JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How much weight did you put on during the pandemic months? How to lose it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/24/well/move/exercise-appetite-weight.html#commentsContainer

The comments section seems to be more helpful in learning how to lose weight gained during the Covid months.

Spoiler

A comment from NYTimes reader

//  Antibiotics cause weight gain, that has been know for decades. I think the rise in obesity (especially in children) tracks with the rise in antibiotic use throughout the world. Research has also shown that some air pollutants are obesogenic. Exercise and diet certainly can help but I think there are other widespread contributors to look at.

Do Antibiotics Cause Weight Gain (drruscio.com)

Now, that being said, there is definitely literature showing that antibiotic use, especially early in life, in infants, does put them at higher risk for negative metabolic consequences for the rest of their life.

Edited by happiness IS

During the pandemic I LOST 2 stone (28 pound) - that was between march 2020 and January 2021

Then i have gradually out every single pound back on!!🤣

Since the announcements about starting to resume in person meetings I have been dieting again though! I hope to have shed a few before we go back!!

1 hour ago, happiness IS said:

there is definitely literature showing that antibiotic use, especially early in life, in infants, does put them at higher risk for negative metabolic consequences for the rest of their life.

I have been in a few naturalist forums on methods of growing.  In one there happened to be a rancher who claimed one benefit of low dose antibiotics was to HELP his young cattle to beef up!   <<punny!   I asked him if he thought that the antibiotic residue that becomes a part of beef products might then cause similar weight gain in people who eat them?   He stopped participating in the group after that question.  Since it was a science group and not a social chat area he might have expected this line of question.  I would have liked an answer. Antibiotic residue CAN change gut flora.

I was having severe food issues with meat products after a severe illness and only learned of this possibility after asking Goggle "Why can't I eat meat, milk or eggs?"   A couple crazy pages later (that I seriously doubted could even be true) I tested them out by finding meat "raised w/o hormones and antibiotics" and suddenly I had food choices that did not put me in agony!  Turns out my issue came about after being given the black boxed antibiotic CIPRO( it's a "fluoridated antibiotic")  and what is used in Cattle and other meat animals is closely related. The largest antibiotic use in the US is in the food chain.  Almost 10 years to repair stomach and had to become much more selective in food choices.  I also learned to not judge the crazy folks without "getting down and looking them in the eye" as now I had become one of THEM   lol

After asking Goggle "Why can't I eat meat, milk or eggs?" in 2009 the owners of Goggle have seriously invested in the Pharma Industry and now the algorithms will steer (<<another pun!)  you far from this information!   Now that I know what to ask I can find the information but Jehovah help people (desperate people) to know what they need to eat safely.  BTW I eat way less meat now...  Happily and healthfully grown animals are more expensive to raise and bring to market and quite rare.  I had a few vegetarian years where I learned very satisfying savory food choices but generally "imitation meats" are rife with chemicals and pollution histories one would not expect.

Antibiotics May Kill Off Healthy Bacteria in the Gut | Health.com

https://www.health.com › Digestive Health

Nov 17, 2008 — "After the volunteers took Cipro, the gut-bug populations looked a lot different. Overall, 30% of the bacterial types showed dramatic changes"