JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Windows... how many?

Windows 10 has been around since 2015.  Over 6 years.

I remember using 3.1, then 95, 98, ME and XP.  Only 3 or less years between upgrades.

I did a check using PC Health Check from Microsoft to see if my current laptop will upgrade.  No.  It is 8 years old, so maybe its time to get a new one.

Windows 10 will be support until October 2025 (or until the GT whichever comes first!).  So no need to rush to upgrade.

6 hours ago, Sheep said:

Another one? We are only just getting used to Windows 10, and now they're telling us another is upon us...

They said Windows 10 was the last one. Releasing this one seems a money grab if they are going to sell it. Otherwise they would have to make it permanently free for anyone who own Windows 10.

Even with that, it would be a pity since many people has already settled on and gotten used to this OS with no intention of changing their PC for a long time.

I was perfectly happy with Windows XP.  I used that system looooong after it was no longer supported--right up til my Dell desktop died in April of this year.

Microsoft keeps making operating systems more complicated--not better.

Screenshot_20210626_084218.jpg.b57f39d412924c17a5d6bdb7338e4078.jpg

So, later this year, Windows users will hear Microsoft cry out, "PC and Security!" 🤓 ...for the umpteenth time. 

Then, sudden confusion will be upon them🤔 ...for the umpteenth time. 

🙄

:D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

50 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I was perfectly happy with Windows XP.

I really would have continued using the Windows XP, if not so many software stopped working on it. The only reason why I switched to Windows 7 now is because of the software incompatibility.

Nowadays, many programs don’t work on W7 anymore and only on W10. One of them is the JW Library. I still refuse to switch to W10. I have the good old WOL and Watchtower Library working on my machine.

If the day JW Library works on W11 ever comes, then I may consider. (Extra emphasis on may.)

Edited by Hinata

5 hours ago, Hinata said:

They said Windows 10 was the last one.

That's what I heard too. It was even mentioned in someone's post here a couple of years ago. However, that post showed up on April 1, and we all know what that could mean...

56 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Microsoft keeps making operating systems more complicated--not better.

Agreed. The first Windows I ever used was Windows 3.1, and that was fine for me. Video quality was very poor in those days, but it ran a word processor perfectly and that was okay for me. I think that was Windows at its best, but it's just my opinion.

(You're free to decide which one was the best for you.)

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

So, later this year, Windows users will hear Microsoft cry out, "PC and Security!" 🤓 ...for the umpteenth time. 

Then, sudden confusion will be upon them🤔 ...for the umpteenth time.

:lol1: When I read that, I just couldn't help myself. I could do nothing else but LOL. You know what I mean? :ok: (Where is that scripture...?)

7 minutes ago, Sheep said:

(Where is that scripture...?)

1 Thessalonians 5:3 "Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them..."

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Just now, Friends just call me Ross said:

1 Thessalonians 5:3 "Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them..."

No. I mean what's the scripture you quoted? "...will hear Microsoft cry out, "PC and Security!... sudden confusion will be upon them..." ???

Just now, Sheep said:

No. I mean what's the scripture you quoted? "...will hear Microsoft cry out, "PC and Security!... sudden confusion will be upon them..." ???

Microsoft Users Manual 8:16   :D 

15 minutes ago, Sheep said:

That's what I heard too. It was even mentioned in someone's post here a couple of years ago. However, that post showed up on April 1, and we all know what that could mean...

I was curious about that too, so with a bit of search, I found this article from 2015:

https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10. . . . With Windows 10, it's time to start thinking of Windows as something that won't see a big launch or major upgrade every few years anymore. Much like how Google's Chrome browser gets updated regularly with version numbers nobody really pays attention to, Microsoft's approach will likely result in a similar outcome

So apparently they did say that. After that, it got me curious whether if there was MS had official say to this. While I haven’t found that, this was an interesting read:

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11/

Back when Windows 10 was announced, it was going to be the last version of Windows. After that, we’d have Windows on a service, and the plan was to let it evolve over time. . . . Here’s the big issue though. Everyone that said Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows doesn’t work there anymore. . . . A good way to think of this is a rebrand, but a rebrand that’s coming at a time where there’s a big UX overhaul. . . . Microsoft will continue on with Windows as a service, so this will be a free upgrade. But also, don’t expect this to be confirmed as the last version of Windows or anything. We’ll probably get Windows 12 in a few more years.

So it looks like that while they believe a minor upgrade to the computer does not need a version change, a substantial change may warrant one.

Edited by Hinata

There will never be a "final Windows", because consumerism.

What annoys me is that, many of these new systems don't actually "add much", nor are they ground breaking in terms of new tech, advancement, etc. Many such things could be downloadable updates these days, no need to change an entire infrastructure for a couple new features.

It's like Iphones.

If I could get away with it, I'd never buy a new OS, but over time I'm required to just so I can keep up with products which only work on a "new" version of Windows, such as games, and other software.

Sometimes I get new systems are needed, if we've come leaps and bounds with technological advancements. But that's not always the case, sometimes it's just to make money on something, when it's not really "new" at all, as I say, just a couple of new features (which half the time I never use anyway).

I'd be happy with the functionalilty of Windows 2000 if it was capable of running modern games and apps.

