JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Governing Body names

On 7/23/2020 at 4:50 AM, Todd komaniak said:

Old can you please tell us why this is sad

I think it is sad tht we would play with the names of our GB as if they were celebs in the world. IMHO I find it to be demeaning both for them and the one playing with the names. 

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:54 PM, Old said:

I think it is sad tht we would play with the names of our GB as if they were celebs in the world. IMHO I find it to be demeaning both for them and the one playing with the names. 

I have been thinking about this.

It is a hard one...

I know the original post was meant just in good humor. We can't take ourselves too seriously. So I find the humor in the post. I do think it is clever and slightly humorous.

However, I have to agree with @Old in saying that we need to be respectful of these dear Brothers. They are our future Kings. We certainly need to show due respect. I don't know how they would feel if they saw this post. There is certainly some balance that we need to show.

Let us all just use a "sound mind" in our humor and poking fun. The Brothers on the Governing Body certainly poke fun at each other. I don't think the post was meant to demean our dear Brothers in any way. We just need to show respect and honor to them at the same time.

I hope I am not out of place in posting this. I am just a "Member" on this forum. Really just an "average face". Just voicing my thoughts. Please accept it as a humble opinion, nothing more. I just hope it is a balanced opinion. If not, I apologize.

The "play on the names" has been around for several years ... it has even been posted on the forum before and no one objected.

I'm sure the GB has heard their names linked in this fashion - or even seen some of the posts/images/memes 

However, I have not heard any of them mention them or complain about them. That is not to say that we should "poke fun" at the GB ... but it also doesn't mean we should "speak in their behalf" and disparage someone who posts such a connection ... especially since they have not voiced any objections to such humor. Perhaps we should leave it to them to voice such objections.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

The "play on the names" has been around for several years ... it has even been posted on the forum before and no one objected.

I'm sure the GB has heard their names linked in this fashion - or even seen some of the posts/images/memes 

However, I have not heard any of them mention them or complain about them. That is not to say that we should "poke fun" at the GB ... but it also doesn't mean we should "speak in their behalf" and disparage someone who posts such a connection ... especially since they have not voiced any objections to such humor. Perhaps we should leave it to them to voice such objections.

I get the concern people have, but I've held the opposite view, and that not willing to have a light joke about such a minor thing like a pun on names, in my mind, is akin to idolatry and worshipping men. Whilst they are the GB, they are not our gods, they are still "just men" of whome we simply "follow the lead" of to put it scriptually. To state the GB is "too holy" to have their "names" put into a pun is making them god-like to me.

2 hours ago, EccentricM said:

I get the concern people have, but I've held the opposite view, and that not willing to have a light joke about such a minor thing like a pun on names, in my mind, is akin to idolatry and worshipping men. Whilst they are the GB, they are not our gods, they are still "just men" **of whome we simply "follow the lead" of to put it scriptually. To state the GB is "too holy" to have their "names" put into a pun is making them god-like to me.

IMHO the issue is one of 'respect' not an issue of their being 'holy'. 

Imagine if you will a Monopoly* board with all the properties having names from all the modern GB members. The corners are  DFd and Re-instated, a corner marked 'YOU just Completed 100 Hours, go to Baptism and collect your badge!' Properties are named Splane Gardens, Knorr Avenue, Rutherford Court, and perhaps Russell Estate, etc. The rules are exactly the same as standard Monopoly*. Would you play such a game? I wouldn't, not because monopoly is wrong, but to participate would be demonstrating a lack of respect to our history and to those we hold in the highest esteem, ie glorius ones. (2 Pe 2:10**)

Keep in mind this is my opinion and I am not asking any to make it their opinion.

* I know many don't play Monopoly due to matters of conscience.

** In a religous sense 'glorius' and 'holy are' sometimes interchangeable.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I think it's a good way to remember their names. However, this is the Picture forum so please open another topic if you want to discuss it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Mephibosheth said:

I think it's a good way to remember their names. However, this is the Picture forum so please open another topic if you want to discuss it.

:worship:

I thought we were commenting on the content of a posted picture. Are we limited to like or dislike?

If so do need a new topic, COMMENTS ON CONTENT OF POSTED PICTURES ? 

19 minutes ago, Old said:

I like this picture.

Perhaps even a Leonardo copy shows you're rich and cultured | The ...

Please do not give an opinion. IMHOs not allowed.

You say, do not give an opinion... Is saying I really like this, an opinion?

I also find it amazing that looking at her from almost any angle, she is still looking at you.

33 minutes ago, Gary910 said:

You say, do not give an opinion... Is saying I really like this, an opinion?

I also find it amazing that looking at her from almost any angle, she is still looking at you.

I think we are not to give our opinion as to content, ok to comment on technique and materials. Opinions on what you see or feel, agree with the intent or disagree,  are to be posted elsewhere.

