JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Annoying iphone "likes"

I have an Android device and when I text someone with an iPhone I get a message from them if they "like" my text. During a group conversation I get overloaded with repetitious texts. Is there a way for Android users to block "likes" from iPhone users?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

No, unfortunately there is not. The only way to stop this would to have the group conversations on a messaging app (like WhatsApp) (which would mean everyone would need to use that app). The next choice would be to enable the Mute setting on that group message to silence message notifications and check it from time to time.

41 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I have an Android device and when I text someone with an iPhone I get a message from them if they "like" my text. During a group conversation I get overloaded with repetitious texts. Is there a way for Android users to block "likes" from iPhone users?

Oh! How I wish!!!  Especially in group texts like for the pioneers or our service group... there is NO NEED to indicate you like a text! Just keep reading, respond with words if you want.. but please do not "like" the text!  Please?  It just clogs up the text thread.  It's so annoying.. :( 

Thank you ❤️ 

19 minutes ago, Hope said:

Oh! How I wish!!!  Especially in group texts like for the pioneers or our service group... there is NO NEED to indicate you like a text! Just keep reading, respond with words if you want.. but please do not "like" the text!  Please?  It just clogs up the text thread.  It's so annoying.. :( 

Thank you ❤️ 

(Liked)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When sending an email the best thing to do is use BCC instead of CC.  it looks like:

TO: <my email>
BCC: all the recipients' emails...

The email will be sent to you with a Blind Carbon Copy to everyone else, they will not see everyone else's addresses so if they reply all it will only go to you.  It doesn't solve text messages, and it doesn't prevent you getting 200 replies with "I got it", but it does prevent everyone else from being annoyed.

18 hours ago, howudodat said:

When sending an email the best thing to do is use BCC instead of CC.  it looks like:

TO: <my email>
BCC: all the recipients' emails...

The email will be sent to you with a Blind Carbon Copy to everyone else, they will not see everyone else's addresses so if they reply all it will only go to you.  It doesn't solve text messages, and it doesn't prevent you getting 200 replies with "I got it", but it does prevent everyone else from being annoyed.

That is what I do but to try to get other people to do it is "chasing after the wind." One time I we all got one that said "thank you" and I replied to all "you're welcome" and then it was explained to me that the thank you was for the original sender. Apparently they did not understand my sarcasm. That is when I finally gave up with other people and simply delete the email.

Sometimes I get texts late at night and reply at 4:00 am when I am awake. It doesn't happen much anymore.

Similar to what @howudodat said really does hit my nerve when we do get an e-mail from our CoBE and brothers insist on using REPLY ALL instead of the regular reply (addresses are CC'd, not BCC'd). I UNDERSTAND you received the message that was sent, but I and 15 others do not necessarily need you to inform that you have received the e-mail  😤:deadhorse::crackwhip:

As for the Like/Love/Dislike reaction, I can't say much because of our Zoom attendant chat is full of written out reaction message thanks to a certain individual... :whistling:

I feel it's even worse in our service group chat thread where we at times have longer messages and then someone reacts to them, burying the original message, and making it look like this on the small phone screen:

Dear friends in group n+1! Our Circuit Overseer's visit is
coming up next week. Our midweek meeting will be
moved to Tuesday at 7 PM, public meeting is still taking
place the regular time on Sunday at 4 PM. We will use
the same credentials for our meetings as we usually do.
Our Circuit Overseer will be hosting the daily meetings
for field service using his own account, and for these we
will be sending you the meeting ID and passcode as
soon as we have them. The exact times will be
announced on Tuesday. If you have any questions,
please don't hesitate to contact any of us brothers in
group n+1. Looking forward to this encouraging visit!

Liked "Dear friends in group n+1! Our Circuit Overseer's

visit is coming up next week. Our midweek meeting

will be moved to Tuesday at 7 PM, public meeting is

still taking place the regular time on Sunday at 4 PM.

We will use the same credentials for our meetings as

we usually do. Our Circuit Overseer will be hosting the

daily meetings for field service using his own account,

and for these we will be sending you the meeting ID

and passcode as soon as we have them. The exact

times will be announced on Tuesday. If you have any

questions, please don't hesitate to contact any of us

brothers in group n+1. Looking forward to this

encouraging visit!"

Loved "Dear friends in group n+1! Our Circuit Overseer's

visit is coming up next week. Our midweek meeting

will be moved to Tuesday at 7 PM, public meeting is

still taking place the regular time on Sunday at 4 PM.

We will use the same credentials for our meetings as

we usually do. Our Circuit Overseer will be hosting the

daily meetings for field service using his own account,

and for these we will be sending you the meeting ID

and passcode as soon as we have them. The exact

times will be announced on Tuesday. If you have any

questions, please don't hesitate to contact any of us

brothers in group n+1. Looking forward to this

encouraging visit!"

Since my phone UI is in Swedish, if I react everybody gets confused because my reaction messages come out in Swedish instead. Perhaps Apple and Google should work on creating a common standard for the message reactions 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by LoneWanderer

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

Can you add a signature to your texts, like with email?

”Don't even think about Liking my messages.”

edit: I can add a signature on my Galaxy Note 4

Edited by ChrisC

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Unfortunately for Android Users it’s more of Google issue and their Refusal to add support. The have been planing to create a fallback feature using rss but have not really implemented it. Also the software for IOS users is most likely sending those messages if they are responding with a tablet or Mac since your messages should look fifteenth if they are SMS from a phone.

TLDR; If you have an Android phone, I’m sorry but your out of luck. You would have to use Google Chat Instead of the default message app. 

Lots of the apps that are currently being used for cross compatibility are being looked at due to privacy concerns and spying. Discord currently works well for cross community communication. Voxer worked well during the convention. But good old Carbon Copy Email may be better with just a simple @donotreply header domain 🤣 

Or you could use IOS instead...create two separate phone profiles one for JW and the other as your “Under Ban” version. iOS is a pain to crack open and if it’s just default stuff you will be fine. Then just switch profiles and reload the saved stuff 🤣 there’s pros and cons to everything. I don’t want to be the guy download everything when we got to bounce.