JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom connection issues

I thought there was already a topic here for Zoom problems. But I can't find it. Please redirect me if there's one I missed.

For about the last three weeks I have been getting these "Your Internet connection is unstable" messages, and now they're appearing more frequently. Occasionally it says that my network bandwidth is low. When I see these messages, usually the video freezes up momentarily, or the sound becomes intermittent and choppy. Yesterday I even got kicked out of my meeting, and I was forced to use the phone to listen to the rest of it. But that's rare.

My overall connection to the Internet is very stable, since I have no problems doing anything else. It's only when I'm on Zoom that this happens.

A couple of days ago my ISP sent me a new modem. But that changed nothing. I am still seeing these same messages and freezing.

Apparently it's not just me. Someone in my previous congregation told me last night that she and a few others are having similar problems, also since about three weeks ago. She says that one of their elders got kicked out of Zoom while he was conducting the Congregation Bible Study! So, is anyone else also having connectivity problems with Zoom?

Same (regarding the unstable network) .

And today, our audio was atrocious! Anyone speaking was dropping out, people didn't know who the WT conductor was calling on. Our reader was dropped entirely before one paragraph- someone else had to read it.

It was a bit of a mess.

Unless you have a strong/fast internet connection you are going to experience issues with wifi, also if you have numerous electronics hooked up to your wifi and you are a long  distance from the router. I have AT&T fiber at 300 mbps, am close to my router, turn off my ring doorbell when zooming, still have 2 phones and 2 tablets on wifi but running zoom off of my all in one desk top computer so my issues are minimal. Then others zooming may have their own issues with low bandwidth or have 2 or more devices running causing feedback and getting bad/noisy audio, the low bandwidth is your own issue, so unless you get a stronger signal you will have  video issues. Getting a mesh system is one way to get a stronger signal through out  your residence of course more money to buy one, I thought about getting one but really have no reason to.

You can read up on the mesh system, below is an Amazon link to give you an idea of what it it.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-eero-mesh-WiFi-system-3-pack-/dp/B07WMLPSRL

37 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

also if you have numerous electronics hooked

That's the most common cause in our area. Usually one member of the family will have a part and the rest of the family are on separate devices with HD video on.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Unless you have a strong/fast internet connection you are going to experience issues with wifi, also if you have numerous electronics hooked up to your wifi and you are a long  distance from the router. I have AT&T fiber at 300 mbps, am close to my router, turn off my ring doorbell when zooming, still have 2 phones and 2 tablets on wifi but running zoom off of my all in one desk top computer so my issues are minimal. Then others zooming may have their own issues with low bandwidth or have 2 or more devices running causing feedback and getting bad/noisy audio, the low bandwidth is your own issue, so unless you get a stronger signal you will have  video issues. Getting a mesh system is one way to get a stronger signal through out  your residence of course more money to buy one, I thought about getting one but really have no reason to.

You can read up on the mesh system, below is an Amazon link to give you an idea of what it it.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-eero-mesh-WiFi-system-3-pack-/dp/B07WMLPSRL

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I don't understand technical language. So all the above goes over my head.

Um... let's see... I have fibe-something from my ISP, at 25Mbps download, 10Mbps upload. The modem is right under my desk, connected to the laptop with an ethernet cable. So I don't think the wifi stuff is an issue. What I have is very adequate for everything else the I do online, including surfing, JWTalk, or downloading stuff from jw.org. Nothing else is hooked up to the wifi, nor is anyone else using it. I'm not sure if I have a "router," but there's nothing else here except the modem. So I guess I don't have one of those. I'll read up on this "mesh" thing you mentioned, but there's no guarantee I'll understand it.

the ethernet is a good direct connection , better than wifi because less chance of signal loss, the 25 mbps  may be  the issue because maybe you're not getting that, the mesh is for a wifi system only, wouldn't help you,  and you don't have a router since that is used to connect other devices, you may be getting signal loss from a weak connection do a speed test, your isp can direct you how to do that.

We had video hesitation and audio delay/distortion with some of the friends who have larger families.  They each had a device using up the bandwidth of a marginal system.  After some consultation they have reduced the devices to just 2 and the results have significantly improved.  You might be the only Zoom connection but if your house has wifi devices (phones, smart TVs, e-readers, other computers on and so forth), they may slow your Zoom access.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I don't understand technical language. So all the above goes over my head.

Um... let's see... I have fibe-something from my ISP, at 25Mbps download, 10Mbps upload.

Have you tested this speed? Or is it what you signed up for, which often says 'upto' 25mbps.
The article mentioned above references speedtest.net. Please try it. (by Ookla) It will confirm your speed....

Old (Downunder) Tone

14 hours ago, Sheep said:

I have fibe-something from my ISP, at 25Mbps download, 10Mbps upload. The modem is right under my desk, connected to the laptop with an ethernet cable.