Note staff direction.                                                                                                                                                                                              :zipmouth:

2 hours ago, Mephibosheth said:

... However, this is the Picture forum so please open another topic if you want to discuss it.

8 hours ago, Dove said:

Br. Lett did say Br. Losch 'twisted the Scriptures'..

Actually, Br. Lett said that Br. Pierce 'twisted the Scriptures.'

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODPgmEvtAnnMtg/docid-502013413_1_VIDEO

...at the 3:40 mark...

Of course, Br. Pierce is in his heavenly reward now. I wonder if he's going to mind...

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODPgmEvtAnnMtg/docid-502013413_1_VIDEO

Of course, Br. Pierce is in his heavenly reward now. I wonder if he's going to mind...

Thank you Eric for correcting that...

Mind?

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 8/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, Qapla said:

How can it be around for several years if Br Cook is a GB member for only a couple of years?

On 8/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, Qapla said:

Do you see the GB members mention anything that is made with their names or faces or whatever? Even if they didn't like this sort of things why would they use the teaching platforms to voice any objections? In fact they being humble they would just let go of anything made about them that they didn't like.

If I see someone poking about a friend I will not wait for the friend to object himself, I will say something myself...

On 8/5/2020 at 5:44 AM, Sheep said:

On 8/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, Dove said:

Thank you Eric for correcting that...

Mind?

The GB members joke with each other several times, but that is not a liberty for anyone to joke with them in the same manner. I joke with my wife but I won't like if somebody else starts joking with her :wink:

I may be wrong but I think I never heard any helper joking with a GB member either

On 8/4/2020 at 5:20 PM, Mephibosheth said:

Mod Note:

The comments about the Governing Body names were developing into a conversation that deserves it's own topic.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Personally I don't find anything objectionable in the picture above. It's just a mnemonic to remember the names of all the GB members. Memory retains things better if some humor is included. But the mnemonic is in no way disrespectful nor demeaning of those brothers.

I think I saw something similar years ago that included brother Pierce and did not include brothers Cook and Sanderson.

I can say for certain and positively that the angels and the anointed already in heaven are thinking that the friends on earth should loosen up!  There’s a time for everything.  I knew a very humorous sister who is anointed now in heaven.   I personally know a helper to the GB and they are not uptight about joking around with the GB they are very humorous brothers.   Brother Lösch  actually punched one of our elders in the stomach jokingly when he nervously reached out to shake his hand while crossing over on one of the skywalks while under construction.  I haven’t had the opportunity to meet any of them yet but if I ever do I will have no problem joking around with them:D

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

:uhhuh: 

Personally I don't find anything objectionable in the picture above. It's just a mnemonic to remember the names of all the GB members. Memory retains things better if some humor is included. But the mnemonic is in no way disrespectful nor demeaning of those brothers.

I think I saw something similar years ago that included brother Pierce and did not include brothers Cook and Sanderson.

I originally posted it because I found it here on the forum and thought it was humorous and yes, it is a great way to retain information. It wasn’t to be blown beyond proportion. It was clearly a joke not to be taken too heavily. But I too apologize if it may have hurt anyone in any way. It wasn’t intentional at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say for certain and positively that the angels and the anointed already in heaven are thinking that the friends on earth should loosen up!  There’s a time for everything.  I knew a very humorous sister who is anointed now in heaven.   I personally know a helper to the GB and they are not uptight about joking around with the GB they are very humorous brothers.   Brother Lösch  actually punched one of our elders in the stomach jokingly when he nervously reached out to shake his hand while crossing over on one of the skywalks while under construction.  I haven’t had the opportunity to meet any of them yet but if I ever do I will have no problem joking around with them

I, too believe they are humans and have a sense of humor like each of us. They take the responsibility that has been given them very seriously, but at the same note, they are human with human-like emotions and feelings. We know our dear brothers have a humorous side in order to maintain balance work for Jehovah’s service and to enjoy their lives in that service. So being comical is no doubt evident in each one. But to retain information simply by a riddle of sorts, a clever one at that, truly shouldn’t bring out undue anxiety over the use of names in it whether they are anointed or not. But like I had mentioned, I’d one finds the post offensive, I am extremely sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Do you see the GB members mention anything that is made with their names or faces or whatever? Even if they didn't like this sort of things why would they use the teaching platforms to voice any objections? In fact they being humble they would just let go of anything made about them that they didn't like.

If I see someone poking about a friend I will not wait for the friend to object himself, I will say something myself...

choose files... Click to choose files

I was searching for some material on Google. What popped up were memes of GB members and disparaging remarks about them that were obviously from disgruntled apostates. Sickening.

I appreciate they have humour amongst themselves, and you can see they don't take themselves too seriously, especially because of the hate they must also receive and being in the public eye..

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