JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Health Tips for one's well being

https://shop.truefitness.com/resources/5-basic-benefits-of-stretching-after-waking-up/

Some people work overnight shifts, so they sleep during the day, whereas some people work during the day and get their sleep at night. Therefore, understand that stretching can be done whenever you “wake up” for the day, or even when you wake up from a short resting period like a nap.

By taking a quick 5 to 10 minutes at the start of your day to do basic stretches, you are not only waking your brain up, but your body.

1. Gets The Blood Flowing & Your Mind Stimulated

During sleep, your brain and muscles are at rest. In order to fully function, you need to get blood flowing throughout your body and into your brain              and stretching will help increase blood flow. Stretching first thing after waking up will encourage the body to perform better in everyday activities,              including physical exercise. Plus, after lying down for a long period of time can take away any stiffness because it is elongating the muscles.

Edited by Mclove

https://www.bupa.co.uk/newsroom/ourviews/waking-up-stretching

The routine below will take you through 10 simple stretches. They begin lying in your bed, and finish with your feet planted firmly on the floor – so you’re ready to take on the day ahead.

Hold each stretch for 15-20 seconds and repeat each one two to three times, especially if your muscles and joints feel tight.

Stretches in bed

2. Knees-to-chest

Lying flat on your back, bring one knee to your chest and hold it in position with your arms or hands. You should feel a nice                stretch in your lower back. If it feels comfortable, you can also do this stretch by bending both knees at the same time.

Illustration of a knee to chest stretch

Day 1. 😉

35 minutes ago, Mclove said:

https://shop.truefitness.com/resources/5-basic-benefits-of-stretching-after-waking-up/

Some people work overnight shifts, so they sleep during the day, whereas some people work during the day and get their sleep at night. Therefore, understand that stretching can be done whenever you “wake up” for the day, or even when you wake up from a short resting period like a nap.

By taking a quick 5 to 10 minutes at the start of your day to do basic stretches, you are not only waking your brain up, but your body.

1. Gets The Blood Flowing & Your Mind Stimulated

During sleep, your brain and muscles are at rest. In order to fully function, you need to get blood flowing throughout your body and into your brain              and stretching will help increase blood flow. Stretching first thing after waking up will encourage the body to perform better in everyday activities,              including physical exercise. Plus, after lying down for a long period of time can take away any stiffness because it is elongating the muscles.

And all my life I was thinking that coffee replaces all of that...silly me...LOL :facepalmpo2:But hold on...when I stretch my arm to get my coffee.. does this count? :whistling:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Oh yes if you're a relative of Elastigirl. aka Helen Parr/Mrs Incredible. She can stretch any part of her body up to 300 feet (90 meters) and can be 1 mm thin. She can also reshape her body in a variety of ways. In the movie she becomes a parachute and a rubber boat, and has used her arms for swings and a slingshot.

How handy!

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/understanding-antioxidants

News articles, advertisements, and food labels often tout antioxidant benefits such as slowing aging, fending off heart disease, improving flagging vision, and curbing cancer. And laboratory studies and many large-scale observational studies (those that query people about their eating habits and supplement use and then track their disease patterns) have noted antioxidant benefits from diets rich in them, particularly those coming from a broad range of colorful vegetables and fruits. But results from randomized controlled trials of antioxidant supplements (in which people are assigned to take specific nutrient supplements or a placebo) have not supported many of these claims. Indeed, too much of these antioxidant supplements won't help you and may even harm you. It is better to supply your antioxidants from a well-rounded diet.

GettyImages-693617574.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/fashion/this-is-your-skin-on-stress.html?  Dec. 8, 2020

Dr. Ciraldo (a dermatologist and founder of the Dr Loretta skin-care line) recommends removing barrier-degrading ingredients like glycolic acid, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide and retinol from your stress skin routine. “They are very drying, and they really do deplete the normal, healthy barrier function,” she said.