Provided the speed you have listed here is accurate, it's more than enough for Zoom. Test that first, either through your Internet Service Provider's website or otherwise. Zoom typically never uses more than 1.5Mbps up/down for 720p group video and 3Mbps up/down for 1080p group video. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-requirements-for-Windows-macOS-and-Linux

Your may have a modem/router combo unit if you were provided it/are renting it from your ISP. If you are only using it wired and not broadcasting any wireless signal, there is no issue with the WiFi or need for a mesh. Few people really need a mesh network.

That being said, even if your internet works 'fine' for other things, it may be fast but still be intermittently disconnecting often and just buffering properly in the background in between problems. Disconnects can be caused by anything, particularly stuff affecting the lines, such as animals (chewed up wires in the walls/outside) and weather or unshielded telephone calls using the same lines. Your modem/router may be junk and need to be replaced, or your computer may be too slow to handle the amount of bandwidth being used by Zoom. AT&T calls a lot of their telephone internet Fiber, but most of it is nowhere near true fiber optic or even coaxial cable speeds, and they disconnect frequently in my experience. Is your internet run over old telephone lines or coaxial cables?

Edit: The main Zoom thread is here:

Edited by Myew

16 hours ago, Lee49 said:

. . . the 25 mbps  may be  the issue because maybe you're not getting that. . .

12 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Have you tested this speed? Or is it what you signed up for, which often says 'upto' 25mbps.

The article mentioned above references speedtest.net. Please try it. (by Ookla) It will confirm your speed....

I am indeed getting the speed I pay for (usually). Here's what I'm getting from several speed testers:

Speedtest.JPG.ce4206135486d95405f04a8cd8c4c835.JPG

Speedtest.net

Meter_net.JPG.51f4a683258388fce990c61cd26ea644.JPG

Meter.net

nperf.JPG.86bd9efe130f46bc1e2d038fea6dbf66.JPG

nperf

Speedof_me.JPG.26da73f331b2cc0ed7fcbe885f0f7df4.JPG

Speedof.me

Bandwidthplace.jpg.e98a1860bb894736832e053f094bdf2c.jpg

Bandwidthplace (IP address removed from image)

Actually, I'm impressed that some of them say I'm getting more than I paid for. But that's what I usually get. It's only when I'm on Zoom that I test the speed and it sometimes drops drastically to maybe 2.3 Mbps (download), and .8 Mbps (upload). Sometimes, though, the speed doesn't drop at all when I'm on Zoom; it's very intermittent.

3 hours ago, Myew said:

Your may have a modem/router combo unit if you were provided it/are renting it from your ISP. . .

I'm not sure. When I spoke to my ISP last week, here's what they sent. But I don't know if there's a router in it. They didn't charge me for it, and I don't remember if my original modem came with the service or if there's a monthly rental in the bill.

3 hours ago, Myew said:

That being said, even if your internet works 'fine' for other things, it may be fast but still be intermittently disconnecting often and just buffering properly in the background in between problems. Disconnects can be caused by anything, particularly stuff affecting the lines, such as animals (chewed up wires in the walls/outside) and weather or unshielded telephone calls using the same lines. Your modem/router may be junk and need to be replaced, or your computer may be too slow to handle the amount of bandwidth being used by Zoom. AT&T calls a lot of their telephone internet Fiber, but most of it is nowhere near true fiber optic or even coaxial cable speeds, and they disconnect frequently in my experience. Is your internet run over old telephone lines or coaxial cables?

The modem is brand new, delivered on Friday of last week. So I don't think it would need to be replaced just yet. And it's not likely to be my computer. It's less than two years old and is fine for everything else. Interestingly, though, I have only had this Zoom problem in the last three weeks or so. Others in my general area here say they've had problems too, also within the last three weeks. So maybe it's a local thing?

I spoke to my ISP on the weekend too. They confirmed (remotely) that my speeds are what they're supposed to be, and they don't see any problems from their end. I tried their recommendation, that of uninstalling the Zoom app and reinstalling it. Since then, Zoom did give me that error message (connection unstable) only once. But a couple of times on Zoom yesterday (meeting with some from the forums here), it's been fine. I'll see how it goes in the next while.

That unit is both an internet modem and a wireless router, you're likely renting it as part of the bill. If you're not using it for WiFi for a phone or laptop or whatever else, you might even disable the wireless broadcasting on it, take some load off of the CPU and reduce needless EMR. https://support.bell.ca/Internet/Connection-help/Home-Hub-2000-modem.how_to_configure_the_primary_wifi_network_on_my
I believe Bell is traditionally a phone company and it looks like that's what they're using, telephone wires are fairly old standard and prone to interference and disconnects. They do have some support info on it. https://support.bell.ca/Internet/service_is_not_working I would recommend rebooting your power strip with all of your networking/computer equipment about an hour before the meetings begin. Unfortunately it's probably something that not much can be done about if it's none of the things mentioned. Possibly running new telephone cables to the home might help. Telephone internet companies just disconnect more, where I live it's quite frequent, especially if I try to use more bandwidth than it can handle. I use some discount AT&T telephone internet for certain things like YouTube since it has a higher data cap, but I had to pay more for a cable plan so that I could help host Zoom meetings and A/V stuff.