3 hours ago, EccentricM said:

There will never be a "final Windows", because consumerism.

What annoys me is that, many of these new systems don't actually "add much", nor are they ground breaking in terms of new tech, advancement, etc. Many such things could be downloadable updates these days, no need to change an entire infrastructure for a couple new features.

It's like Iphones.

If I could get away with it, I'd never buy a new OS, but over time I'm required to just so I can keep up with products which only work on a "new" version of Windows, such as games, and other software.

Sometimes I get new systems are needed, if we've come leaps and bounds with technological advancements. But that's not always the case, sometimes it's just to make money on something, when it's not really "new" at all, as I say, just a couple of new features (which half the time I never use anyway).

I'd be happy with the functionalilty of Windows 2000 if it was capable of running modern games and apps.

This focus on money may be misplaced.  In the recent years, the upgrades to the new OS (windows, apple or android) the updates are without charge.

7 hours ago, Hinata said:

I really would have continued using the Windows XP, if not so many software stopped working on it. The only reason why I switched to Windows 7 now is because of the software incompatibility.

Nowadays, many programs don’t work on W7 anymore and only on W10. One of them is the JW Library. I still refuse to switch to W10. I have the good old WOL and Watchtower Library working on my machine.

If the day JW Library works on W11 ever comes, then I may consider. (Extra emphasis on may.)

I was so attached to windows 7, then I reluctantly switched to W10 when I was building my new custom P.C. 

Now looking back, I will tell you that windows 10 is not that bad, actually I think it’s getting too much of negative reports. 
Windows 10 is fine,  no need to wait for version 11. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

18 minutes ago, jwhess said:

This focus on money may be misplaced.  In the recent years, the upgrades to the new OS (windows, apple or android) the updates are without charge.

If you don't have a phone, PC, laptop or tablet that will handle the new operating systems, then new OS's are extremely costly. :( 

Spend big bucks on a computer, or an app and the new OS's cause them to become obsolete well before their time. :( 

2 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

If you don't have a phone, PC, laptop or tablet that will handle the new operating systems, then new OS's are extremely costly. :( 

Spend big bucks on a computer, or an app and the new OS's cause them to become obsolete well before their time. :( 

Window has an app that will tell you if Windows 11 will run well on your current PC. Even if your PC is not quite up to their standards it is likely to work if you are currently running Windows 10. 

Look for PChealthcheck at the Windws store

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Many people want more and more out of their devices. There is no way to continue to advance what the devices can do and keep them 100% compatible with all the prior OS's.

This was one of the "complaints" that people used to have with MS and Windows in the past. They would complain that the new Apple computers could do "such-and-such" while Windows was not able to do that. Part of the reason Windows lagged behind was because MS was being requires by the Gov't to remain backwards-compatible "x" number of versions - while no such requirement was placed on Apple. 

Now, when new OS's are announced people bemoan not being able to use their old OS while still wanting the new features ... it just doesn't work that way.

It must be kept in mind - if you are using an older OS on an older machine and you want to keep using it - you can. Just because support of the older OS is discontinued it does not make that OS suddenly stop working.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Many people want more and more out of their devices. There is no way to continue to advance what the devices can do and keep them 100% compatible with all the prior OS's.

This was one of the "complaints" that people used to have with MS and Windows in the past. They would complain that the new Apple computers could do "such-and-such" while Windows was not able to do that. Part of the reason Windows lagged behind was because MS was being requires by the Gov't to remain backwards-compatible "x" number of versions - while no such requirement was placed on Apple. 

Now, when new OS's are announced people bemoan not being able to use their old OS while still wanting the new features ... it just doesn't work that way.

It must be kept in mind - if you are using an older OS on an older machine and you want to keep using it - you can. Just because support of the older OS is discontinued it does not make that OS suddenly stop working.

Br. John, that is correct up to a point. If you keep typing on the old 486 Computer with DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1, it should work the same.  But you probably cannot connect to the web sources or communicate online with your old Covox audio modem.  So by yourself...OK but to join the world and our organization, probably not.  To be one (or maybe two) OS backwards might work for a while but JW Library does not function correctly with Windows 95.

4 minutes ago, jwhess said:

So by yourself...OK but to join the world and our organization, probably not.  To be one (or maybe two) OS backwards might work for a while but JW Library does not function correctly with Windows 95.

This is true, and in fact, even our jw.org has usage limitation when it comes to older computers and OS. Our jw.org has a page where it specifies this:

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=802013200&srcid=share

Which operating systems and Internet browsers are supported?

So if you wanted to give jw.org to someone who are using IE6… They would first need to upgrade it or they won’t have a good experience. (They can probably connect, but things won’t work correctly or two.)

27 minutes ago, jwhess said:

So by yourself...OK but to join the world and our organization, probably not

I agree, I was not advocating staying with an out-of-date OS ... just pointing out why they go forward and no longer support older software.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Old said:

Window has an app that will tell you if Windows 11 will run well on your current PC. Even if your PC is not quite up to their standards it is likely to work if you are currently running Windows 10. 

Look for PChealthcheck at the Windws store

You can get the Check for compatibility app here.

Or: Direct link to the check compatibility app. (Windows PC Health Check)