JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's for dinner?

Have always wanted to try this. I have chicken to thaw so I'm going to make it tomorrow. I'll see if I can get fresh green beans to go with it as well as the beefy rice with peas and carrots I cooked yesterday. 

https://pin.it/3XKCEtb

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, LeslieDean said:

Chicken enchiladas

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

Spoiler

image.png.88820864de9217b6a28862f781c2a9e3.png

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/4 cup chili powder 

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

2 cups chicken or vegetable stock

fine sea salt, to taste

Edited by Imagine

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/nigerian-fried-chicken-tough-bird-5221724

Spoiler

When It Comes to Nigerian Fried Chicken, the Tougher the Bird the Better

Growing up in Lagos Nigeria, fried chicken was a Sunday staple in my home. ... We made the chicken by slow-cooking it in a slew of spices before deep frying. 

Agricultural entrepreneur and poultry farmer, Umar Ga explains that this toughness comes from the age of the chicken and how it is reared. “In our system, our chickens are allowed to roam around the farm, self-sustaining, and so they grow naturally slowly and by the time they are ready to sell, they are matured,” he shares. 

This toughness, which may be off putting to some, fits perfectly into Nigerian cuisine. You see, many Nigerian meals are rewardingly laborious—dishes can take several hours and a multitude of processes to make. And so this chicken, tough as it is, complements traditional Nigerian cooking methods, because its toughness allows it to stew for hours without crumbling under the heat. This process builds an irreplicable flavor and creates a stock that serves as a base for other meals such as our infamous jollof rice.

British Nigerian Chef Akudo Agokei says, “it’s quite weird isn't it? Most other cultures marinate raw chicken in spices first, then batter and deep fry. But our process of cooking prior to frying allows a semi-dry chicken to be covered in a thin liquid coating of cooked spices and it's own fat (if cooked with the skin), which is then deep fried at high temperatures, causing a maillard reaction that creates a flavor that is so finger-licking good."

Interesting how the writer said they used free range chicken. An old hen would make a dish more flavorful. Br. Tega, your fried chicken looked so enticing.

4 hours ago, Imagine said:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/nigerian-fried-chicken-tough-bird-5221724

Reveal hidden contents

When It Comes to Nigerian Fried Chicken, the Tougher the Bird the Better

Growing up in Lagos Nigeria, fried chicken was a Sunday staple in my home. ... We made the chicken by slow-cooking it in a slew of spices before deep frying. 

Agricultural entrepreneur and poultry farmer, Umar Ga explains that this toughness comes from the age of the chicken and how it is reared. “In our system, our chickens are allowed to roam around the farm, self-sustaining, and so they grow naturally slowly and by the time they are ready to sell, they are matured,” he shares. 

This toughness, which may be off putting to some, fits perfectly into Nigerian cuisine. You see, many Nigerian meals are rewardingly laborious—dishes can take several hours and a multitude of processes to make. And so this chicken, tough as it is, complements traditional Nigerian cooking methods, because its toughness allows it to stew for hours without crumbling under the heat. This process builds an irreplicable flavor and creates a stock that serves as a base for other meals such as our infamous jollof rice.

British Nigerian Chef Akudo Agokei says, “it’s quite weird isn't it? Most other cultures marinate raw chicken in spices first, then batter and deep fry. But our process of cooking prior to frying allows a semi-dry chicken to be covered in a thin liquid coating of cooked spices and it's own fat (if cooked with the skin), which is then deep fried at high temperatures, causing a maillard reaction that creates a flavor that is so finger-licking good."

Interesting how the writer said they used free range chicken. An old hen would make a dish more flavorful. Br. Tega, your fried chicken looked so enticing.

Thanks so much. It's actually fried turkey: my first time. Made turkey stew and had it with rice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My grand girl loves potatoes, its one of a few things that doesn't bother her stomach. So I made a few things today that will keep in the freezer and will provide some goodies for a while. I made Scalloped Potatoes with ham, Shepherds Pie and Clam Chowder- probably the best chowder I've ever made. I added more bacon and butter and used heavy cream instead of 1/2 1/2 and flour. The scalloped potato I used cream of chicken soup instead of a flour/butter sauce which I'll not do again, though I may try cream of mushroom instead.

For my recipes I used my mom's 1970's Better Homes and Gardens cook book. I usually look up recipes on-line but I thought I'd go old school this time. I also found a recipe for chocolate oatmeal cookies with peanuts and currents (I had some I need to use up). Boy are they good.

