JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcasting - June 2021

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1003 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, WilliamChew said:

Thank you thank you my brother.  You are the best!   All your hard work is acknowledged and very much appreciated.   

He is the oldest of the GB members, going to 87... And I still take him as my personal favorite speaker. Also I love his dry humour

I remember first time I met him, how he first introduced his wife and those around him before talking about his own assignment. Even then he told jokes without moving a muscle, making more than one bethelite wonder if he might be serious, haha.

I remember when he spoke about the singers in our choir and dryly commented: “They are professionals. When I grow up, I will sing just like them.”

Got to love our elderly brothers who put Jehovah first, and care for the flock well despite age and frail bodies.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Snickers said:

Thank you for the 149th GG part 3 Transcript. Could you please change the contents from part 2, to part 3. Thank you again.

Thanks for pointing out the error.😅

149th GG part 3 Transcript edited to correct the table of contents.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Bamahrt said:

What does Mining mean?  

In this context it means a violation ot the jw.org website terms of use.

Misuse the website or its services, such as interfering with or accessing the website or its services using a method other than what is explicitly provided.

The link to the item cannot yet be found in a webpage and as as such it is not yet explicity provided.

The item can only be found because some know the inner works of how jw.org links items.

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the part "What do you want me to do for you?"  There's a point I can't quite wrap my brain around - how did the question "What do you want me to do for you?" serve as a protection for Jesus in his dealings with James and John?

This point is reiterated when the question is applied to us:

Don’t make the mistake of things you know what a person wants or needs.  Jesus did know, and he still asked.

Questions:

1)     They dignify the audience

2)     They allow your listener to reveal what is in his or her heart

3)     It may protect you

4)     It allows you to render meaningful assistance

I really want to understand how asking questions can protect us.  I'm hoping someone can clarify this point for me

🙏

2 hours ago, Audra said:

Don’t make the mistake of things you know what a person wants or needs.  Jesus did know, and he still asked.

Thanks for raising this point.

I think this refers to the mistake of assuming things.  The following article refers to it as "unconscious bias". Looks like Jesus was wise enough to see the danger of that. (I'm guilty of assuming things so often too only to regret it later)

Never ASSUME… it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

Well, biases create assumptions. To have a bias towards or against something means to have a thought or opinion (or to make a decision) about it based on someone or something else, instead of the individual or situation in front of us. It’s about our past experiences directly influencing our current behaviour.

And the bigger problem is that many biases are unconscious - we don’t deliberately create them. They are created without us being aware of it; our minds are always hard at work behind the scenes storing away opinions on everything we see, hear and experience.

Thank you @Br. Ice & @WilliamChew - that makes sense.  It's a powerful statement to say it is a 'protection'.  Thank you for sharing that article too @WilliamChew

I pulled out the questions Br Hyatt mentioned & how he introduced them:  

When offering assistance, instead of showing up with all the appropriate verses, show up with all the appropriate questions.

1)  What do you want me to do for you?

2)  How may I help?

3)  What's been happening in your life?

I look forward to using these!  Brother Hyatt's part was simple yet amazing.  This is especially so when talking to long time RVs or students.