Dr. Bowe advises that you avoid any leave-on products with essential oils in them, because they can cause irritation. “A lot of people think they’re calming and soothing, but for the skin, that’s not the case,” she said.

Exceptions can be made for barrier-boosting ingredients, like glycolipids , fatty acids  and ceramides 

Exercise increases antioxidants, as well. (Behold, the body produces yet another popular skin-care ingredient on its own.*) It lowers cortisol levels, meaning fewer breakouts and a stronger skin barrier. And if you’re exercising outdoors? Even better.

* Your body's cells naturally produce some powerful antioxidants, such as alpha lipoic acid (ALA) and glutathione.

Edited by Mclove

On 11/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, New World Explorer said:

And all my life I was thinking that coffee replaces all of that...silly me...LOL :facepalmpo2:But hold on...when I stretch my arm to get my coffee.. does this count? :whistling:

Hahaha cafesthenics instead of calesthenics! I'm with you there.

Great topic for a thread!
I just started Wii fit, and it made me aware of how not fit I am. 😫

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My father-in-law and his brother both suffer from morbid obesity. My son is the only one of FIL's children or grandchildren who seems to have inherited the defective genes. At 32 he was already diabetic and having high blood pressure. I just hope he doesn't end up being morbidly obese. Late FIL also had nose cancer. Therefore my intense interest in knowing how to lose weight and overcome health issues.

Fat-shaming is as disgusting as any other prejudice ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/parenting/the-best-hiit-workout-you-can-do-in-15-minutes

High intensity interval exercises

Sprint: If you have stairs in your house, go up and down them as fast as you can for 60 seconds. No stairs? How about hallways? Or down the driveway and back. Or a sidewalk dash. Yes, you might have to leave the premise for this one, but it’s the best way to maximize the burn. 

Cool down: 60 seconds (slow walking, gentle stretching)

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/well/move/exercise-microbiome-health-weight-gut-bacteria

Exercise Alters Our Microbiome. Is That One Reason It’s So Good for Us?

Exercise may change the composition and activity of the trillions of microbes in our guts in ways that could improve our health and metabolisms over time, a new study finds.

The results provide novel insights into how exercise can affect even those portions of our bodies that seem uninvolved in workouts, perhaps providing another nudge to stick with our exercise resolutions this year.

1 hour ago, Dove said:

I think the rebounder would be good in this way, and many ways...

also easy and accessible when locked in..

And it’s easy on the joints!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

You're absolutely right sisters. I didn't know mini trampolines were called rebounders. I found one a few years back dumped in the playground 100 meters from my house. It was in prime condition. I couldn't haul other exercise equipment home because they were too heavy. 

Here’s some info on the claimed benefits of rebounding. https://draxe.com/fitness/trampoline-workout/

He has some tips on getting started. There’s also videos on YouTube you can do workouts to. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Dry skin brushing can have great skin benefits 😊

2 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Dry skin brushing can have great skin benefits 😊

Sister Dawn, care to have a look at this old post at Post no. 33.

https://jwtalk.net/topic/39657-sisters-could-you-share-some-of-your-fav-things/page/2/

Recycling old favorites. Loved the picture of the various brushes.

Edited by Mclove

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/well/move/the-best-time-of-day-to-exercise.html?

The Best Time of Day to Exercise

Men at risk for diabetes had greater blood sugar control and lost more belly fat when they exercised in the afternoon than in the morning.

A useful new study of exercise timing and metabolic health suggests that, at least for some people, the answer is a qualified yes. The study, which looked at men at high risk for Type 2 diabetes, found that those who completed afternoon workouts upped their metabolic health far more than those who performed the same exercise earlier in the day

Studies in both animals and people indicate that every tissue in our bodies contains a kind of molecular clock that chimes, in part, in response to biological messages related to our daily exposure to light, food and sleep

Edited by Mclove

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.livestrong.com/article/340975-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-raw-garlic-vs-cooked-garlic/

The Linus Pauling Institute reports that heating garlic cloves whole or immediately after crushing can destroy the sensitive enzyme (alliinase) in garlic that is responsible for producing allicin. However, the health benefits can be partially conserved by crushing garlic and allowing it to stand for 10 minutes prior to cooking. That gives the enzyme time to be released and for allicin to form. Once formed, allicin is relatively heat stable, according to NutritionFacts.org.

