JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's for dinner?

Today, I am making fårikål.

This was once voted Norway's national dish. Have I written about this one before?

Very easy recipe:

2 kg lamb pieces with bone and flesh

2 kg cabbage in chunks.

400 ml water

3 teaspoons whole black pepper

2-3 ts salt

(Two-three drizzles of wheat flour)

Served with potatoes, boiled separately.

You need a pot that is approx 5L or bigger.

Layer lamb and cabbage alternating. Salt/pepper(/flour) between layers.

Add (heated) water. Bring to boil, and then let simmer for 4 hours. Check/"stir" after a couple of hours.

Serve with potatoes. Do NOT cook the potatoes in the same pot, it will steal all the flavour.

This is a dish that is better the next day :D

Very easy to make, takes time (but little effort) to cook. Exercise patience.

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

4 minutes ago, Tronora said:

Today, I am making fårikål.

This was once voted Norway's national dish. Have I written about this one before?

Very easy recipe:

2 kg lamb pieces with bone and flesh

2 kg cabbage in chunks.

400 ml water

3 teaspoons whole black pepper

2-3 ts salt

(Two-three drizzles of wheat flour)

Served with potatoes, boiled separately.

You need a pot that is approx 5L or bigger.

Layer lamb and cabbage alternating. Salt/pepper(/flour) between layers.

Add (heated) water. Bring to boil, and then let simmer for 4 hours. Check/"stir" after a couple of hours.

Serve with potatoes. Do NOT cook the potatoes in the same pot, it will steal all the flavour.

This is a dish that is better the next day :D

Very easy to make, takes time (but little effort) to cook. Exercise patience.

4 hours? I can't conceive making any dish that would take more than 1 hour to cook.

24 minutes ago, truce said:

4 hours? I can't conceive making any dish that would take more than 1 hour to cook.

I just checked on in now ... after over an hour it is faaaar from cooked.

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

On 9/15/2023 at 9:01 AM, truce said:

I take it you haven't used a slow cooker? Low and slow bring out flavor as well as tenderness, unless you use pressure. I make bone broth, I've cooked it for up to 24 hours.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

19 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

I take it you haven't used a slow cooker? Low and slow bring out flavor as well as tenderness, unless you use pressure. I make bone broth, I've cooked it for up to 24 hours.

Ive made bone broth and when some of the friends had COVID, given it to them. It's very good for you. 

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

1 minute ago, ChrisW said:

Ive made bone broth and when some of the friends had COVID, given it to them. It's very good for you. 

I use broth in so many things. I also use it for homemade dog food. She laps it up.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 8/15/2023 at 6:36 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Question for you folks. I'm looking on Pintetest to find a recipe for fried egg rolls. I'd like to make pork or chicken. I found a few but being a novice I'd like to hear from you folks who've made them, successfully (😄). 

My grandgirl said she'd like to make a bunch and freeze them, she has stomach issues and this is something she can eat that doesn't hurt so I'd love to learn so I can teach her.

Ok, answered my own question today. I got up the nerve to make them. Pork, cabbage, julienne carrot and onion. I was afraid of the rice wrappers so I opted for the wheat ones. It went well. Next time I'll get brave and do the rice. I made a wonderfully smooth keto sweet n sour dipping sauce, its better than any commercially prepared sauce ever.

These were 2 recipes I found on Pinterest, anyone wants them just ask.

15 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Ok, answered my own question today. I got up the nerve to make them. Pork, cabbage, julienne carrot and onion. I was afraid of the rice wrappers so I opted for the wheat ones. It went well. Next time I'll get brave and do the rice. I made a wonderfully smooth keto sweet n sour dipping sauce, its better than any commercially prepared sauce ever.

These were 2 recipes I found on Pinterest, anyone wants them just ask.

Would love if you shared some pictures of the meal. 

22 hours ago, truce said:

Would love if you shared some pictures of the meal. 

Sweet n sour and a whole batch of egg rolls. It took a pound and a half of pork (sausage), 1 head of napa cabbage and 3 carrots. What a bargain.

sweet n sour (1331 x 748).jpg

Spring Rolls (748 x 1331).jpg

https://thehiddenveggies.com/sweet-and-sour-sauce/#recipe

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Tamari
  • 1/4 cup water or pineapple juice
  • 1 clove garlic minced (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger (optional)

I filtered out the garlic and ginger, didn't want chunks in it. and I used keto brown sugar instead of regular sugar.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have. I learned this from an older gentleman when I was 16 and working in a restaurant. It's delish.

You can, should, do this with a steak too. A chef I know grills the steak to a nice rare then puts it in a sauce pan with a blob of butter for 5 minutes. Best steak ever!

• 1 month later...

I remember how you love that dish, once during family worship you were enjoying a bowl full 😃.

I had 2 couples join me for dinner last night. Because we all have different ways of eating I made baked potatoes with a big assortment of toppings so all could choose for themselves. Lovely evening, swapped stories and recipes as 2 of them were Norwegian. 

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

I remember how you love that dish, once during family worship you were enjoying a bowl full 😃.

I had 2 couples join me for dinner last night. Because we all have different ways of eating I made baked potatoes with a big assortment of toppings so all could choose for themselves. Lovely evening, swapped stories and recipes as 2 of them were Norwegian. 

Yeah, that was jollof rice. Same dish today but with a sprinkling of beans. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 9:45 AM, DancesWithWife said:

If this has been covered, my apologies. Has anyone ever had a butter burger? 

We make them at home but my husband would take three pats frozen butter and seal them between two seasoned HB patties pressing the edges of the HB patties all tgr way around. He used Hellmans mayo or homemade mayo to toast the buns and would spoon butter and worchestershire over patties as they cooked. I liked the tomato thin sliced and crisp lettuce on mine while he just had meat and cheese. 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!