JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

GB Update #8

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1271 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Question for those in Europe:

I thought the brothers were not allowed to do phone witnessing there. Is this correct?

This update however mentions telemarketers in France. Wouldn’t the same rules apply to them? Or is my information about phone witnessing wrong.

43 minutes ago, JohnFromOz said:

I thought the brothers were not allowed to do phone witnessing there. Is this correct?

This update however mentions telemarketers in France. Wouldn’t the same rules apply to them? Or is my information about phone witnessing wrong.

The UK brothers and sisters cannot "cold call "  from what understand, even though telemarketing is legal there. Here in France where I live we can use the White pages (telephone book) and call people we do not know from prior contact. Telemarketing  is very common here in France.

I don't know about other European countries... there's probably a thread on this topic somewhere.

Edited by sunshine

His comments about the world changing so quickly was sobering. I mean really, I'm thinking that we won't know when the GT has begun until after something obvious happens which would require us to basically act on the drop of a dime. 

Just mulling over what he said and that came to mind.

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

The UK brothers and sisters cannot "cold call "  from what understand, even though telemarketing is legal there.

No here in the UK we're not allowed to "cold call" people we don't know personally with the kingdom message.....but telemarketing and unsolicited mail from selling companies seems to carry on as normal

Edited by Julie

Add

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

8 hours ago, Bob said:

His comments about the world changing so quickly was sobering. I mean really, I'm thinking that we won't know when the GT has begun until after something obvious happens which would require us to basically act on the drop of a dime. 

Just mulling over what he said and that came to mind.

My personal opinion: Jesus did not call the slave faithful AND discreet for nothing. They choose their words prayerfully and VERY carefully. They were trying to tell us that this most likely is leading us to the GT, it was a war cry. If they are speaking like this for an update, it makes you wonder what they will tell you at the annual meeting. Too I found it interesting that this was the first update that didn’t focus solely on the pandemic. Looking back, I think they’ve known for a long while that this was bigger than the pandemic, they were just cautiously waiting and watching, from changing the updates from “coronavirus update” to “governing body update” , to suddenly launching this campaign. Jehovah’s spirit has led them to realize this is HUGE. 

12 hours ago, Dages said:

20 years ago, when we got the Daniel book, and already very accurate teaching about the iron and the clay... it has never been truer.

Yeah, I remember that book. Those were exciting times 🙂

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

4 hours ago, Monwel said:

My personal opinion: Jesus did not call the slave faithful AND discreet for nothing. They choose their words prayerfully and VERY carefully. They were trying to tell us that this most likely is leading us to the GT, it was a war cry. 

Br. Monwell, do you remember these previous "war cries" that were part of world-wide campaigns?

Government.jpeg

Armageddon.jpeg

end1.JPG

24 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. Monwell, do you remember these previous "war cries" that were part of world-wide campaigns?

Government.jpeg

Armageddon.jpeg

end1.JPG

I’m too young to have experienced placing those first two tracts you posted. But I vividly remember placing the Kingdom news 37 tract, or the end of false religion is near tract. It was so exciting! Do you remember the letter that was read from the branch or headquarters that commended those who participated in it for being faithful since some didn’t want to distribute it because they thought it was too harsh?
I count it a privilege to have shared in this campaign and will be sure to tell my children how we allowed ourselves to be used by Jehovah to warn the world of the coming destruction of false religion 🙂

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

9 hours ago, Monwel said:

My personal opinion: Jesus did not call the slave faithful AND discreet for nothing. They choose their words prayerfully and VERY carefully. They were trying to tell us that this most likely is leading us to the GT, it was a war cry. If they are speaking like this for an update, it makes you wonder what they will tell you at the annual meeting. Too I found it interesting that this was the first update that didn’t focus solely on the pandemic. Looking back, I think they’ve known for a long while that this was bigger than the pandemic, they were just cautiously waiting and watching, from changing the updates from “coronavirus update” to “governing body update” , to suddenly launching this campaign. Jehovah’s spirit has led them to realize this is HUGE. 

Yes, unlike the worldwide campaigns in the past.  These days are different. 

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

Government.jpeg

Armageddon.jpeg

end1.JPG

2006 is the only one I remember. I’m a babe lol. Born in 90 lol. That campaign was super exciting! I had just started regular pioneering, These remind me of the article in the October 2019 watchtower, does God Judgements - Does He Always Give Enough Warning? These KN campaigns were “war cries” for the world, giving them time to learn the truth. That Governing Body update was a war cry for us. Begging, pleading, with us to realize this thing is almost up! 

On 11/21/2020 at 2:55 PM, JohnFromOz said:

On 11/21/2020 at 6:12 PM, Julie said:

No here in the UK we're not allowed to "cold call" people we don't know personally with the kingdom message.....but telemarketing and unsolicited mail from selling companies seems to carry on as normal

Telemarketers can do their job because, sometime, somewhere, you put on a mark on a required option to subscribe something. Most certainly that mark was referring to you allowing that your contacts could be directed to partner companies in order for them to contact you for marketing purposes - Off course that text was in tiny letters and most of the time we want to proceed to the subscription and don't read that...

So, they're not doing anything illegal. We could contact people to if, when in door to door ministery, we had asked for the hh permision to have his/her contacts. This permission could be granted for example by exchanging phone numbers

The important point here, and something I will try to do myself because I always don't pick up telemarketing phone calls*, is that the sister used that pone call, usually boring, to give witness. One important point also is that she must have been very polite for the caller to like the call

* I have an app that warns about a known telemarketing number