JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Windows... how many?

21 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

Or: Direct link to the check compatibility app. (Windows PC Health Check)

I get message TPM 2.0  needs to be enabled, in order to be compatible ....I will revisit this in October 2024 LOL :whistling:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I get message TPM 2.0  needs to be enabled, in order to be compatible ....I will revisit this in October 2024 LOL :whistling:

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a computer chip (microcontroller) that can securely store artifacts used to authenticate the platform (your PC or laptop).

My error was: Secure boot needs to be enabed.

Edited by WilliamChew

1 hour ago, WilliamChew said:

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a computer chip (microcontroller) that can securely store artifacts used to authenticate the platform (your PC or laptop). TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a computer chip (microcontroller) that can securely store artifacts used to authenticate the platform (your PC or laptop).

My error was: Secure boot needs to be enabed.

Hopefully in 2024 we will be running improved TPM …Trusted Paradise Module …🥰

I am happy to upgrade anytime…..

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 6/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, WilliamChew said:

You can get the Check for compatibility app here.

Or: Direct link to the check compatibility app. (Windows PC Health Check)

The check compatibility app has been withdrawn. 😅

Windows 11 gets off to embarrassing start as Microsoft removes its PC Health Check app

Microsoft’s launch of Windows 11 has got off to a rocky start, as the company has had to remove its PC Health Check app, which instead of telling people if their PCs can run the upcoming software, has been giving confusing and incorrect information.

It’s led to people with PCs and laptops that should be more than capable of running Windows 11 instead being told that their machines are not compatible. Even worse, the app was not giving enough details about why the PCs were deemed incompatible with Windows 11.

This has dampened many people’s excitement about Windows 11, and now Microsoft has ‘temporarily’ removed the app, and will release it again later this year.

17 minutes ago, Dages said:

Whynotwin11 is an open source app (available on github) that is currently better than the official one because it gives details (my CPU isn't compatible (yet))

Does it say "not currently listed as compatible"? Because it doesn't mean it's truly non-compatible, the main requirements are secure boot to be enabled and have TPM 2.0 enabled or to have that TPM 2.0 chip at all in your computer's motherboard (it can be disabled in BIOS, here is some useful information how to check and enable that).

12 minutes ago, Intercore said:

Does it say "not currently listed as compatible"? Because it doesn't mean it's truly non-compatible, the main requirements are secure boot to be enabled and have TPM 2.0 enabled or to have that TPM 2.0 chip at all in your computer's motherboard (it can be disabled in BIOS, here is some useful information how to check and enable that).

Yeah, I know, I guess it's just that the list of the compatible CPUs isn't exhaustive

4 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

Sadly my 1 year old Gigabyte H310M motherboard doesn't have the TPM chip installed. 😅

It will cost US$52 to buy the TPM chip module.

Br. Chew, many of the systems built recently have the TPM built into the CPU or firmware and do not require a separate module.  The TPM implementation simply requires a reboot of the BIOS and turn on  (enable) the feature.  

My system showed no TPM module but I just enabled the BIOS to turn on the TPM.

26 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. Chew, many of the systems built recently have the TPM built into the CPU or firmware and do not require a separate module.  The TPM implementation simply requires a reboot of the BIOS and turn on  (enable) the feature.  

My system showed no TPM module but I just enabled the BIOS to turn on the TPM.

Thanks. Is it possible yours is a firmware implemented TPM? Do you happen to know your motherboard model or if yours is a  pre-built system the model?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-tpm-enable-bios-uefi

"Indeed, I don't have a physical TPM module in my system. But it ends up, there's a workaround.

I fiddled around in the UEFI, where I found a setting to enable Firmware TPM, or fTPM. (In Intel parlance, it will be called PTT, or Platform Trust Technology). On my Asus X370 Prime Pro motherboard, it was under Advanced > AMD fTPM configuration, where I switched from Discrete TPM to enable a Firmware TPM.

Then, I rebooted and returned to PC Health Checker and it said I could install Windows 11 without issue."

4 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

Thanks. Is it possible yours is a firmware implemented TPM? Do you happen to know your motherboard model or if yours is a  pre-built system the model?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-tpm-enable-bios-uefi

"Indeed, I don't have a physical TPM module in my system. But it ends up, there's a workaround.

I fiddled around in the UEFI, where I found a setting to enable Firmware TPM, or fTPM. (In Intel parlance, it will be called PTT, or Platform Trust Technology). On my Asus X370 Prime Pro motherboard, it was under Advanced > AMD fTPM configuration, where I switched from Discrete TPM to enable a Firmware TPM.

Then, I rebooted and returned to PC Health Checker and it said I could install Windows 11 without issue."

My motherboard is an MSI Pro Series, Model B460M-A Pro motherboard with a 10th gen I9 CPU.

I went to the UEFI Bios and enabled the PTT version of the TPM system.  On reboot, the PC Health Checker said it was OK.

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

My motherboard is an MSI Pro Series, Model B460M-A Pro motherboard with a 10th gen I9 CPU.

I went to the UEFI Bios and enabled the PTT version of the TPM system.  On reboot, the PC Health Checker said it was OK.

Thanks a lot.

My I3-9100F also has Intel PTT (Intel Platform Trust technology). All I needed to do was enable it on the BIOS.

Now running tpm.msc on the command prompt shows the TPM is ready for use.

https://www.onlogic.com/company/io-hub/intel-platform-trust-technology-ptt-tpm-for-the-masses/

"This model for system security got a face-lift when Intel introduced the Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) architecture, which implements TPM in system firmware. To your operating system and applications, PTT looks and acts like TPM. The difference is, computers with Intel PTT don’t require a dedicated processor or memory. Instead they rely on secure access to the system’s host processor and memory to perform low-level system authentication and verification."

Edited by WilliamChew