Edited by Myew

We have ignored another possibility.  The Zoom meeting usually originates (started or hosted) by someone else and it is their computer and speed that plays a significant part on the outcome.  We have a couple of hosts who meet the minimum requirements of Zoom, but when everyone gets on and the program goes to a video or shared screen presentation or picture, the performance suffers.  On one meeting a week or so ago, we could not get the music and words of the meeting songs to sync (not even close).  We had "full screen" from our host be only about 3/4 screen and so on.  His system might be OK for field service with simple conversation and 10 participants but it struggled with the whole congregation online.

My system is fast and I have 260 mbps download and I could not sing the song from the screen (I had to listed to the music and read the words on my tablet).

So maybe part of your problem is that it is somebody else's problem and you are just the recipient.  Try to find out if you are the only one attached with the problem or is it everybody at the meeting.

Edited by jwhess

22 minutes ago, jwhess said:

So maybe part of your problem is that it is somebody else's problem and you are just the recipient.  Try to find out if you are the only one attached with the problem or is it everybody at the meeting.

Their Zoom client specifically says "Your Internet connection is unstable", not "so-and-so's internet connection is unstable". It's their connection to Zoom, not the other way around.

My AT&T fiber comes in from the pole to the house, after that it's cat 5

this from AT&T- 

The word Fiber is tricky because all AT&T internet services (except DSL and analog phone) are fiber-based connections, one way or another. Please call AT&T and have them verify the transport type assigned to you. If your service's transport type is FTTN (fiber to the node) or FTTN-BP (bonded pair), you're good to go. These types can work with coaxial inside wiring.

If your transport type is FTTP or IPDSL, here's what you need to know:

IPDSL = This is basically upgraded DSL service. Fiber terminates from the AT&T central office, and everything else is copper, up to your house and to your modem. Hence, copper cabling (regular phone cables, RJ11) is required.

FTTP = Fiber runs from the AT&T central office up to your NID (gray box on the side of your house). It will be replaced with an ONT (optical network terminal) which converts fiber (light) signals to something (electrical) that flows to copper wires. Ethernet cable (data cable, RJ45) is used from the ONT to your AT&T modem. 

1 hour ago, Myew said:

. . . I would recommend rebooting your power strip with all of your networking/computer equipment about an hour before the meetings begin. . .

Possibly running new telephone cables to the home might help.

"Rebooting your power strip"? I'm not sure what that means. Is that the surge protector bar?

As for the phone cables outside and inside, they were all replaced a few years ago when I was having some unrelated Internet problem.

27 minutes ago, Myew said:

Their Zoom client specifically says "Your Internet connection is unstable", not "so-and-so's internet connection is unstable". It's their connection to Zoom, not the other way around.

Sometimes, shortly after I get the "Your Internet connection is unstable" message, another message also appears. It's always the brother who is taking the part. My screen tells me: "So-and-so's network bandwidth is low." Quite a coincidence for that to happen at the same time!

I was just on Zoom a few minutes ago with a couple of sisters from the forums again. It was for maybe 30 minutes, and I had no problems then. I'll see, with time, if that uninstall/reinstall of the Zoom app worked.

42 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

(I had to listen to the music and read the words on my tablet)."

Just like in the good old days hey John ? - 😆

Old, old days yes.  Recent old days No.  I sat in the second row on the left in front of the left side monitor (85" I think).  I watched the words on the screen with my glasses on.  Generally, when I use my 10" tablet. I can't make out the words clearly enough without my glasses and I can't use my glasses that close up.  The time is coming when I will get in the line marked "sight restored" in the New World to come...💗

55 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Is that the surge protector bar?

Yes, most people have all of their computer and networking equipment on a bar/strip with a surge protector. You want to do a power cycle, shutting everything down and powering it off for about 10 seconds so the power drains before turning them back on.

55 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Sometimes, shortly after I get the "Your Internet connection is unstable" message, another message also appears. It's always the brother who is taking the part. My screen tells me: "So-and-so's network bandwidth is low." Quite a coincidence for that to happen at the same time!

Well, that could change things. It's difficult to troubleshoot without everything detailed step by step ahead of time. It seems to me like it would be more of a problem with the local internet service provider infrastructure vs your equipment or another person hosting based. You've replaced pretty much everything, it's wired and other people have had similar issues. Where I live, the DSL over phone lines disconnects all the time and there's not much I can do about it because that would probably require having my apartment rewired. So I use cable. Some people use phone data / hotspots if they have good reception/plans.

You might check outage / service down websites next time it messes up.

Edited by Myew

2 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

I used to have an 8" tablet, and that was big enough for me"  from Eric

So, what are you using, an Apple watch, mush easier to hold onto ? 😁

I never got anything to replace the tablet. And I don't have a cell phone. (Don't tell anybody.) I'm worried about getting one of the latter; it might just slip through my fingers and... :oops: