JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom connection issues

I have a new Windows 10 PC. I cannot download the ZOOM app because MS is now following in Apples footsteps and not allowing any program that is not on their approved app list to be installed. They did provide a work-around to remove this Windows 10 feature, a one time, one shot to permanently remove this feature. Tried to follow the instructions but got hung up on invalid password. I changed my password 10 times and still got the same response (I write it down each time before I enter the new password.) When all was said and done after about 5 hours they requested an alternate email address, I entered my wife's email address. Now my opening screen says this is Gertrude's PC and asks for a pin number I had created which works. So far so good. Then complication set in, the email I used is valid but unused and I don't have a password to access the account so I cannot communicate with MS to change the PC to me.

Will a system restore take me back to the beginning or brick the PC? 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004123963-Installing-Zoom-on-Windows-10-Creators-Update#:~:text=Zoom is not currently included,to allow Zoom to install.

This may help you or not!

"It's like my father always said to me, he said to me, he said, Roseanna Roseanadana, it's always something. If it isn't one thing--it's another! It's always something."

-- Gilda Radner

17 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004123963-Installing-Zoom-on-Windows-10-Creators-Update#:~:text=Zoom is not currently included,to allow Zoom to install.

This may help you or not!

"It's like my father always said to me, he said to me, he said, Roseanna Roseanadana, it's always something. If it isn't one thing--it's another! It's always something."

-- Gilda Radner

Thanks, but my 3rd screen in these instructions is the same one they show me, but the 4th screen is different, does not show the box 'apps and features' as shown in their instructions.  Cannot find it anywhere.

I miss Gilda's humor.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

I'm worried about getting one of the latter; it might just slip through my fingers and...

I recently got my dad a cheaper rugged smartphone + screen protector. While I am fairly skeptical of the dubious protection claims and videos compared to some reviews, and don't believe the engrish warranties would be valid (I don't expect any customer support here, I am the tech support), it has very functional hardware specs and is holding up well for him. Battery for days.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08782T24C/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082XPD4L6/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LVFJNHV/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0871HD5NT/

3 hours ago, Old said:

I have a new Windows 10 PC. I cannot download the ZOOM app because MS is now following in Apples footsteps and not allowing any program that is not on their approved app list to be installed. They did provide a work-around to remove this Windows 10 feature, a one time, one shot to permanently remove this feature. Tried to follow the instructions but got hung up on invalid password. I changed my password 10 times and still got the same response (I write it down each time before I enter the new password.) When all was said and done after about 5 hours they requested an alternate email address, I entered my wife's email address. Now my opening screen says this is Gertrude's PC and asks for a pin number I had created which works. So far so good. Then complication set in, the email I used is valid but unused and I don't have a password to access the account so I cannot communicate with MS to change the PC to me.

Will a system restore take me back to the beginning or brick the PC? 

Your PC is in S Mode. I was very much against buying those machines from the start, but it's become rather simple to leave it now. If you are the primary user, you need to log into the Windows PC using one of your email accounts that has a Microsoft account attached to it, rather than logging in with a local account. If you have a hotmail, outlook, live etc email address, those are owned by Microsoft and are Microsoft accounts. You can also make a Microsoft account and attach it to another email address provider like gmail. So I'm assuming you lost your password for your Microsoft account if you had one. You might be confusing passwords between a local user account and your email account, or a microsoft account and a google account? Once you're logged in, you find 'Switch out of S mode' in the Microsoft Store and just do run it to allow all executables and applications. There is not much valid reason to be in S Mode other than locking someone into the MS Store unless it's for a person prone to downloading whatever junk they see, it's a thing Microsoft does with cheaper subsidized license laptops to try and get more money, they originally planned to charge to unlock them. But it's not like it's truly safer or better for your PC to only have the MS Store, there's plenty of adware, bloatware and potentially malware to be found there. https://www.howtogeek.com/360007/how-to-leave-windows-10s-s-mode/

Edited by Myew

Ive had so many problems with Zoom. Im not gonna recall every incident but this morning I tried for 20 minutes to join zoom on my desktop. Finally tried it on my phone and it worked. Ive had more problem with the phone not connecting and clipping more in the past.

Edited by Beyond the Sky

With so many going on zoom these days it's amazing how Zooms servers can keep so many connected and then with our own connection issues, I for one have fiber and usually do not have an issue with 'connecting" my video/audio sometimes is out of sync especially in HD mode, I'm using a Dell desktop all in one a little dated but no real issues (windows 10 ). I've just decided to hook up direct ( instead of wifi ) from my router with ethernet cable to another room where my desktop is located, checking my up/down speeds using a long cat 5e jumper compared to my wifi was like night and day as my up speeds were in the 350 range vs wifi of 40, down was 80 vs 35. I haven't tried zoom yet using the jumper I'll try it tomorrow ( Sunday ) before I decide to run a new cable under the house.

Most in our congregation are not using video ( around 1/2 - 2/3 ) probably because of poor wifi or phone use only. It can be very stressful not being able to connect especially with video, when you have this issue just connect with audio only, at least you can listen in and maybe be able to comment also.

We have cable Internet and I am connected with a LAN cable, too - not WiFi. I have not had any connection problems.

Most of those I have come across that have problems are connecting with DSL phone line or satellite Internet. Of those who have had a problem on cable that I have dealt with all used WiFi and the problem was not the cable modem.

Your experience may bi different ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

For today's meeting I ran a temporary cat 5e jumper from my router located in one bedroom to my office just across the hall, what a difference in up/down speeds by using the direct ethernet hook up! I didn't have a lot of problems with my wifi as I mentioned before except some out of sync video/audio, now my wife has to contend with a cable running across the floor until I get it installed properly! I did tape it down to the floor incase she/I were to trip over it!

2020-11-29_12h37_50.png

3 hours ago, Lee49 said:

For today's meeting I ran a temporary cat 5e jumper from my router located in one bedroom to my office just across the hall, what a difference in up/down speeds by using the direct ethernet hook up! I didn't have a lot of problems with my wifi as I mentioned before except some out of sync video/audio, now my wife has to contend with a cable running across the floor until I get it installed properly! I did tape it down to the floor incase she/I were to trip over it!

2020-11-29_12h37_50.png

Br. Lawrence, I moved into town from my farm 8 months ago.  I ordered the fiber cable internet for my home. It is a copper coax cable from the street (about 50 feet away). The previous owners has the connection on the outside south wall for their television.  When the installer came, I explained I wanted the cable drop to be in my computer room at the other end of the house.  But I needed it on an inside wall.

The previous owners had installed cable drops in almost every room for a satellite TV system.  He told me that he didn't crawl in attics and install downward through inside walls.  He was simply the cable on the pole to house installer.  I asked him if he could drill through my attic wall and feed me the cable.  I would go up in the attic to pull it through to the other end of the house.  Then we could attach it to the room wall cable since it had a terminal end.  He followed me up to the attic opening and tested my existing wall cable connection and put a tracer on it to make sure it supplied the signal down to the room.

I did the work and he fed the cable and he made the official splice connection.  It all works great and I have the RJ-45 Cat-6 hardwire connection to my computer.  It is great.  Occasionally I use a laptop in another room via WIFI but the hardwired PC is best.