JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Can you become too old for something?

I like video games as a hobby. I grew up on them and have favorite franchises/characters. I have plushies and posters. Now that I am older I watch Twitch streams of others playing video games.

Something I realized is that most of the people I am watching are in their early 20s like me or late 20s. I wonder what the situation will be if I am in my 50s and still play games. Will it be weird? Maybe the new system will have come by then and I'll just stay in my 20s forever. Wouldn't that just be totally perfect? Haha

Depends. I think being interested in certain things aimed at younger people, and then being childish or acting like a child are two different things.

I think the whole "video games are for children" is an outdated concept, people of all ages play them, because they are forms of entertainment, like movies, boardgames, reading books, etc.

People mistakenly equate adult = serious and boring. But that's not true at all.

Video games are just a modern form of entertainment, go back one hundred years and grown men were playing cards and chess, it's the same thing.

Edited by EccentricM

Nope. A person is not limited to, “age proper”, whatever. Stay young at heart until Jehovah sorts out what a grownup is. When I was young, a child, I loved books. Children’s poetry. I still do. And I don’t intend to grow out of it. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I moved this topic out of Comfort & Support since the topic of video games is not a health related issue.

Im 45, and just got my PS5 😉 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On 7/23/2021 at 7:06 AM, pnutts said:

My wife says "the only difference between men and boys is the size of their toys"😁

And the price. 

A game is a wonderful entertainment and a means to express emotions.. It's become a form of art already.

I believe in the NW, people will continue to create games for educational purposes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Look at coloring. It was a kids-only thing when I was young, and yet I remember my parents sometimes coloring with us kids. And now? Adult coloring books are all the rage! It's color! It's creative! It's so relaxing and a big stress relief after a hard day. Get out the coloring books, everyone! Let's color!

12 hours ago, Julieann said:

Look at coloring. It was a kids-only thing when I was young, and yet I remember my parents sometimes coloring with us kids. And now? Adult coloring books are all the rage! It's color! It's creative! It's so relaxing and a big stress relief after a hard day. Get out the coloring books, everyone! Let's color!

Paint by numbers is so relaxing for me!

Edited by Skye

On 7/19/2021 at 3:35 AM, Beyond the Sky said:

I like video games as a hobby. I grew up on them and have favorite franchises/characters. I have plushies and posters. Now that I am older I watch Twitch streams of others playing video games.

Something I realized is that most of the people I am watching are in their early 20s like me or late 20s. I wonder what the situation will be if I am in my 50s and still play games. Will it be weird? Maybe the new system will have come by then and I'll just stay in my 20s forever. Wouldn't that just be totally perfect? Haha

Exactly the same. I don't play anymore, I watch streamers. I'm interested in some games but I don't have the time to play.

I'd like to get a new computer first but prices are too high for what this is worth.