology/2019/11/14/reflecting-her-blood-cancer-diagnosis-woman-chooses-live-life-positivity/1988565001/

With several options laid out for her by her doctor, Betty (aged 74) decided to also do some research on her own and visited ClinicalTrials.gov, where she searched for information on clinical trials related to CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia)‒ a choice that ended up making a real difference in her cancer treatment plan. It was through this resource that she found out about a clinical trial that was using ibrutinib, then an investigational oral treatment, now known as IMBRUVICA®.3  

IMBRUVICA works differently than chemotherapy by inhibiting the Bruton’s tyrosine kinase (BTK) protein in B cells, which helps prevent these cells from growing and spreading out of control. Up until recently, chemotherapy was commonly the first treatment option available for CLL. After reviewing the information, she called the doctor listed as the clinical trial’s investigator as soon as she could. 

“I’ve taken more of an interest in reading what’s going on in the world,” Betty said. If she gets worried about something, she spends time outdoors to help put things back in perspective. “You have a choice in life,” she reflected. She chooses to bask in the sun, enjoying the little moments.

Edited by Mclove

highlight the year

• 5 months later...

https://wonderfulengineering.com/difficult-detect-cancer-time-explained-expert/

image.thumb.png.cac85bb7c01cd7eaa012e57f5eda43ba.png

The expert said that research has been done on ovarian cancer and a test will soon be available for detection of the same. Other organs will also be getting their own screening tests. The human genome project resulted in the latest screening test called the Oncoblot test and it screens for 25 of the most common cancers

Google’s New Augmented Reality Device Can Now Detect Cancer

May 7, 2018

Edited by Mclove

Just curious, what is the theme of this thread?

• Is it about support for those who have endured cancer?
  • Is it about treatments for cancer
  • Is it about sugar or cancer?

I ask as a cancer survivor ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Anything to do with cancer, Brother John. I think I did get carried away at times. 

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2020/10/20/sugar-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/

There’s no evidence that following a “sugar-free” diet lowers the risk of getting cancer, or boosts the chances of surviving if you are diagnosed. 

Edited by Mclove