071b84e0a1c0dfef74be9536180a00aa.jpg

Edited by Mclove

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/10/28/haiken-another-reason-go-paperless-every-receipt-you-touch-toxic

A hormone disruptor that mimics and interferes with estrogen and testosterone, BPA is used as a heat-activated ink developer in the production of thermal receipts, such as those dispensed from cash registers, gas pumps, and ATMs. The process is even used to print airline tickets.

Our devotion to lotion isn’t helping. Sunscreen, hand sanitizers, and other personal care products contain chemicals that help pierce the skin ("dermal penetration enhancers," to use industry-speak). Think about how often you use hand products and how often you touch food immediately after touching a receipt, and it's easy to see how they provide BPA a direct route into the body.

cash register receipts, thermal paper, BPA,Bisphenol A

Consider these scenarios, all of which were observed by the researchers in a study conducted in restaurants and food courts in a Columbia, Missouri, shopping mall. In one, you pay for your food and receive a receipt, which you touch before taking your food. In a second scenario, common in many fast-food restaurants, there is a dispenser of hand sanitizer on the counter, which you use before taking the receipt and your food. In a third scenario, common in take-out restaurants, the receipt is stapled to the folded top of the bag, right where your hand rests as you carry it.

All three scenarios provide a direct route for BPA (Bisphenol A) into your fingertips.

Edited by Mclove

• 3 months later...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/647221/how-to-wash-dirty-underwear-to-kill-bacteria

Sorry, But Your Freshly Washed Undies Are Full of Bacteria  JUNE 4, 2021

The Good Housekeeping Institute reports that freshly laundered underwear still contains as many as 10,000 living bacteria. A study led by microbiologist Dr. Charles Gerba puts it in more colorful terms, claiming that the average pair of clean undies contains up to a 10th of a gram of feces.

Keep your underwear drawer as sanitary as possible, throw away any items that you've been wearing for a year or more and replace them with fresh pairs.

With undergarments you're wearing regularly, you can reduce germ buildup by washing them in hot water (at least 140°F/60°C) with bleach. Letting them dry in the sun is another good way to kill bacteria

Edited by happiness IS

How to Prevent Knee Pain

image.png.e4d86a146f5f11a257ddf79fab8128ec.png

A foam roller is a terrific, low-cost option that can be used at home to improve flexibility and reduce pain through a process known as myofascial release.

How to Roll Your Knee

The Hamstrings Roll

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/a-guide-to-your-knees

Edited by happiness IS

• 11 months later...

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-many-times-should-you-chew-your-food#benefits

Benefits of chewing food slowly

Experts say that the faster you eat, the more food you will tend to eat. Chewing your food many times at a slower pace can reduce your overall food intake.

In one study, 30 healthy women consumed meals at different paces. The women who ate slower consumed significantly less food yet felt fuller than those who ate quicker.

In another study, chewing more during mealtime was found to reduce snacking on candies later in the day.

Besides weight control, experts say that chewing your food properly can also help increase the amount of nutrients you get out of your food. In one study, experts found that chewing almonds between 25 and 40 times not only suppressed hunger but also increased people’s ability to absorb nutrients from the almonds.

Gregg Braden - How to Unlock Certain Mechanisms to Bring Health & Longevity Into Your Life

Transcript :

I was looking into the eyes of a woman who's 120 years old she did not look like 120 years old. She lived in a single room she walked to the river every morning down the hillside to bring up the water, she grew a lot of her own food : basil tomatoes, herbs that she would eat every day in a very very minimal diet, She was good healthy strong and vital

Well interestingly I asked her what  was her secret and she looked at me  and she said one word 'compassion' She said that's what we learn in these ...

Edited by happiness IS

spelling for basil