My next adventure is Buried Cherry Cookie https://www.food.com/recipe/buried-cherry-cookies-263855

Sausage Stuffing with pork chops https://www.spendwithpennies.com/sausage-stuffing/casserole(748x1331).thumb.jpg.a98055e435dbed0f8d5954636b900bbd.jpgchowder(748x1331).thumb.jpg.f085b0f8e392384a670383f067948e11.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

17 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

I made Scalloped Potatoes with ham, Shepherds Pie and Clam Chowder- probably the best chowder I've ever made.

What's your address? :eat:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Asele said:

Fufu and Egusi soup

Spoiler

image.png.f187c78e07985fb5fadb4c184834e2d5.png

Egusi soup and fufu are two iconic dishes in Nigerian cuisine. The rich and flavorful egusi soup, made from ground melon seeds, is a staple in many Nigerian households. Fufu, on the other hand, is a soft and doughy accompaniment made from cassava or plantain flour.

https://recipes.net/articles/how-to-make-egusi-soup-and-fufu/

Ingredients for Egusi Soup:

2 cups of egusi (melon seeds)

1 kg of assorted meat (beef, goat, or chicken)

2 cups of chopped vegetables (spinach, bitter leaf, or pumpkin leaves)

1 onion, chopped

3-4 medium-sized tomatoes, blended

2 tablespoons of palm oil

1-2 tablespoons of ground crayfish....

Wow, great tasting dish.

16 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

My grand girl loves potatoes, its one of a few things that doesn't bother her stomach. So I made a few things today that will keep in the freezer and will provide some goodies for a while. I made Scalloped Potatoes with ham, Shepherds Pie and Clam Chowder- probably the best chowder I've ever made. I added more bacon and butter and used heavy cream instead of 1/2 1/2 and flour. The scalloped potato I used cream of chicken soup instead of a flour/butter sauce which I'll not do again, though I may try cream of mushroom instead.

For my recipes I used my mom's 1970's Better Homes and Gardens cook book. I usually look up recipes on-line but I thought I'd go old school this time. I also found a recipe for chocolate oatmeal cookies with peanuts and currents (I had some I need to use up). Boy are they good.

My next adventure is Buried Cherry Cookie https://www.food.com/recipe/buried-cherry-cookies-263855

Sausage Stuffing with pork chops https://www.spendwithpennies.com/sausage-stuffing/casserole(748x1331).thumb.jpg.a98055e435dbed0f8d5954636b900bbd.jpgchowder(748x1331).thumb.jpg.f085b0f8e392384a670383f067948e11.jpg

Glad you resurrected the life out of this thread with pictures. I wish I could have some. 

I love cooking and NOT posting is more of a problem for me 🤣

I have things to use up in my freezer and pantry as I'm downsizing so cooking for family and friends helps.

A BRep is giving our Memorial talk so we're having a get together Saturday, I have zucchini chocolate chip cookies & zucchini brownies to make for it, using goods from cupboard and freezer. 

On 3/4/2024 at 7:19 PM, bagwell1987 said:

I love cooking and NOT posting is more of a problem for me 🤣

I have things to use up in my freezer and pantry as I'm downsizing so cooking for family and friends helps.

A BRep is giving our Memorial talk so we're having a get together Saturday, I have zucchini chocolate chip cookies & zucchini brownies to make for it, using goods from cupboard and freezer. 

Hospitality always benefits the giver more so than the receivers. 

On 3/6/2024 at 8:43 AM, bagwell1987 said:

I just learned how to make authentic McDonald's hashbrowns so I boiled up about 5 pounds of spuds to make those tomorrow. 

Does it contain the following ingredients?

image.thumb.png.890aba9a74e08226c669851c6d0569ec.png

If not, then they are not authentic. You need those chemicals!

But they will be just much nicer tasting hashbrowns, as everything homemade is usually much better.**

** Unless prepared by my mother, who is known to burn water into leaving ashes at the bottom of the pot (True story - multiple times).

Edited by Pabo

47 minutes ago, Pabo said:

Does it contain the following ingredients?

image.thumb.png.890aba9a74e08226c669851c6d0569ec.png

If not, then they are not authentic. You need those chemicals!

But they will be just much nicer tasting hashbrowns, as everything homemade is usually much better.**

** Unless prepared by my mother, who is known to burn water into leaving ashes at the bottom of the pot (True story - multiple times).

No chemicals in my food! The recipe I have is crunchy and almost identical to the 'mouth-feel' of McD's. So can I say authentic? You bet cha! Only better 🙂